Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Air rifle recommendations

I tried a search, and didn't come up with anything exactly on point, so I figured I'd post here.

I am looking to pick up an inexpensive bb / pellet rifle to play with in the yard and possibly for target shooting in the basement. My experience growing up was with a pneumatic pump rifle, and now it looks like there is a few new breeds out there since my last purchase.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a bb / pellet rifle? I was looking at the Crosman stuff and noticed the break barrel type rifles. I was intrigued, as it sounded like they are pretty accurate, but am I correct these are only compatible with pellets? not BBs? And am I correct that it appeared you loaded one at a time (I guess this is moot if not compatible with BBs) as opposed to having a reservoir.

I'd be curious about any recommendations or feedback you all can provide. Thanks in advance.

(York County)

Default Re: Air rifle recommendations

Check out that Gamo hunter models. They are accurate from what I hear and work well as a target wepon as well as a sporting arm. The break bbl seems to be the way to go these days, but I don't own one, so don't quote me on it. I'm just pasin gon what I've heard from my search for the same thing.

Dave
    3%

(York County)

RWS 34 Panther

i shoot only pellets but for under $200 this air rifle is pretty good...
    FOAC * GOA * SAF * NRA Life Member

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by rev214 View Post
    RWS 34 Panther

i shoot only pellets but for under $200 this air rifle is pretty good...
    Sounds like a nice rifle. Can you use BBs with this type of rifle? Or is it pellets only.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by WitsBusa View Post
    Sounds like a nice rifle. Can you use BBs with this type of rifle? Or is it pellets only.
    i think its only pellets, but that's all i shoot...i have the hardwood Monte Carlo model which is about $10 more...pyramid air is selling additional 34 models now that you may be interested in...i didn't purchase the scoped rifle initially, so i just bought the Leapers 3-9x40 AO Mil-Dot Scope with R/G, 1" Tube and the Leapers Accushot 1-Pc Mount w/1" Rings, High, 11mm Dovetail...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by rev214 View Post
    i think its only pellets, but that's all i shoot...i have the hardwood Monte Carlo model which is about $10 more...pyramid air is selling additional 34 models now that you may be interested in...i didn't purchase the scoped rifle initially, so i just bought the Leapers 3-9x40 AO Mil-Dot Scope with R/G, 1" Tube and the Leapers Accushot 1-Pc Mount w/1" Rings, High, 11mm Dovetail...
    Thanks a lot for the information and recommendation.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    Check out that Gamo hunter models. They are accurate from what I hear and work well as a target wepon as well as a sporting arm. The break bbl seems to be the way to go these days, but I don't own one, so don't quote me on it. I'm just pasin gon what I've heard from my search for the same thing.

Dave

I'll take a look at the Gamo stuff Brown-Bear.. I can't believe how many options are out there. Seems to me that back when I was using my BB gun to terrorize leaves and cans, it was crosman or daisy.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by WitsBusa View Post
    I'll take a look at the Gamo stuff Brown-Bear.. I can't believe how many options are out there. Seems to me that back when I was using my BB gun to terrorize leaves and cans, it was crosman or daisy.
    i haven't tried this one yet, but it looks nice for the price...
    Ruger Air Hawk Elite .177 caliber Air Rifle

http://www.pyramydair.com/p/ruger-ai...ir-rifle.shtml

(Philadelphia County)

I have a Taurus Air Rifle, I got it about 15 years ago, cleaned it once, and its still shooting like a champ. Damn accurate too.

Don't know if they still make them or not though.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Wayne County)

For low cost plinking and general shooting, I would simply stick with Crosman. I have had Crosman pellet guns since I was a kid and always had good luck with them. If you need more accuracy, make sure you get one with a rifled barrel as many of the low-end Crosman's are just smooth bore. If you're looking for higher end accuracy and maybe some pest control then some of the other recommendations you've gotten here are the way to go.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast