Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Butler County)

Default i got a Galco for my 1911

finally got a good holster for my 1911 which i have never carried before. usually i carry either a sr40c or a shield. i get home and im reading the paperwork with the holster and it is saying since it has a thumb break then the 1911 should be carried chamber empty and hammer down. i like having the retention of a thumb break but i also want to carry it cocked and locked. anyone carry with this type of holster cocked and locked or should i take it back and get one without a thumb break? thanks

(York County)

Default Re: i got a Galco for my 1911

Desantis Cocked and Locked, FTW...

http://www.desantisholster.com/store...Break-Scabbard

I've been using this for about 2 years now.

While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Butler County)

this is the model that i have and i paid $50 new. http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.as...2100&GunID=257

the picture on the site shows a much wider back strap than mine has. mine actually looks closer to yours but its not cut out around the safety on the right side but it doesnt matter on mine because the thumb safety is only on the left side and the left side of the thumb break is raised due to the button snap. i dont see a problem with me using this holster cocked and locked.

(Bucks County)

1911's are made to be carried 'cocked and locked'. Every holster made will accommodate a 1911 in that mode. Some manufacturers have turned 'pussy' and are showing their fear of lawyers by 'advising ' you to carry uncocked. If they advised you to carry 'cocked and locked' and you get into a "trayvon needed killing" type situation, well, some slimy shitbag may sue them for being complicit in that you 'might not have killed the poor little boy with the iced tea and skittles if the gun hadn't been READY FOR WAR'. So, they take the easy way out.

YES, your holster will hold your weapon in either condition. Either condition will possibly make you able to save your own life someday. Of course, one of those conditions just may get you killed for being too slow, or clumsy under stress. You decide.

(Lancaster County)

I have the galco owb and it works cocked n locked just takes a few days for the thumb brak strap to break into wrapping around it that way. never had an issue otherwise with it.
    I have had surprisingly few homeless people hire me. - GunLawyer001

(Delaware County)

I have the Galco Miami Classic II for my 1911. The same statement was included with mine. My first thought was 'Why don't they mention this in the description on their web site?' Then I tried it out - condition 1 like it was *made* for it. As was mentioned in an earlier post, they are just trying to avoid litigation.

An example from another industry: A former in-law of mine worked for a major U.S. helmet manufacturer. They produced (still do) some of the finest, most stringently tested and certified helmets on the planet. They put out $4,000,000 annualy in legal retainers. The final straw was when a motorcyclist was involved in an accident. He was wearing some other company's helmet, and suffered no head injury, but he decided to sue everyone from the other driver to the United Nations (exaggerating... slightly) for pain and suffering. He chose this helmet company for the suit because they were known to have lots of money. They calculated that paying the claim would be less expensive than fighting it. Shortly thereafter they made one very small change to their motorcycle helmets: they removed the D.O.T. sticker. The helmets still passed all of the testing to high standards, but without the D.O.T. certification they were no longer intended for street use. "Oh, you were wearing one of our brand new helmets when you were involved in a traffic accident? Sorry, that is not an approved use for our products. Next case please."

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpyingling22 View Post
    this is the model that i have and i paid $50 new. http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.as...2100&GunID=257

the picture on the site shows a much wider back strap than mine has. mine actually looks closer to yours but its not cut out around the safety on the right side but it doesnt matter on mine because the thumb safety is only on the left side and the left side of the thumb break is raised due to the button snap. i dont see a problem with me using this holster cocked and locked.

The Galco FLETCH, which is one of my favorite "go to" holsters, is better for 1911 Condition 1 carry. The thumb break is shaped different than the COP. I don't recall reading anything about carry methods though, but I didn't read the directions. The only downside is they run about $75(it's worth it but with some nicer options at the $100 mark it sometimes makes me indecisive on which way to go, depends on how much I like the gun)

Of course nothing compares to the $150+ custom leather holsters but that's a different thread for a different time....

(Butler County)

i worked near wheeling today and open carried with the 1911 and galco. it felt better than carrying my sr40c. stopped by cabelas and a wheeling LEO walked in behind me but no one said a word while i was there. i was by myself looking at the pistol ammo and they had 380/9/40/45 and whatever else you could want in stock except for 22lr. as im standing there here comes a cabelas employee with a brick of remington 22lr and puts them on the shelf and walks away. so i look around thinking what is up with this and decide its my lucky day and get the brick. that employee sees me walking away and says some guy grabbed the last 2 but was told at the register that he could only get 1 so thats when the employee brought it back. my lucky day. i also stopped by Ace sporting goods in washington and bought a earth shaker tannerite tub to try out.

(Northampton County)

Good choice. IMO Galco is as good as it gets for mass produced holsters.

(Delaware County)

I too have the Galco Fletch,,,,,, been using it for two years now. Love it. Yep, locked & loaded.

I don't remember reading any "user instructions" for any holster and can't figure out who would actually read them for a HOLSTER. I must be getting old,,,,, sowwy for that comment......
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.