Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default 300 Win Mag Resizing Issue

So, a friend of mine recently picked up a Savage 110 BA in 300 Win Mag. Being the nice guy that I am, I offer to reload some ammo for him. I have a Dillon RL 550 and have been reloading rifle cartridges for years. However, this is my first belted magnum. We’re using new Redding dies and I went to setup the FL resizing die. I cleaned the die first and I’m using once fired military brass. They are basically uncrimped Federal brass in great condition. The brass is clean, shiny and lubed with Dillon case lube. When sizing the first piece, I’m able to fully resize the case without a lot of effort, but when trying to extract the case, it pulls through the shell plate. Now the case is stuck. I was able to back the decapping rod assembly out by getting the expander to unscrew but this leaves the expander in the case. I was forced to use a metal dowel to hammer the case out of the die, which destroys the expander now left in the case. The force used to eventually eject the case is ridiculous. I can’t imagine a stuck case tool would have been able to get the case out. So, I clean everything up, ensure adequate lube and try again with a new case, going slow. Not thinking, I put another decapping assembly and the same thing happens. I should have left it out. Now the case is stuck again. I’m either doing some obviously wrong in trying to FL resize the case, or the die is entirely too tight. I’m reluctant to remove the case in the same fashion because I don’t seem to be able to find the expanders available anywhere and replacement decapping assemblies appear to be out of stock and not available for months. I will call Redding, but should I be able to resize the full length down to the belt? The die is cut to accommodate the belt so I’m thinking I should but admittedly, I have no experience with reloading this round. Any words of wisdom??? Thanks in advance.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: 300 Win Mag Resizing Issue

If the dies are correct for the caliber sizing the cases should not be that difficult. If everything is correct try Imperial Sizing Wax sparingly on the cases. Apply a small amount to the inside of the case mouth too. That should do the trick.

Good luck, Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

I second the sizing wax. Also when you said its being pulled through the shell plate do you mean its ripping the case rim off?

(York County)

i would try backing off the sizing die a 1/4 turn and try again, i'm wondering if the military brass is thicker, like it is with 7.62 vs. .308 and 5.56 vs. .223
    I want your vz.33

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings101 View Post
    I second the sizing wax. Also when you said its being pulled through the shell plate do you mean its ripping the case rim off?
    Yes, it actually pulled the rim off. I've not seen anything like it. Spoke to Redding. They are going to replace the parts but also recommended the wax. Sending a sample along. If it occurs again with the wax, they said they'll replace the die. Could be out of tollerance.

I had the same thing with some underlubed 308s. Any new to me 308 brass that i knew was wacked out of spec i would use the wax and everything else was either neck sized or spray lubed. Or as reddig said, the die may be out of spec. Also check to make sure the die isnt grabbing the belt of the case.

If the dies are correct for the caliber sizing the cases should not be that difficult. If everything is correct try Imperial Sizing Wax sparingly on the cases. Apply a small amount to the inside of the case mouth too. That should do the trick.

Good luck, Jeff

I have to agree with Jeff . Lube inside of case mouth.

(Montgomery County)

Imperial did the trick. I guess the Dillon case lube has gone bad. After applying it and letting sit, the case really did not feel that slippery. However, I could not beleive how hard it was to extract the case. I busted the bolt on a stuck case extraction tool.

Imperial is good stuff. Glad you figured it out.

The Dillon lube is probably mainly for pistol brass or .223. Hornady one shot is the same way.

Myself I use the Lee case lube which works well. You can mix it with isopropyl alcohol and spray it on, roll it on or just smear some on with your finger..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast