Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Here's what happened while I was at work...

I work shift work as a Fire Captain. I was on a 48 hour shift. This past Sunday night my children (18 and 22) were hanging out back of my house under my deck with their friends at midnight while my wife was in bed asleep.
    My yellow lab starts barking at somebody out front. My son said that he noticed immediately that the bark sounded different than ussual. The dog then ran around back and barked at my son and ran back around front. My son (22) goes around front to find our dog standing on the sidewalk pointing at the front of the house, tail stright out and growling. There stands a man in my flower bed right against my bay window with blood all over his face and seemed to be messed up on drugs. The man demanded that he needs a ride somewhere. My son tried to tell him that he couldn't give him a ride and the man sort of lunged over at him and got in his face and demanded that he gets a ride. At this point my sons friend went into the house and came out with my sons handgun. (Son has his LTCF) The guy couldn't tell them where he was or how he got there.
    I was not a happy camper that I just heard about this Tuesday evening.
    Here is where the story gets worse. My son ended up giving the guy a ride to where he wanted to go a few miles away. Nothing happened and that was it.
    Now my son swears he was the last one through the front door that night and he closed the door behind him. The door was found opened about 5 or 6 inches.
    I spent all of Tuesday evening lecturing the entire family about "this is how people end up dead" and "what if you took that guy to somebody else and he harmed them that night" and "call the police".
    I also spent the rest of the evening rewarding my dog and trying to train him to (1)bark, (2) dial 911 since nobody else know how to do it.
    I don't know if the guy noticed the kids out back and thought maybe he was going to sneak through the front door to grab a few things for cash or not but whatever he was up to my dog foiled his actions.
    My son now realizes what he did wrong and understand how to react in the future. I am just glad nothing bad happened.

(York County)

Default Re: Here's what happened while I was at work...

Wow. First and foremost, glad everyone's okay.

There's an entire truckload of fail there.....
    Underwater, the ONLY way to fly...

(Washington County)

Wow! Crazy story.
    Kudos to the dog for sure, mans best friend.

What was your son thinking? Glad he realized his faults.
    Was he armed in the vehicle?
    Also where was his handgun in the house? I'm thinking not secured.
    Last edited by M&P Chris; September 5th, 2013 at 07:39 AM.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

Thankfully everyone is ok, hopefully a good lesson was learned!

(Northampton County)

Glad everyone is ok. Give your dog a biscuit for me, for a job well done.
    National Handgun Reciprocity
    End Gun Free Zones
    Fast & Furious show us the documents

(Chester County)

Dogs are great.

Kids...........Meh.

(York County)

Hopefully junior can use this as an opportunity to understand that the concept of "hold down the fort" is:

1) not just a cute saying
    2) not just Dad's responsibility

For the pooch, a natural pack animal, this is basic instinct. For junior, some education on situational awareness and defensive strategies for the house and property may be called for. And that needs to come from the adults, who may also want to take this opportunity to reevaluate their coverage of these topics.

As others have said, this ended very well, and I'm glad all are safe. Steak and a good bone for the pooch!
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Northampton County)

Good doggie.

Glad everybody is OK.

I gotta be honest with you, it doesn't sound to me like you are getting the whole story. I find it hard to believe your son gave a ride to a bloody, violent individual he did not know. And then kept it from you for three days. Hope I am wrong and this is over.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Hunter View Post
    My yellow lab starts barking at somebody out front. My son said that he noticed immediately that the bark sounded different than ussual.... The door was found opened about 5 or 6 inches.
    I spent all of Tuesday evening lecturing the entire family...
    This is the number one reason why I always have a dog in my home. Their primary responsibility is to bark & very rarely do I ever tell the dog to quit barking. I also always reward her (dog) when she barks at something suspicious. She wont be much help if someone would make their way into my home uninvited, but as long as she gives me a warning I'll be happy.

As for the wife...yeah, she lets the doors open half the time if she heads to bed after me. I swear she doesn't know what a lock is for & no level of reasoning has had her change her ways. This morning I walked out in the kitchen to find the side door ajar. I guess I need to get up every night and do a walk through the house to ensure doors are locked and lights are out...I feel your pain.

(Lehigh County)

Create an account for the dog so I can rep him.
    Glad no harm came to your family, but the boys can learn something from the dog. If you need to get a handgun, you need to dial 911. And to give him a ride was just insane, who knows what could have happened in that car.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast