Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default New G19 and questions

So I've been ogling these for a long time and my grandfather decided to get me one as a present. Needless to say I'm excited even though I don't get it until I move into my apartment. Anyway I have a couple of questions.

1.) What do you use for SD ammo?
    2.) What do you use for practice ammo?
    3.) What do you find to be the best holster for CC? OC?
    4.) Is there anything I should know?

I've been doing a ton of reading up on the G19 and glocks in general and the only two things I'm considering are a plug for the hole in the butt and a scherer 3.5# connector. I'll probably hold off on the connector until I'm proficient with the weapon, but is the plug a good idea?
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

(Berks County)

Default Re: New G19 and questions

I have a G19 and a G26...I use Winchester White Box for practice ammo, and Winchester Ranger for SD ammo. Holster wise, I have a Smart Carry and a CTAC Slide, and I've been very happy with both. I need to start looking for a good OWB holster though. The butt plug is really just a cosmetic item. My G26 has one (bought the gun used, it came with it), but my the G19 doesn't. Personally, I wouldn't spend the money for one. I have the stock connector in both guns also, and have been very happy with the trigger pull.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jon'76 View Post
    So I've been ogling these for a long time and my grandfather decided to get me one as a present. Needless to say I'm excited even though I don't get it until I move into my apartment. Anyway I have a couple of questions.

1.) What do you use for SD ammo?
    2.) What do you use for practice ammo?
    3.) What do you find to be the best holster for CC? OC?
    4.) Is there anything I should know?

I've been doing a ton of reading up on the G19 and glocks in general and the only two things I'm considering are a plug for the hole in the butt and a scherer 3.5# connector. I'll probably hold off on the connector until I'm proficient with the weapon, but is the plug a good idea?
    SD ammo. Use what local cops are using. I use Gold Dot

Practice ammo. I use Blazer aluminum cased if there is no time to pick up brass or Blazer Brass.

Holsters will be totally up to what feels comfortable to you.

I don't see the need for a plug. Some do.
    I do use a 3.5 connector but in conjunction with a NY1 trigger spring. This gives about a 6 lb trigger pull and a destinct trigger reset. Some say stock is the way to go.
    I would stay away from extended controls if the pistol is going to be for SD because the training classes I have taken have demonstrated how these devices can cause problems. Others think they are the cats ass for Glock.

Get rid of the plastic sights and get a good set of steel fixed sights. I like night sights.

my .02

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Philadelphia County)

The one he ordered for me comes with Glock Night Sights, which I've been informed are pretty decent so long as one secures the front sight with some super glue.

As far as the 3.5# connect and the NY1 trigger spring, my understanding is bare minimum, could someone please go more in depth. I understand the 3.5# makes the trigger pull lighter, and I think the NY1 causes the trigger to reset faster. I'm going to do some hands on testing when I get to the range, but I assume stock would be sufficient. I am a relatively inexperienced shooter, but my trigger discipline is tops due to my early childhood experience with firearms so ND's caused by the lighter connector are unlikely.

I read online that dirt and muck can get into the hole in the bottom of the glock and clog up the trigger assembly. Is this unfounded?

I'm going to watch the AGI - Glock Armorer Course and then check back on this thread.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

(Bucks County)

The one he ordered for me comes with Glock Night Sights, which I've been informed are pretty decent so long as one secures the front sight with some super glue.

As far as the 3.5# connect and the NY1 trigger spring, my understanding is bare minimum, could someone please go more in depth. I understand the 3.5# makes the trigger pull lighter, and I think the NY1 causes the trigger to reset faster. I'm going to do some hands on testing when I get to the range, but I assume stock would be sufficient. I am a relatively inexperienced shooter, but my trigger discipline is tops due to my early childhood experience with firearms so ND's caused by the lighter connector are unlikely.

I read online that dirt and muck can get into the hole in the bottom of the glock and clog up the trigger assembly. Is this unfounded?

I'm going to watch the AGI - Glock Armorer Course and then check back on this thread.
    i would put the plug in the bottom because it does keep dirt from getting in there -whether or not it clogs up the trigger, i don't know but i doubt it. also, you can keep your weed in there......... J/K!

keep the stock connector - i've used both and the difference isn't enough to justify changing it. also, i like the heavier on my carry gun (the other one was on my glock 34 tactical.)

personally, i would put the extended mag release on there - makes changing mags ten times easier and contrary to popular opinion doesn't get caught on everything.......

