Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Zastava OPAP-first thoughts

Received my OPAP last week and put a few rounds through it today just to check basics. So here's a few initial thoughts.

Seems pretty well built, but machining is average with a few stray marks/dings here and there. They were blued over, so happened prior to assembly.

Metal finish is above average.

Wood finish is kind of rough/dirty.

Rifle had steel chips from machining inside. A few in the receiver, but I cleaned a good amount out of the gas tube.

Seems pretty accurate. I shot about 20 rounds at 25 yards standing off hand and results are shown below. The Yugo cheek slap is a myth. It's more like a punch in the face with a typical cheek weld.

I was very pleased with my first few shots, but after that they kept drifting right, which I'm pretty sure was because of me purposely not keeping my cheek not tight against the stock.

I also experimented with moving my weld around a little. I was able to get minimal to no 'punch' by moving my head back on the stock about 2-3". That allowed me to raise my head ever so slightly so the stock wasn't right against my upper jaw. More in line with my teeth where there's a little more cushion. A little odd, but doable. Maybe I'll look into a different buttstock or try finding another factory one to modify.

Overall, pretty satisfied but need to consider doing something about the 'punch.'
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Columbia County)

Thumbs down Re: Zastava OPAP-first thoughts

I bought one last October. I put about 50 rounds through it. I couldn’t get zeroed. I don’t know if it was the rifle or me compensating for what you call the cheek punch. After leaving the range with a headache, I did some research and found some people reduced this effect by moving their cheek weld forward or backward on the stock. Some people replaced the stock and others reported no such problem. I decided not to lose teeth over the issue and sold it during the buying panic. I bought it because I was looking for a traditional looking AK. The one I bought had new wooden stocks which made it look good. Unfortunately it didn’t shoot as well as it looked. When I buy a gun I prefer it to work free of defects right out of the box, therefore I don’t recommend this brand of AK

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Zastava OPAP-first thoughts

Best thing to do is to move your check up to where your nose is almost up to the back of the receiver.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo
    Best thing to do is to move your check up to where your nose is almost up to the back of the receiver.
    I used to have a fixed stock M70 (same stock as PAP). I always used the 'nose on dust cover' cheekweld, and never had a problem with discomfort.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Berks County)

Thanks. I'll try that technique next time out.

(Westmoreland County)

I have an opap and like it fine. I went with a Russian bp-2 regular height rail with a red dot optic and its great in this configuration. first outing with open sights almost gave me a shiner but swelling is all I got. with the rdo ,poa and poi are the same @50yds without any discomfort. what more can I ask for ? its 10 lbs. of overbuilt Serbian goodness !! gotta like it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 86250rrippin; September 15th, 2013 at 08:32 PM.
    CTD can SMD