Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Thoughts on Rem 7600 range?

I have heard guys say that they cant get good longer distance accuracy out of the Remington 7600. I have one in 308 and was thinking about taking it to Idaho next year to hunt bear, wolf and mulies.

Im going to try shooting at distance (id like to be able to get a baseball sized group at 300 yards) but i was just curious to see everyone elses experiences with this gun at distance

Default Re: Thoughts on Rem 7600 range?

Quote Originally Posted by scottprice View Post
    I have heard guys say that they cant get good longer distance accuracy out of the Remington 7600. I have one in 308 and was thinking about taking it to Idaho next year to hunt bear, wolf and mulies.

Im going to try shooting at distance (id like to be able to get a baseball sized group at 300 yards) but i was just curious to see everyone elses experiences with this gun at distance
    I have a little experience with the Remington 760 (older model). I'm not exactly sure of all the changes that they made between the 7600 and the 760. My buddy took one on a hunting trip, and I helped him sight one in. I was actually surprised with how accurate the rifle was, it surpassed my expectations. I was expecting something around a 2 moa rifle, and with the groups that we shot, it was much more around a 1 - 1 1/2 MOA rifle with the ammunition he had. Honestly, I'm guessing that's probably close to the accuracy limitations of the rifle. It was not uncommon for us to fire 2 rounds that were touching, and then have a third round that was a bit of a flier maybe 3/4" away from the other 2. I was only helping him sight in the rifle at 100 yards, and never shoot it any further than that. With the right load and a shooter very familiar with the trigger, sub moa groups might be possible, but I'm not sure the rifle can do it day in day out for 5 rounds, which is how I typically measure accuracy.

I don't really consider 300 yards "at distance", although it's getting to be extended ranges for most shots people take while hunting. From the little experience I do have with the rifle, I think that your expectations are probably a bit too high. A baseball's diameter is roughly 2.87", so just under 3". That means that the rifle and shoot would have to be capable of sub moa accuracy CONSISTENTLY. At 300 yards, the wind is starting to play a little with the bullet, depending on the bullet weight you're shooting, wind angle, and speed. It's not unmanageable at that distance, but when you're already on the rifle's accuracy limitations, it's probably going to put you outside of where you want to be. That's just my own small opinion formed after very limited exposure to the older model of the rifle you're talking about. Maybe some others with more experience can chime in, and the rifle is more accurate than what I experienced. I hope this helps anyway.

(Franklin County)

I have a Remington 760 in 6mm Rem. Not a 1:1 comparison due to caliber difference (I believe the changes between the Mdl 760 and 7600 are mostly cosmetic). I get 1 to 1.25 MOA at 100 yds, opening to about 3" at 200 yards.

Recognizing the caliber differences, I agree that 3" at 300 would probably be optimistic. The short barreled pump action probably isn't going to give you the accuracy you're looking for (IMO). Of course, the best solution is to shoot it at 300, see what you can get.

(York County)

Nothing to add but some information, the differences between the 760and the 7600 are in the bolt head (locking lugs) and barrel extension.

The 760 bolt head has multiple interlocking lugs (kinda like a interupted thread) and the 7600 has only three solid lugs.

Less machine time in building the rifle, more profit for big green.
    Wouldn't you like to know what's in my safe.

(Somerset County)

No way to tell what your rifle will do until you shoot it. Don't forget to try different ammo, it may make a difference.

For the game listed, a softball size group will kill just as well, I think you've got your requirements set pretty high.

Dale

(York County)

I use to get 1.1" groups for 5 shots at 200yds with my 6mm handloads. There's accuracy in those 760/7600 if you do your part. When shooting off the bench, make sure the foregrip and NOT the barrel is supported. Accuracy will suffer otherwise. They are essential free floating barrels and resting on the barrel put pressure on it and change the harmonics.

(Susquehanna County)

My 30-06 7600 shoots at worst case 1 MOA with my reloads.
    Stay armed my friends.