Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default help finishing ar upper

So I am in the process of build an AR Pistol. It is my first build and the lower went together rather smoothly. The upper on the other hand is giving me some issues since I dont think I have all of the proper tools for the task. Is there anyone in the Poconos area that would be willing to lend a hand?

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: help finishing ar upper

What issues are you having? Tools needed sre very minimal

(Monroe County)

well i dont have the blocks to put it in a vice so i am not sure that im getting everything properly tight. i also need a couple roll pins since i dont think i got one for the gas block and bent the one for the forward assist. My main issue though is that the compensator doesnt line up properly when it gets tight. im not sure what to do there either!

(Lehigh County)

Need a vise block for the upper to get the barrel torque right. you need a crush washer to get the brake to line up.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa.Sniper View Post
    Need a vise block for the upper to get the barrel torque right. you need a crush washer to get the brake to line up.
    You can also use a barrel extension torque tool, which puts less stress on the aluminum upper receiver. I've come to prefer those.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod27452.aspx

You clamp the barrel nut wrench in a bench vise, then bear down with this tool and a 1/2" drive wrench, and torque the barrel down with minimum stress on the upper.

(Monroe County)

I have the crush washer, and there is no way is going to line up right. ..

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by xtcjpr13 View Post
    I have the crush washer, and there is no way is going to line up right. ..
    Crush washers do just that, they crush. You will need at least an adjustable wrench to finish tightening it after it's on hand tight. You can back it off and then tighten some more to crush it some more. If after that, it still won't index correctly, you can use peel washers.

As for tools, an upper vise block is a must at a minimum. Whether it's the DPMS Panther Claw, the Clam Shell type, or a barrel extension bar (Brownells or Geissele Reaction Rod), you can't safely and correctly do a build without it. Yeah I know people will say they used blocks of wood or rubber, no. Just no. Alot of stress occurs to an aluminum upper when indexing a barrel nut and muzzle device. It also helps when putting the FA roll pin in. Get proper punches and some roll pin holders. Some will say they won't need them, which may be true, but I bought them and haven't had a single issue.

If you don't plan to build anymore, borrow. If you plan to build 2 or more, buy them.

(Lehigh County)

I have all the tools you would need. If you want to take a drive to Allentown, bring the upper and we can have it done in 15 minutes.

(Monroe County)

Not sure if i will build another or not. if i decide to build another one later, i will buy everything else that i need, for now, sent you a pm PA.Sniper

(Lehigh County)

Please Note: The poster was issued an infraction for this post.

Alright, to finally straighten this all out, he is coming to my house tonight so we can see what he has and get it together correctly, so as nothing goes boom.

THIS IS A SEPARATE RANT THAT HAS BEEN ON MY MIND!
    To all you guys, and I have seen this over and over, just shoot your mouths off but never help anyone. Why? The last guy bought a sks thought he got ripped off and 4 pages of "what is wrong" but not one offer to fix it, except me. Then I got all kinds of shit when I found out what was wrong. Stuff like, he should have taken it to a real gunsmith, I could have fixed it in one sitting etc... You guys who shoot shit out of your mouth, but never offer to help anyone really pisses me off. People like Fragger, big fucking mouth, but never any help. DO you guys really build anything? Or just read other crap on the net and recite it back here?
    So far i have built numerous fal's for people on this forum, changed sights, offered to show someone reloading at my cost so he can learn. Changed glock sights and fixed numerous fuck ups that other members made. The people like Fragger jump in, after the fact, you should have done this, I would have done it this way. Well, keep your fucking stupid comments to yourself and actually get off your ass and offer to help someone, just once. The sks I did was for Chrisconte, all i asked is when he finally gets it straightened out, let me know, to this date, nothing, not even a thank you. Ungrateful bastards.
    Just had to get this off my chest, I see it all the time, 4 pages of what would they do with no offer to help.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast