Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: .380 pistols

(York County)

Default .380 pistols

Walther PPK or Bersa Thunder? ... any thoughts?

Default Re: .380 pistols

Both are good. $$$ is always my first thought. Which ever one has the least amount of $ is my choice.

My wife's first carry piece was a Thunder .380. It was an excellent handgun, once I hand racked a few hundred times. The first 50 rounds? Only about half shot without a hitch. I went and sat in my car with the AC and the radio on and hand racked it just over 300 times and checked to be sure the mag follower was coming all the way to the top of the tube, then gave it a little bit of lube. We were 10 for 10 after that. She ended up trading it on a 9mm, two years later, and we only lost $40 in the deal.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Northampton County)

CZ83

"Double your pleasure
    Double your fun
    It's the right one
    The Doublestack gun
    Double your pleasure
    Double your fun
    It's the right one"

13+1 FTW

(Tioga County)

I like my Ruger LCP. Over 600 rounds through it.
    MikeP

(Monroe County)

Ever since I was a kid, I've been a PPK fan, Good enough for James Bond ....

But my wife gave me a TCP 738 so that's what I use. Gotta keep the wife happy.

I'd suggest at least looking at one.
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by priell3 View Post
    I like my Ruger LCP. Over 600 rounds through it.
    Dito, I'll never get rid of my lcp. Have over 1000 rounds through it. It eats anything including self defense rounds which can be tricky on some 380's. I don't suggest defense rounds though for 380's. I think they're worthless unless you get up to about a 40cal. Make no mistake many people underestimate 380's but I would stick with fmj for penetration. Very deadly rounds.

(Dauphin County)

Sorry got off the topic. If it's between the two definitely Walther PPk. Just my opinion though

(Montgomery County)

If you can find a Walther PP in 0.380 go for it. The PPK is too lightweight in my opinion for a 0.380. the PPK/S is the combination of the PP frame and the PPK slide in order to make the points necessary for import. These are stainless steel and imported for many years by Interarms. If you do go for the Walther, look for a German made gun, not the SW versions.

On the other hand, A Beretta 70S or the 90 series (if you can find either) or the Beretta 80 series, including the Browning DA (an Italian in Belgian clothing) are all worth looking at. Yes, all are S/H but the quality is there. I have a good selection of the above and all are S/H. All go bang and put holes where pointed. Bear in mind that the Walthers may not like HP ammo, so you need to check. Dave_n

(Allegheny County)

Walthers are great guns. The only .380 I have is a walther pk380, I don't like small guns and the pk fits great in my hand. The trigger is not great but in 3yrs it has never FTF or fte with any ammo I put through it. I also do not like the safety block on it but otherwise great gun and looks awesome.

(Dauphin County)

Bersa is supposedly a Walther clone but well regarded by those I know who have fired it. Better price than Walthers. Walther PP in 380 is pretty rare and costly. PPK/S with the longer grip than PPK is a bit more controllable in 380 and the stainless models, all US made, are affordable (be careful that the S&W versions have been through the safety recall program). PPK has a price premium because of the Bond reference I guess, and honestly I don't like it in 380, it's way too snappy.

I own PPs, PPKs, and PPK/Ss in .32 and .380. The guns were designed for .32 and perform best on that caliber. If I wanted a 380 Walther I'd find a PP (because I collect them) but would carry a PPK/S. the PK380 is larger, and care needs to be taken to ensure the one you buy is dependable. Many owners swear by them, others at them.

If I can't CC my Walther PPS 9mm I carry a .32 PPK loaded with FMJ and Buffalo Bore hardcast.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast