Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Went to the gun show at the york Fairgrounds and look what followed me home

Finally got the 1911.

3%

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Went to the gun show at the york Fairgrounds and look what followed me home

A very similar 1911 followed me home from the Valley Forge Gun Show a couple months ago. I do like the grip panels on yours though. So far I really like mine a lot. I put 350 rounds through it without a single issue so that I was confident in it enough to carry it. It has been my primary carry handgun for 6 weeks or so. I have never carried a 1911 before but I like it a lot.

God luck with the new 1911.

(York County)

Default Re: Went to the gun show at the york Fairgrounds and look what followed me home

Since you carry one all the time maybe you or I guess any one else can answer me this. How do you carry it? I mean I noticed that you can't rack the slide and then put the hammer down and have it function with a doulble action like say a Beretta or most other semi-autos I'm used to. I guess you just have to draw then pull back and release the slide to make it ready for a self defense type situation? or am I missing something?
    3%

(Franklin County)

The 1911 is best carried cocked and locked, in other words a round in the chamber, hammer cocked and the thumb safety engaged.

You can chamber a round and lower the hammer, requiring you to cock it when needed. This is not a recommended method due to the obvious problem which can occur if the hammer gets away from you while you are lowering it.

You also can carry empty chamber, planning to rack the slide when needed. I would not recommend that carry method as you could find yourself needing to draw while having a weak arm either incapacitated or otherwise occupied fending off an attack.

Condition 1, cocked and locked, is the way to go. If you are not too familiar with the 1911, I would suggest a fair amount of practice with it before putting it into daily use.

(York County)

Thanks 1911. I was thinking that condition 1 would be the best bet, but I did not realize that you could keep one chambered and then just cock it back and fire but then again, I've never owned a 1911 til a few hours ago. I need some time on the range. So what about the half cock thing, unless I'm reading it wrong, If I attempt to cock the hammer with a round chambered and the hammer falls before I want it to, the safety will engage correct? So that would serve to help eliminate the AD/ND's right?

Dave
    3%

(Franklin County)

If you are trying to cock the hammer and it slips, the safety notch 'might' catch it. If it fails though, it's going off.

I find that trying to cock a 1911, especially with a beavertail and hammer such as yours, is really difficult without radically changing your grip. Since you really want a proper grip before you draw, trying to cock after the draw is counterproductive.

(York County)

Jeff Cooper defined the conditions of readiness, here it is:

http://www.sightm1911.com/Care/1911_conditions.htm

The legendary guru of the combat 1911, Jeff Cooper, came up with the "Condition" system to define the state of readiness of the 1911-pattern pistol. The are:

Condition 0 - A round is in the chamber, hammer is cocked, and the safety is off.

Condition 1 - Also known as "cocked and locked," means a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the manual thumb safety on the side of the frame is applied.

Condition 2 - A round is in the chamber and the hammer is down.

Condition 3 - The chamber is empty and hammer is down with a charged magazine in the gun.

Condition 4 - The chamber is empty, hammer is down and no magazine is in the gun.

The mode of readiness preferred by the experts is Condition One. Generally speaking, Condition One offers the best balance of readiness and safety. Its biggest drawback is that it looks scary to people who don't understand the operation and safety features of the pistol.
    Last edited by padowser; May 4th, 2008 at 11:43 PM.
    Archie Gates: No unnecessary shots, Conrad, 'cause we know what they do.
    Conrad Vig: Make infected pockets full of bile, sir.
    Archie Gates: That's right, Conrad, that's what they do.

(Washington County)

She is pretty. Picked out a holster yet?

(Dauphin County)

sweet

condition 1

(York County)

No holster yet. I want to take it to the range 1st and get a good idea how it all works and operates. As I've never owned one, come to think of it I never fired one either. I don't fell as though it wold be prudent to carry it til I'm more comfy with it. If I don't have a holster yet then I won't be tempted to carry it. Thanks for all the info so far guys. I'm gonna move some Q's to the pistol forum from here though.

Dave
    3%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast