Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cambria County)

Default What options do I have... Front Sight on AK

I have a MAK 90 AK. The front sight is a total circle, unlike most other sights that are only half way up around the front post.

Using iron sights, this really isn't to big of an issue, but I do find it blocks my field of view just a bit. But when I dropped a red dot onto the Ultimax railing, I found that the total circle blocked a lot of my field of view while looking thru the sight. And stood out and became down right annoying.

I was considering cutting the top half of the circle off my front sight. What are your thoughts on doing this?

Do I have any other options?
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(York County)

Default Re: What options do I have... Front Sight on AK

the chinese sight is designed that way for a reason. it is a softer steel than the forgings on a euro AK sight. if you cut it it will deform under slight pressure.

solution? throw your junk aimpoint out the window and use the rifle the way kalashnikov intended for it to be used. learn to shoot.

(Berks County)

There will never be any more MAK 90's so even if there was not a strength issue (which I'll just assume to be true) I personally wouldn't alter it. But I generally don't like to make mods that can't be 'undone.' Many others may disagree.

This would definitely change your cheek weld, but how about a picatinny riser just to get above the sight hood? They come in a couple different heights.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    This would definitely change your cheek weld, but how about a picatinny riser just to get above the sight hood? They come in a couple different heights.
    I really wanted to be able to co-witness the iron sights thru the red dot.

I know what you mean though about altering it. It is one reason I was wondering if I had any other decent options.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    solution? throw your junk aimpoint out the window and use the rifle the way kalashnikov intended for it to be used. learn to shoot.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. I can shoot. And shoot it well. But I also know that I there are situations where having a red dot on it would benefit me. And I would like to take advantage of one for those times.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    the chinese sight is designed that way for a reason. it is a softer steel than the forgings on a euro AK sight. if you cut it it will deform under slight pressure.

Junk Aimpoint?

I don't know if that was tongue-in-cheek but some people have vision issues that makes it difficult for them to use iron sights, particularly those found on AK's. And anyone much above the age of 40 begins to suffer from the effects of presbyopia.

Khalashnikov developed the AK47 with 1940's technology. I'd give the guy some credit and consider that if he'd developed the AK platform in the 21st century, he would have built it "optic ready" with iron sights only intended as back up.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    There will never be any more MAK 90's so even if there was not a strength issue (which I'll just assume to be true) I personally wouldn't alter it. But I generally don't like to make mods that can't be 'undone.' Many others may disagree.
    Agree.

All depends on what the end user can live with.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Do I have any other options?
    I'd contact some of the more well known AK builders and ask them. There are several with excellent reputations for build quality.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    I really wanted to be able to co-witness the iron sights thru the red dot.

I know what you mean though about altering it. It is one reason I was wondering if I had any other decent options.
    If you want to co-witness, I don't see any solution. If the front sight is in the red dot field of view, it's in the red dot field of view. Which is why I understand you were considering altering it.

Personally, the only advantage I see with co-witnessing is an unchanged shooting position from iron to optic 'if the optic fails' such as battery failure. But if the optical glass is broken, perhaps unlikely, you're out of luck without removing the red dot. I've set something up that most won't like, and it may not even work at all. Bought a cheap set of 45 degree rail mounted AR type BUIS that theoretically can be used by canting the rifle to the left. Haven't tried it yet.

I may also try a 'see-through' riser for a red dot. There will be different cheek welds because of the height difference, but both the red dot and iron sights will be available. Even if the red dot gets destroyed.

Both options are still in their infancy.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Junk Aimpoint?

I don't know if that was tongue-in-cheek but some people have vision issues that makes it difficult for them to use iron sights, particularly those found on AK's. And anyone much above the age of 40 begins to suffer from the effects of presbyopia.

Khalashnikov developed the AK47 with 1940's technology. I'd give the guy some credit and consider that if he'd developed the AK platform in the 21st century, he would have built it "optic ready" with iron sights only intended as back up.
    Both are valid points. I have been experiencing the early stages of presbyopia within the last year