I've used both a fobus and a bianchi OWB and i like the bianchi far better because of the thumb break........i actually like it alot........

other than that, practice, practice, practice............
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

(Erie County)

Congrats on the new pistol. The G19 is a great all around carry pistol. There is a lot of decent ammo to choose from. Gold Dots and Rangers seem to be the most popular. I use Gold Dots because I can get them easy and have a bunch. Practice ammo is whatever I can get good deals on, it's not picky about what I feed it. Mostly WW or S&B ball. I haven't bothered with the plug with any of my Glocks in 17 years and never had any issues. I'd also try the stock trigger before switching it out. If you do end up changing, try staying with Glock parts. Holsters are a personal thing and you will likely end up with at least a small box of them. Don't skimp on a good belt, it makes a world of difference.

(Allegheny County)

I have a 19...the holster issue, as people have said, is a personal choice, but what I like best so far is the Glock brand tactical holster. I just bought a cheap leather belt, slide the holster through it and wear it on the small of my back, inside my pants with my pants belt over it. The only thing that sticks out is the grip, and if you position it right, you can essentially wear anything you want and it won't print. It pretty much locks the pistol in place, so it's not falling out, and no strap. It's only $14 on allglock.com, so I think it's worth it to at least play around with it.
    Pittsburgh, PA

I also am a huge metalhead. PM if you wanna talk music.

(Allegheny County)

Dirt and muck in a Glock? Never have I seen it happen so for me it's a non issue.

A stock connector is a 5lb connector. AFAIK these can be had in 3.5 lb and 8 lb as well. The NY1 trigger is approx an 8lb pull and the NY2 is about a 12 lb pull. I think there are other variables and combinations.

A few trainers I have had seem to think that the combination of the 3.5 disconnect and the NY1 give the best combination of near stock trigger pull at about 6 lb and most distinct reset.

It's any man's opinion on the merits of the stock versus the modified trigger assemblies.
    I have shot my pistols with the 3.5 only and perhaps because I'm not used to it being that light, I have had quite a few "surprise breaks".
    As a defensive weapon, many trainers teach that just the 3.5 is a bit too light when adrenelin is pumping and you are under stress.
    That was the reason the NY2 was developed( to come back into line with an approximate revolver trigger pull ).

I never researched the above info for being correct and it is just regurgitated for basic info. Others may give you exact detail.

I have personally witnessed the extended mag release cause problems doing one handed mag changes and racking the slide off a boot. This happened each and every time we did the drill. The owner put the extended part on the gun to shoot IPSC. He said he was removing it as soon as he got home.

Chances are you may never even attempt this type of drill so you do what you're comfortable with.

Qiute a few people trick out a Glock for various reasons. They wouldn't do it if they knew there is a downside to doing it. As someones sig line says "they don't know what they don't know".

My bottom line advice is this.
    Do what you are comfortable doing. Put stuff on your gun that you are sure won't be a deterrent or cause a malfunction. Shoot ammo that you think is the best SD on the market.

Get some professional training so someone who does this for a living can ascertain any problem areas you may have before you instill bad habits into your shooting style.

Good luck,

27hand

(Lycoming County)

A glock is a glock. They are what they are. Live with it. If you want a modifiable gun, get a 1911. Other than solid, steel sights, and some skater tape, there isn't much point in modding a glock. I have tried just about every trigger configuration you can think of on them. Glocks were never intended to have great triggers, therefore do not lend themselves to such. What they are, is a no fuss, no muss, pretty reliable, low-maintenence combat weapon. Don't ever expect more than that, and you will stay happy.

The best thing I ever did to a G-19 (asside from sights) was to put a Hand-All over grip on it and dremel the right side of the trigger guard, so it didn't beat an arthritic nodule on my middle finger. Other than that, it is what it is.

As far as ammo, in 9mm, there is some benefit to +P. When I carried a Glock, I carried Gold Dot +P 124gr HP. For plinkers, glocks aren't picky. Buy what's cheap.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun." -St. John of Liverpool

1911 Curmudgeon

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Average Baer View Post
    A glock is a glock. They are what they are. Live with it. If you want a modifiable gun, get a 1911. Other than solid, steel sights, and some skater tape

The best thing I ever did to a G-19 (asside from sights) was to put a Hand-All over grip on it and dremel the right side of the trigger guard, so it didn't beat an arthritic nodule on my middle finger. Other than that, it is what it is.
    At one time I had decal grips on the gun but after a slide rail broke and Glock replaced it, I never reinstalled them.
    Before the decal grips I used a rubber sleeve (I don't remember whose) but it used to travel with a lot of shooting.

I did forget to mention cutting the side of the trigger guard as Average Baer did. I used a box cutter.

I got a blister there after one of my first 700 round weekend classes. By rounding the edge, it was considerably more comfortable when shooting a lot.

27hand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast