Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: a Pit Bull came this ---> <--- close to getting dropped...

Quote Originally Posted by Rblakely View Post
    Had to look twice, thought that was REPO doing a self portrait for a second.
    DOH!!! Thought you had me huh lol
    People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteG View Post
    I'd go slowly with that. "Showing aggression" does not justify killing a dog.

In Pennsylvania, to "willfully and maliciously" kill a dog, including one's own dog, is considered animal cruelty and a first degree misdemeanor. One can get up to five years in jail, and will kiss their gun rights good-by forever regardless of the actual sentence imposed.

If one poisons a dog (as distinct from shooting the dog), the specified penalty "shall be" $1,000 fine and up to two years in jail, of both, and the court can order a pre-sentence mental evaluation. Just putting the poison out is a second degree misdemeanor (and, yes, anyone who would do that is crazy).

There are exceptions for euthanizing a dog in accordance with statute, and where the dog the is "taken or found in the act of actually destroying any domestic animal or domestic fowl."

There is also justification to kill certain dogs in the dog law:

3 P.S. § 459-501. Killing dogs; dogs as nuisances

(a) Legal to kill certain dogs.--Any person may kill any dog which he sees in the act of pursuing or wounding or killing any domestic animal, wounding or killing other dogs, cats or household pets, or pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings, whether or not such a dog bears the license tag required by the provisions of this act. There shall be no liability on such persons in damages or otherwise for such killing.

"Acting aggressively" is not "actually destroying," nor is it the same thing as "pursuing or wounding or killing." Nor does it matter if the dog is on your sacred property or not (although dogs found in animal enclosures will be considered private nuisances, and may be "detained" so long as they are treated humanely). Notice this does not justify killing a dog which has in the past pursued, wounded or killed domestic animals or people.

Nor may one kill a dog for merely "pursuing" other dogs, cats or household pets - they tend to do that all the time.

If you have a beef with the dog's owner, take it up with the dog's owner. If an animal is kept in violation of the dog law, or is aggressive and has attacked people, call animal control. But shooting a dog because they scare you is illegal, and it should be.

On the other hand, if one is forced to shoot a dog because it is actually attacking livestock, a pet or a human, there is civil immunity from suit by the dog's owner.
    The law clearly states pursuing to be a legal reason to kill yet your statement says other wise.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteG View Post
    (a) Legal to kill certain dogs.--Any person may kill any dog which he sees in the act of pursuing or wounding or killing any domestic animal, wounding or killing other dogs, cats or household pets, or pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings, whether or not such a dog bears the license tag required by the provisions of this act. There shall be no liability on such persons in damages or otherwise for such killing.
    Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    The law clearly states pursuing to be a legal reason to kill yet your statement says other wise.
    Pursuing is listed for humans or domestic animals, but not for other dogs, cats or household pets. Domestic animals *usually* refers to horses, cows, goats, etc., e.g. animals we keep other than pets. A pot-bellied pig could go either way depending on the judge.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Pursuing is listed for humans or domestic animals, but not for other dogs, cats or household pets. Domestic animals *usually* refers to horses, cows, goats, etc., e.g. animals we keep other than pets. A pot-bellied pig could go either way depending on the judge.
    So if a dog isn't a domestic animal then what are they?

(Bucks County)

^ +1 inquiring minds want to know.

(Delaware County)

Dogs and cats are considered 'pets', along with a few others (ferrets, rabbits, hamsters, snakes, parrots, etc.). Domestic *usually* refers to 'farm animals'. The point is, though, that dogs and cats are specified within the listed statute, and pursuing of them does not release one from liability if one shoots them. You can argue the definitions all you want with .gov, I'm just gonna go with what I read.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Dogs and cats are considered 'pets', along with a few others (ferrets, rabbits, hamsters, snakes, parrots, etc.). Domestic *usually* refers to 'farm animals'. The point is, though, that dogs and cats are specified within the listed statute, and pursuing of them does not release one from liability if one shoots them. You can argue the definitions all you want with .gov, I'm just gonna go with what I read.
    A domestic animal is any animal that requires a human to feed it for it to survive. I would think that a dog falls into this catagory.

(Lehigh County)

Thank you for clarifying that, PeteG. I'm not one to go out in search of any aggressive dog. I'd always stay on the high side of caution. In our case, it looks like our neighbor has been warned (by the twp perhaps?) & she's been walking her dog on a short leash. Now that I'm carrying sometimes, I pay closer attention to my surroundings to stay out of trouble. Thanks again.

(Cumberland County)

I feel and would have done pretty much 100% or everything you did. Very glad you didn't have to shoot the dog, and you acted wisely in not doing so just by seeing it acting aggressively, likely, just a reaction from your dogs actions. Not saying your dogs did anything wrong. They were defending what's theirs. Most dogs will put on a show of growling and barking before actually fighting. Simply a warning to to other dog. I believe both the pit and your dogs were all acting defensively, which is a good thing.

Dobmermans have always been a favorite dog of mine. I've never had one. I do intend on getting a red colored one once I own a house of my own. Had a white GSD, a collie mix, both which have been put down within the past 2 years. We currently have a 4 month old Labradoodle. Not a scarey dog by all means, but he's a riot

(Lawrence County)

OP, you did well. No one got bit, no animals got hurt, and you didn't have to put the dog down. Pretty happy ending there.

My dogs have gotten away from me a few times, even though my wife and I do our best to keep them from getting loose. One figured out how to unlatch the gate to the back yard, one busted through a storm door, and another dug under the fence. I'm glad that they behaved themselves and were returned by someone friendly or came back to the front door and waited on their own. However, if they got aggressive I would understand it if someone put it down.

My wife and I have been on the receiving end of a loose aggressive dog. You can't tell the difference between the dog going after one of your pets or you. The amount of time you have to react is just barely enough to clear leather if you have to, and good luck getting in an accurate shot. It's even worse if the aggressive dog gets to bite. Then there's trying to separate two or more dogs that are going at one another without getting bit (hint, it won't happen).

Sometimes dogs will get loose, and there isn't much that can be done. What would be upsetting is if the owner of the loose dog just didn't care about trying to keep the dog secure, because that's just willfully being negligent.

As for a dog in pursuit... if a dog is showing clear signs of aggression, actively charging at you, and shows intent to attack, then why wouldn't you defend yourself or your animals?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast