Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default Re: Wild hog hunting in PA?

Tomcat, I will do that and thanks! We went hunting yesterday and hat two on the move then the snow melted and we couldnt track them, maybe with a dog or ten watchers and ten drivers? Pap grove

(Westmoreland County)

Kill'em all. From what I have read, they breed like roaches and are terrible for the deer population. I guess tha adults kill fawns and also compete for browse.

On the private property issue, the game commission can go anywhere they want. They do not need a warrant. If they think you are hunting, they can come on your land and in your home, without a warrant.

You can hunt wild hogs with any firearm you want. The game commission wants us to kill all of them.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

(Allegheny County)

So, I'm guessing you can hunt these pigs on Sunday?
    I'm am pretty excited to here there are some here in PA. I've been wanting to hunt pigs for a while but not in a reserve or have to travel to SC, TN, GA, FL, or TX.

(Westmoreland County)

Any day of the week, any hour of the day. With any weapon you like. No game commission rules apply.

(Blair County)

Not entirely true, you cannot hunt them on state forest land without following Pa. hunting and firearm rules, and that is where they are in Pa.

(Westmoreland County)

I have not seen any regs on state lands. Doing a search for "hogs" on the game commmission website yields about a dozen articles (one link below) that all seem to say "Kill'em all"

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...a=458&q=170957

It appears that the PGC recommends following regs but has indicated that they have no jurisdiction over the animals.

Perhaps the game lands is a gray area, or I just failed to find the reg stating that regs must be followed on game lands.

I would follow the hunting regs just to be on the safe side. PGC is no fun to tangle with.

(Blair County)

I called the Huntington office of the state game commission early ladt week and ask if I could record the conversation, because not all game officers interpertate everything the same and they refused. They said I could not use a semi-auto rifle and could not use a spot light while carrying a rifle on Buchanian state forest for pigs and the way they said it I think they meant anywhere. I specifically wanted to know so I didnt lose a rifle,four wheeler, or my truck. I to would like to see something in writing. It seems they only want them eliminated on their terms. Even hunting racoons need special regs by our game commission. Papgrove

there is/was a group of folks who were tryin to persuade the game com and others to stop the pig killin all together as a free for all event ......... seems those folks had the pigs on their ground for awhile and wanted to charge folks for hunting them ....... but when you can kill em for free elsewhere in the area ..... itd be hard to do

(Franklin County)

i was telling someone about this thread, and how there are hogs in PA. he seems amused actually. i too didnt know anything about there being wild hogs, and not only that, they are not too far from where i live, according to the pgc website. but from what i did read, it seems they do want you to follow all other rules of hunting, but did not define whether these pigs are big game or small game? cause if i want to blast them with birdshot or a .22, can they tell me i cant? or if i want to use a crossbow or muzzleloader? i understand the need for orange, a license, and hunting during regular hours. its mostly to make their jobs easier, cause if you are running around on state land with camo, semi auto guns, and doing it at night, they are going to automatically assume you are "harassing the wildlife" or poaching. i would prefer is the state consider the hogs a special game animal, make a season, bag limits, and special rules that only apply to them. thats just the only reasonable thing to do..but once again if you are on private land, i saw do whatever you want.

(Allegheny County)

I can forsee myself combining some coyote / hog hunting.
    Probably start out in a creek bottom, following the creek, then hunt for which ever critter I cross sign for first. Possibley set up over a likely hog crossing and do some calling for 'yotes.

Just some thoughts.

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast