Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Question Need help choosing Comp Gun!!!

Hey Guys!

So, I need some help and maybe I'm asking too much but hopefully you guys can chime in. I'm really interested in getting more involved with USPSA and IDPA but holy cow is it almost impossible to figure out what you need to really know online.

So here's my question. I'm not really sure how the scoring and power factor scheme all plays out, so what I really want to know is what caliber is best for shooting in these leagues on the competitive level? Is it 9mm, .40, or .45? I'm not interested in shooting revolver. I here a lot of good things about guys using GLOCKs competively whether it be the 34 or 35. But then I also read about guys shooting 1911's.

Please.....can anyone out there stupify this for me?? LOL. I currently shoot static steel for fun and shoot with a .22 and 9mm, but there is no power factor involved etc. Just shoot all 5 steel plates as fast as you can.

Thanks a ton!!!!!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Need help choosing Comp Gun!!!

40 does not seem to be very popular in competition shooting. Not sure why though. Most popular is 9mm. It hasto do with power ratings but. ot exactly sure how that all works

(Columbia County)

I shoot IDPA and use an S&W M&P Pro 9mm and have also used a Ruger 1911. Caliber is all about what you feel comfortable shooting. The most popular caliber is the 9mm because of it's soft shooting characteristics and it is fairly cheap (compared to the other calibers) to shoot. Really whether it's a 9mm, 40, or a 45 is completely up to the shooter and shooting a 1911 puts you in your own division. Sorry but I don't yet have any experience with shooting USPSA so can't help with exactly how the power factor works there hopefully someone else can chime in with that info. Oh and a lot of people shoot Glocks in IDPA.

(Montgomery County)

IDPA:
    No scoring advantage based on caliber or powerfactor. There are 5 divisions:
    SSP - Minimum 9mm 125pf: Glock 34s and M&P9 PROs are the most common

ESP - Minimum 9mm 125pf: Glock 34s and M&P9 PROs are the most common some 9mm 1911s and 2011s

CDP - Minimum .45 165PF: 1911s rule the roost here though you will see some plastic from time to time

ESR - Minimum 165pf: these guns have things in the middle that spin
    SSR - Minimum .38 105pf: these guns have things in the middle that spin

USPSA:
    Production - only scored as minor regardless of caliber or PF must be min of 125: Glock34s, M&P9 PROs, some CZs and Tanfos (usually run by some of the top shooters)

Limited - Can shoot Minor or Major (165pf), scoring advantage for major. Must be at least .40 cal for major: lots of Glock 35s and M&P40 PROs, also many 2011s

Open - Can shoot Minor or Major (165pf), scoring advantage for major. very few plastic gun in Open. highly tuned 2011 variants are king here

Limited 10 - Same as limited but only 10 rounds in the mag

Single Stage - IDK some old gun

If you are just getting started I would recommend getting an M&P40 PRO or Glock 35 along with a 9mm conversion barrel and 9mm mags. This will let you shoot ESP in IDPA using 9mm, production in USPSA using 9mm and Limited in USPSA using .40 all with the same gun.

If you have never shot practical pistol matches I would ignore all of that. As long as you have a good strong side holster and 3 mags you are good to go for IDPA. Come out to a local match and give it a try if you like it then go nuts.

We shoot at New Holland the first sunday of each month come out out an give it a try. Shoot me a message if you want more info on our match

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by steve471 View Post
    I shoot IDPA and use an S&W M&P Pro 9mm and have also used a Ruger 1911. Caliber is all about what you feel comfortable shooting. The most popular caliber is the 9mm because of it's soft shooting characteristics and it is fairly cheap (compared to the other calibers) to shoot. Really whether it's a 9mm, 40, or a 45 is completely up to the shooter and shooting a 1911 puts you in your own division. Sorry but I don't yet have any experience with shooting USPSA so can't help with exactly how the power factor works there hopefully someone else can chime in with that info. Oh and a lot of people shoot Glocks in IDPA.
    Thanks steve! That's pretty much what I've been hearing from who I've spoken with in regards to feeling comfortable and price to shoot. How is the S&W by the way?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by woodsk View Post
    IDPA:
    No scoring advantage based on caliber or powerfactor. There are 5 divisions:
    SSP - Minimum 9mm 125pf: Glock 34s and M&P9 PROs are the most common

