Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Pike County)

Default Is any state game land open for discharging fire-arms?

Once again im still looking for an open area where I can shoot clay birds.

After looking into a few areas and finding its too much risk or worth getting permission to fire on there, this is my last effort in finding an open area to shoot trap before having to sign up for a gun club.

If I enter any state game land that I know 100% sure is game land for hunting is the discharge of fire-arms legal in the area?

Im just basically looking for a decent sized area or clearing where I can throw up trap with a few friends like we used to before the idiots ruined the SGL 183 range.

Does anybody know an area that this is legal in the vicinity of Pike? Or more general is state game lands open for firing guns?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Is any state game land open for discharging fire-arms?

The rule is target shooting must be done at a range.

(Mifflin County)

There is a State Game lands range in Pike county. I generally don't go to Game Lands ranges, so I don't know about shooting clays there....

PIKE COUNTY

From the intersection of State route 6 and 507 in Tafton, near Hawley, go east on State Route 6 approximately 1 1/2 miles.

(Pike County)

yea that range is the one where the shotgun area was closed off.

(York County)

I thought trap was okay on the game lands we do it here in york, or at least we did 2 years ago. We just found an open spot off rte 74 and went at it, picked up our hulls and packed it in and left, no worries.

Dave
    3%

(Pike County)

can anyone confirm this? This is exactly what ive been wanting to hear

(Mifflin County)

Here's what I could find:

Sec. 2507. Restrictions on shooting.

(a) General rule. - It is unlawful for any person during the open season for the taking of any big game other than turkey to:

(1) Shoot at any mark or target other than legal game or wildlife with a firearm of any kind or a bow and arrow.

(2) Discharge at any time any firearm or release an arrow at random in the general direction of any game or wildlife not plainly visible for the purpose of routing or frightening them.

(3) Discharge at any time any firearm or release an arrow at random or in any other manner contrary to this section.

(b) Exceptions. - This section shall not be construed to apply in any manner to:

(1) The discharge of any firearm for the sole purpose of signaling for aid or assistance while in distress.

(2) The use of rifle, pistol or archery ranges owned, leased or maintained by a State or Federal military or police organization or by any regularly organized rifle, pistol, shotgun or archery range, shooting association or club while shooting at a regularly established and properly safeguarded range or to any public shooting exhibition properly safeguarded and conducted under the direction of any organization for the promotion of marksmanship.

(3) The discharge of a muzzle-loading firearm at a proper target for the purpose of safe transportation of the muzzle-loaded firearm.

(4) Shooting at a properly constructed target or mark or a dead tree protected by a natural or artificial barrier so that the ball, bullet or arrow cannot travel more than 15 yards beyond the target aimed at, after making due allowance for deflection in any direction not to exceed an angle of 45 degrees. Target shooting shall only be lawful when it is done:

(i) Upon property owned by the shooter or by a guest of the property owner.

(ii) Within 200 yards of the camp or other headquarters where the person shooting is quartered or is an invited guest or visitor.

(c) Penalty. - A violation of this section is a summary offense of the fourth degree.

(York County)

You know what? I'm gonna call the PGC 2mro and see what they have to say. I really thought it was okay to shoot trap. Maybe I'm wrong, sure as hell won't be the 1st time.

Dave
    3%

(York County)

Just got off the phone witht he SEPA regional office and apparently that would be a big negative. You MAY NOT shoot trap on the game lands. But you may do it on private land that you own or have permission to be on. All acording to the office above. So I guess I'm glad we never gotr caught, would have to plead ignorance on that one.

Dave
    3%

(Monroe County)

I guess I"m gonna try a gun club in monroe county