Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Default THE PRICE WAS RIGHT ! (gun pics & turkey)

Normally I am skulking around the Hunting forum. There is a thread about dove hunting and it kinda' morphed into shotguns. Fox , Parker and Stevens.
    So I trekked over to Gun pictures and my purchase(s) of Mossberg.

At a Woolworth's, late 1980's early 90s (Bucks County) I was going to buy some shotgun shells and WHOA ! ! ! Look at this--A closeout. I believe Woolworth's was getting out of selling firearms.

Semi-auto Mossberg 5500 MK II, in either 12 or 20 gauge, $49.95. This was a non-magnum 2 3/4" only shooter. Yes the wood is probably orange crate quality, raised rib, top tang safety, recoil pad, screw in chokes, but for $50 how can you go wrong. If it works, that was all that counted.

I asked the sales person "how many in stock". He had 6, I bought all of them. I kept 3 for my family and gave my Huntin' buddies one for Christmas. I took pics of the 12 gauge.

Two questions---Is this shotgun still made and would you do, basically what I did. I never knew the retail on these Mossbergs.

Fossil-----Ps: The last Spring Gobblers I shot was with this 12 gauge.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ImAfossil; September 8th, 2014 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Fix and add
    Do the eyes go first ?????? MAYBE NOT !

Default Re: THE PRICE WAS RIGHT ! (pics)

The short answer is "HECK YES!!" without even blinking. $50 for a semi automatic shotgun that comes from someone that is known for making firearms that work and don't explode. It looks like a heck of a steal for a $50 shotgun. I would have also bought all 6, and I think it's nice of you to give some to hunting buddies. Even if they need a little break in or tweaking, you can't beat that. If you want to sell one, I'll give you double what you paid, LOL.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: THE PRICE WAS RIGHT ! (pics)

Doing a little homework on the Mossbergs. Apparently they stopped manufacturing them in 1993. The only complaint was with the 3 inchers, there was a problem in ejection. I still do not have the foggiest idea what the retail price was.

What I am seeing in the used 5500 mkII, price varies between $200 and $400 (condition ! ! !)----It came with 3 chokes, Imp Cyl, Mod and Full. I bought the extra chokes, Cylinder and XFull. I use the XFull with HIGH BRASS (is that a saying of the past) for Spring Gobblers and have never had one get away, shooting that Mossberg.

My last time hunting Gobblers I even made the Sullivan County Review (pic). That Gobbler was my biggest and the best calling job in my life. Never once did I think I was under powered with the 2 3/4 inch Mossberg. Just a bit more patient. When to shoot ! ! ! ! ! The write up in the Sully was really nice and accurate. A surprise by my local friends, in the Endless Mountains, of close to 50 years. Yes those $49.95 gems really work.

fossil
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ImAfossil; September 8th, 2014 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Retail
    Do the eyes go first ?????? MAYBE NOT !

Default Re: THE PRICE WAS RIGHT ! (gun pics & turkey)

Holy shit that's a good deal