ESP - Minimum 9mm 125pf: Glock 34s and M&P9 PROs are the most common some 9mm 1911s and 2011s

CDP - Minimum .45 165PF: 1911s rule the roost here though you will see some plastic from time to time

USPSA:
    Production - only scored as minor regardless of caliber or PF must be min of 125: Glock34s, M&P9 PROs, some CZs and Tanfos (usually run by some of the top shooters)

Limited - Can shoot Minor or Major (165pf), scoring advantage for major. Must be at least .40 cal for major: lots of Glock 35s and M&P40 PROs, also many 2011s

Open - Can shoot Minor or Major (165pf), scoring advantage for major. very few plastic gun in Open. highly tuned 2011 variants are king here

Limited 10 - Same as limited but only 10 rounds in the mag

Single Stage - IDK some old gun

If you are just getting started I would recommend getting an M&P40 PRO or Glock 35 along with a 9mm conversion barrel and 9mm mags. This will let you shoot ESP in IDPA using 9mm, production in USPSA using 9mm and Limited in USPSA using .40 all with the same gun.

If you have never shot practical pistol matches I would ignore all of that. As long as you have a good strong side holster and 3 mags you are good to go for IDPA. Come out to a local match and give it a try if you like it then go nuts.

We shoot at New Holland the first sunday of each month come out out an give it a try. Shoot me a message if you want more info on our match
    Awesome breakdown wood!!! Oh man do I wish this type of breakdown was listed somewhere online! I think you just answered all my questions in one post for the most part. Basically a 9mm is perfect for IDPA since there is no scoring advantage for higher caliber. USPSA sounds like both a 9mm and a .40 would be good to have. Is there a huge scoring advantage to shooting a .40 vs a 9mm? I'd like to get better at shooting with a higher caliber but if a 9mm can do well and beat higher calibers then I see no point in having the .40.

Thanks again! Huge help!

Also, are the sunday matches all year long?

(Lawrence County)

SSP in IDPA and USPSA Production Divisions have comparable gear and a G34 is very competitive. The 9mm, however, will limit you if you want to shoot the with the most versatility.

Now....go with a G35 and you can shoot SSP or ESP in IDPA and Production, L10 and Limited in USPSA with a VERY competitive gun that will give up very little.

If you prefer the 1911, a STI Eagle (2011) in .40 with a bushing barrel will run in ESP as well as Limited and L10 and have all it takes to dominate.

Personally, I think .40 loaded down is softer than 9mm.

Lycanlotsofoptionsthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by football061 View Post
    Awesome breakdown wood!!! Oh man do I wish this type of breakdown was listed somewhere online! I think you just answered all my questions in one post for the most part. Basically a 9mm is perfect for IDPA since there is no scoring advantage for higher caliber. USPSA sounds like both a 9mm and a .40 would be good to have. Is there a huge scoring advantage to shooting a .40 vs a 9mm? I'd like to get better at shooting with a higher caliber but if a 9mm can do well and beat higher calibers then I see no point in having the .40.

Thanks again! Huge help!

Also, are the sunday matches all year long?
    The new holland matches are year round as long as range conditions are safe, we shoot rain or shine.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    SSP in IDPA and USPSA Production Divisions have comparable gear and a G34 is very competitive. The 9mm, however, will limit you if you want to shoot the with the most versatility.

Now....go with a G35 and you can shoot SSP or ESP in IDPA and Production, L10 and Limited in USPSA with a VERY competitive gun that will give up very little.

If you prefer the 1911, a STI Eagle (2011) in .40 with a bushing barrel will run in ESP as well as Limited and L10 and have all it takes to dominate.

Personally, I think .40 loaded down is softer than 9mm.

Lycanlotsofoptionsthrope
    Thanks Lycan!! I plan on getting into reloading at some point as well and I was tossing the idea around in my head of a loaded down .40. I think after talking to you guys here, and with wood's input on a 9mm conversion barrel, I may be in the market for a G35. It sounds like GLOCK will give me a lot of versatility, hopefully I won't become one of those crazy GLOCK guys

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by woodsk View Post

Maybe some Loc-Tite will stop that ;-)

Thanks for the informative post

+rep for you