Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AK Underfolders

(Berks County)

Default AK Underfolders

My TGI AMD 65 should arrive this week, so I'm thinking some type of underfolder may be my next Ak purchase. (Or a pistol, but I've pretty much decided on an M92 for that. Just depends on price/availability which is first.) Looking for some recommendations around the $700 range.

The Yugos seem to be a mixed bag. I've seen a couple with only Century engraving on the receiver. What's the scoop on those? I've seen another Century that was also engraved DCI. Another Nodak Spud. Seems they would be a far better choice. Dan Coonan, right? Are there any builds to avoid?

Then there are the WASR's. They seem a little pricey given what they are. I suppose some are good, some bad like other WASR's.

Another choice seems to be Polish underfolders, though they do appear to command a premium. They also seem to be hit/miss with the receivers/barrels. Some Euro, some US.

(Perry County)

Default Re: AK Underfolders

I have a Lancaster Arms with a Nodak Spud receiver. I also have a Polytech Legend. The Lancaster Arms is a really well built rifle, as nice as the Polytech IMO.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Allegheny County)

There are Polish kits at Arms of America right now for $299. I think their chrome barrels are $140. Add a receiver, some rivets, and beg / borrow some tools and you can have a good rifle built to higher standards than your average Century gun.

And I mean that. I was looking at Egyptian Century builds at the last show for $850-899 and you couldn't have gotten $400 out of me for one of them. Rivets were awful. Rough as can be. I've spray painted guns that looked better. Just junk.

The best Polish guns have original barrels. We've had this conversation before so you know what I'm going to say already. That ship has kinda sailed unless you can find one in the wild. I have one. Its far and away the best shooting AK I have.

Building isn't always the most cost effective. But if you look at some of the shit Century's jobbers push out...

I'm Jim fucking Fuller...

0 effort is made to get correct rivets. The absolute minimum amount of fitting is done to get the bolt carrier to move back and forth uninterrupted. Magwells get whacked open with no regard to the size of the magazine.

I really liked my P UF. I'm rebuilding it right now. I got it as a basket case. And it will be a proper rifle again soon.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    There are Polish kits at Arms of America right now for $299. I think their chrome barrels are $140. Add a receiver, some rivets, and beg / borrow some tools and you can have a good rifle built to higher standards than your average Century gun.
    ^^ This. I actually just finished a Polish UF build - well still have to coat it after I put a few more rounds thru it. AK -builder kit (w/ headspaced barrel) on a AK-builder flat.

(Wayne County)

I got Yugo M70 AB2 from classic firearms for $650 right before panic. These are now $800 with shooters package.

Great shooter and a beauty.

(Berks County)

I think I might need to research whats needed to build from a kit. That's new ground for me. So a typical kit is everything less a barrel and receiver. I will do some research, but are Euro receivers available? Seems Euro barrels are not common. Is is safe to say that most people building from kits today are using US receivers and barrels?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    I think I might need to research whats needed to build from a kit. That's new ground for me. So a typical kit is everything less a barrel and receiver. I will do some research, but are Euro receivers available? Seems Euro barrels are not common. Is is safe to say that most people building from kits today are using US receivers and barrels?
    Yes. Or Polish shells in 80% format and drilling them. That's what I do now. I bought the drilling jig, and buy them prehardened and then just build them according to whatever kit I would build. Or you can fold them. That would require a press and a jig. I have headspace gauges, and weld the rails in myself. Outside of that - I use the rivet jaws to do the rivets. And it works extremely well.

There is quite a bit of little tools or jigs to get going. But you can get it done with a hand drill and some patience, if you have the drilling jig. Or if you have a press, just get the one to fold flats and go that route. There's all kinds of rivet jigs and press jigs but the long rivets I just hammer. May sound old school, but it's not so bad.

If you're even moderately handy it's better than just buying AK's IMO. You can build whatever you want. Want an AK 74 underfolder? No problem. Side folding Yugo? Yup. Pistol? Yup. Want to make your own Krink clone, sure!

At the rate it seems your interest level in AK's seems to be going. Grabbing the tooling NOW, instead of 4 rifles later - might be a wise idea.

American barrels can be had from all over. Chrome, non, and even nitride coated. Green Mountain makes some of the best at this point. But Euro barrels are still available through places like KVAR. Apex Gun Parts, and some of the larger AK shops. Arms of America has kits with the barrel pre-installed and the barrel populated. You literally just push the barrel back out (it's already headspaced) get your rec squared away - then push it all back in and go.

So does AK builder. <--- they also have nearly all the tools and jigs you could want. Toth tool has a few that get you around the need for a press. Their barrel tool is basically a screw press. And it's so smooth, I bought it just to not have to deal with a rickety shop press when installing the barrel to set up head space. You can literally move the barrel hairs at a time.

If you already have a cheap welder, drill press, or press. Get the remaining tools. You're already 75% of the way there. I don't spot weld the rails in. I drill the rec where they are, line them up and hit them through the holes as I fill them in. Then I grind down the welds. Spot welding is better, but that's something I wouldn't have any other real world use for - so I refuse to buy one. A dremel would also be a must IMO. There's some fitting involved and it makes life so much easier cutting unique patterns into a rec for some of the folders.

If you do decide to go that route. I'm not an expert. But I can help you figure out what you'll need. And show you where to get it.

(Berks County)

Thanks for some info to get started. I'm a machinist/toolmaker, so the actual work doesn't scare me. And I have a friend with a decent shop (mill, lathe, arbor press, tooling). Just need to decide if I can devote the time to do it at this stage in my life. So the journey down the rabbit hole begins...

(Allegheny County)

You're golden. If anyone can just hop right in and do this kind of thing. Its you. You have the back ground and access to the tools to make this as easy as it can be.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post

I don't spot weld the rails in. I drill the rec where they are, line them up and hit them through the holes as I fill them in. Then I grind down the welds. Spot welding is better, but that's something I wouldn't have any other real world use for - so I refuse to buy one.
    I didn't spot weld my lower rails either. I bought a entry level welder from Tractor Supply and plug welded the holes, too. grinded and sanded the welds flat afterwards. More time, yes, but at least I have a welder that I can use around the house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast