Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sig Sauer P-6?

(Centre County)

Default Sig Sauer P-6?

I think thats the model.
    I have chance to buy one of those Sig P-6 - Old west germany Police trade ins i was told - for cheap.

Since I don't own any sigs, I thought I'll give it the shot, but I know nothing about it. Can someone tell me more about it
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Sig Sauer P-6?

Upside: Great single-stack 9MM with Sig quality, accuracy, and reliability. Unreal cheap price right now.

Downside: Sig controls are significantly different from every other pistol, so it can be difficult to switch from a Sig to another pistol and back. Magazine capacity is just 8 rounds in a pistol the size of a P226 with nearly twice the capacity. I always say: "If 8 ain't enough, you need to practice more". Another downside is that the mags are very hard to find, so get one with an extra mag.

I have seen these as low as $250 including two mags (AIM Surplus). Great gun for the money.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

Worth every penny. Exceptional accuracy, durability, and reliability for the money. Go for it, you will not regret it. I have had many students with Sigs, too many to count. I have never heard any negative feedback. Not once. That is hard to say about many other manufacturers. I own several Sigs myself and am VERY happy with them.
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor.

(Allegheny County)

I owned one. I will be the one naysayer here.

It had many many feeding issues, mostly though it would FTF the first round off the mag. Sometimes it would FTF mid-mag, it had FTE a few times. It was pretty old and beat up, and so where the mags.
    I have heard that some of them had diff feed ramps but I dont know where that info is now to referance or what it was that you where to look for to tell what one you had. I didnt run any, but I was told those ones would not feed HP's.
    It was heavy as hell for being not a full size gun and, like was mentioned, low capacity.
    The decocker I couldnt get used to, but thats personal preferance. Since then I forgot that lesson and bought and sold another DA/SA decocker.

Mainly I got rid of it cause I thought I would carry it, and from what I said you can see why that didnt work out.

(Montgomery County)

Excellent gun for an excellent price.

It is about the same size as a P239 - just a bit bigger. It uses a single stack magazine so the grip is slimmer than a P228/P229 (double stack mags) making it easier to conceal.

The first trigger pull (double action) can be very heavy since the guns were designed for the hard euro 9mm primers. Its an easy fix. Just change out the stock hammer spring (or main spring) with an 18lb spring. It should make that DA pull right around 10 pounds.

The other issues that some of the P6's have is that the feed ramp on the barrel is angled in a way that makes feeding HP ammo very unrealiable. It is a very slight difference and it's hard to tell unless you have the two barrels side by side.

Like 40sw said, factory mags are almost impossible to find so make sure you get at least two of them with the gun.

Here are some size comparison pictures of a P225 (same as a P6) and a P239.
    The P239 has the Hogue finger groove grips.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Armstrong County)

I have to recommend, own 2, nary an issue with multiple types of ammo including JHP. It ain't nuttin like my 220's but it's a Sig of good quality and price. My only burb would be on the hard DA but the SA reset is great!
    The original point and click interface was a Colt Peacemaker!

(Centre County)

one that I'm looking at comes with 3 mags and holster(although no idea made by who). Gun itself, eventho exhibit much in the way of exterior holster wear, but it seems to be in excellent mechanical condition.

Isn't it basicaly a issued version of older P-225?
    So I presume things like night sight, grips are easy to find, along with Mag, but I guess not.

Or I can get P220 with night sight for little more. But I kind of like to stick with 9mm, instead of 45.
    If i can find older P220 chambered in 9mm, I'd be all over that.

I never owned Sig, and with all the positive things I've been hearing about it, I think its about time for me to get one..
    Last edited by Mity2; May 5th, 2008 at 06:31 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Montgomery County)

one that I'm looking at comes with 3 mags and holster(although no idea made by who).
    The holster it comes with is the original German police holster that was part the German LEOs equipment.

Gun itself, eventho exhibit much in the way of exterior holster wear, but it seems to be in excellent mechanical condition.
    That is the way most of them come - lots of external wear, but internally excellent condition.

Isn't it basicaly a issued version of older P-225?
    So I presume things like night sight, grips are easy to find, along with Mag, but I guess not.
    Yes, the P6 is a P225. The only difference is the cut in the hammer and the heavier hammer spring. Some P6s come with a Euro mag release (heel type) and some with the American release.
    Because of all of the P6s that have flooded the market, grips and mags are very difficult to find. When you do find them, you'll pay dearly.
    The pachymyer grips in my picture are now selling for $100.00 + dollars
    Sights are the same as all of the other Sigs and are easy to find.

Or I can get P220 with night sight for little more. But I kind of like to stick with 9mm, instead of 45.
    If i can find older P220 chambered in 9mm, I'd be all over that.
    Your call, both are excellent guns. If you buy one, you'll end up getting the other one soon after

P220s in 9mm are around but most have Euro mag releases. There were quite a few of those that came into the US as German LEO trade ins just like the P6s.
    The American mag release 9mm P220s are rare and sell for $$$.

If you buy the P6 and don't like it, you'll have no problem selling it for what you paid for it. If it comes with three mags, you can sell the gun with one or two mags and sell the other mags for $40-50 each.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

West of the mountains, south of the lake, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I bought one P6 from AIM surplus, and two from Dan's Ammo in Apollo, PA. All three have been excellent. Accurate, reliable, and easy to shoot. After a few hundred rounds each and a new spring kit, one went to live with my daughter in Pittsburgh (Shadyside). She had been packing a j-frame, finds the P6 easier and faster to hit with (still has her j). One is my wife's house gun, and the last one is mine. I think they are one of the best buys in handguns at present. They are Sigs, a high quality/well known manufacturer. Take a walk into any shop and see what you can buy for 259.00. Spare mags are available from Top Gun Supply, and grips (wood and plastic) are starting to pop up all over the place due to the numbers of these handguns imported.

(Centre County)

I got one last week from Dan's Ammo. Dan was really nice and let me and a friend go through four or five of each grade. I ended up going with the grade 2 for $259. It shoots really well and had no malfunctions in the 100 or so rounds I put through it. I have not tried any hollowpoints though.

It feels better in my hand than the XDs or P95s. I think it is a really good gun, but it is the only handgun I have ever owned.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast