Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Question Concealed carry insurance...?

Been hearing a few commercials on satellite radio about this type of service. They claim to offer legal assistance when an event arises, expert advice, and other items along those lines. Has anybody heard of looked into this? IIRC, one of the companies was Carry123 and I think another was CCWsafe; they've been advertising on the news stations, particularly Fox 114. Sounds too good to be true to me. Scam maybe? Thoughts?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Concealed carry insurance...?

As with any type of product or service, a scam may be lurking..but I think with how many gun owners exist and how few incidents actually occur, it'd be profitable for a company to provide such a service.

Think of all the healthy people who pay for insurance or all the drivers who've never crashed a car. The large majority of insured people more than make up for the small minority who end up utilizing the service.

(Montgomery County)

True enough. Now that I think about it, they started popping up right after the Zimmerman trial. So, follow-up question; assuming these are legit, would anyone go for this if reasonably priced?

(York County)

The popular one on XM radio is CCWsafe. I'd be interested to see if someone has this sort of service.

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

No, because the fuctarded Brady bunch wants Concealed carriers and all gun owners to have 1 million in insurance MANDATORY coverage for the privilege of protecting yourself from one of Obama's sons. I can see this ballooning into mandatory insurance like driving, and every time you have to defend yourself the ambulance chasers and familys will ooze out of the gutters with their hand out for quick and easy cash settlements. Then watch the thugs lining up to get shot and wounded just to sue your insurance company. No one would be able to afford the mandatory insurance and our RIGHT has now been quietly and expensively put beyond the reach of the people whom need it the most, the poor law abiding citizens in high crime neighborhoods.
    Last edited by bigandy1966; September 5th, 2013 at 08:59 PM.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Monroe County)

No. I have car insurance because some brainless twit may have a lapse in judgement and be driving distracted but I will NOT get insurance to cover me in the event that some criminal deliberately and willingly tries to do harm to me or my loved ones.

There are at least 2 possible kinds of insurance that might apply here.

One is liability insurance. The company would indemnify you for any civil liability resulting from you shooting someone. You could be held civilly liable even in the absence of a criminal conviction (as OJ Simpson found).

The downsides include the possibility that the company excludes too many situations; it's a scam; or the fact that you have deep pockets actually ATTRACTS lawsuits, and a dirtbag who would not be able to find a lawyer willing to take a case and get your used car and music collection, would be able to get a lawyer to go after your insurance limits.

The second is to cover the cost of your criminal defense. Some of these only kick in AFTER an acquittal, long after you've had to put up bail, long after you've sold all your stuff and borrowed from your parents to hire a lawyer. This kind of insurance is only good for reimbursing you, it doesn't allow you to put up the defense you need from the beginning. And if you're convicted (or take a pea deal because you can't afford to hire a lawyer), then they pay nothing.

If you want coverage, really dig into the policy coverages and exclusions, and work out how it would work in the real world. Some of these might be worthwhile, others clearly are not.

Google them, see how long each company has been in business, see what others have said about how it worked when they needed it.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Also you may want to talk to your agent about an umbrella policy. These are usually very inexpensive and give yo additional liability coverage for all sorts of things.

Bernie P

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieP View Post
    Also you may want to talk to your agent about an umbrella policy. These are usually very inexpensive and give yo additional liability coverage for all sorts of things.

Bernie P

They give you additional coverage over things you already have covered.

Been reading post and have seen ads. This may be slightly off topic, in the case I am involved in a shooting, who do I call? I have read people saying "call your lawyer", well, I don't have a lawyer. I do not plan to get one and pay a retainer.
    Any suggestions on how to find a PA lawyer who specializes?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast