Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Question: NJ resident buying longgun in PA

OK I searched tons of kinda like this posts.... didnt really find the exact match... went to ATF and found this:

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides.

SO here is my question- a NJ resident wants to buy a CX4 Storm from me.
    Reading above, he comes to my shop to purchase and if the rifle is legal here and there, he is ok. Capacities of semiautomatic handguns and rifles (total in magazine excluding chamber) are limited to 15 rounds in NJ.

I just put him in my bound book as "disposition" with NJ FID?

"In New Jersey, firearm owners are required to get a lifetime Firearm Purchaser Identification card (commonly known as a FPIC, FPID or FID card) for the purchase of rifles, shotguns or handguns."
    Gallagher Guns LLC Gun Shop/NRA Certified Instructor -Swiftwater

(Chester County)

Default Re: Question: NJ resident buying longgun in PA

Quote Originally Posted by racingfast View Post
    OK I searched tons of kinda like this posts.... didnt really find the exact match... went to ATF and found this:

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides.

SO here is my question- a NJ resident wants to buy a CX4 Storm from me.
    Reading above, he comes to my shop to purchase and if the rifle is legal here and there, he is ok. Capacities of semiautomatic handguns and rifles (total in magazine excluding chamber) are limited to 15 rounds in NJ.

I just put him in my bound book as "disposition" with NJ FID?

"In New Jersey, firearm owners are required to get a lifetime Firearm Purchaser Identification card (commonly known as a FPIC, FPID or FID card) for the purchase of rifles, shotguns or handguns."
    Basically correct except an NJFID is not statutorily required for handguns (which can only be purchased in NJ). Also, at time of transfer, you are required to have the transferee fill out a certificate of eligibility.

NJS 2C:58-3b.Firearms purchaser identification card. No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of nor receive, purchase or otherwise acquire an antique cannon or a rifle or shotgun, other than an antique rifle or shotgun, unless the purchaser, assignee, donee, receiver or holder is licensed as a dealer under this chapter or possesses a valid firearms purchaser identification card, and first exhibits said card to the seller, donor, transferor or assignor, and unless the purchaser, assignee, donee, receiver or holder signs a written certification, on a form prescribed by the superintendent, which shall indicate that he presently complies with the requirements of subsection c. of this section and shall contain his name, address and firearms purchaser identification card number or dealer's registration number. The said certification shall be retained by the seller, as provided in paragraph (4) of subsection a. of N.J.S.2C:58-2, or, in the case of a person who is not a dealer, it may be filed with the chief of police of the municipality in which he resides or with the superintendent.
    COE at http://njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-634.pdf
    Last edited by tl_3237; September 11th, 2013 at 01:58 PM.
    IANAL

If its sold as a rifle it can be transferred to him but it must be shipped to a NJ FFL to be transferred to him. A NJ FOID card must be shown to you at the time of purchase.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    If its sold as a rifle it can be transferred to him but it must be shipped to a NJ FFL to be transferred to him. A NJ FOID card must be shown to you at the time of purchase.
    A longarm can be sold, transferred and delivered by an FFL to an out-of-state resident without the need of, in this case, an NJ FFL. That is provided that all procedures and laws of the state of sale and the transferee's state of residence are followed, this is allowed under:

18 USC 922(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver-

(3) any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the licensee's place of business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee's place of business is located if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States (and any licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of both States), and (B) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;
    The physical transfer of handguns, on the other hand, must be accomplish by an FFL in the transferee's state of residence.
    IANAL

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info...

(Monroe County)

THANKS EVERYONE.... as always!
    Gallagher Guns LLC Gun Shop/NRA Certified Instructor -Swiftwater