Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Hey all, new gun-owner here

What's up everyone!

23, and a new gun-owner here! Just saying hello to everyone and showing off my new gun

I've heard nothing but good things on the Springfield XDm - 3.8 - 9x19 pistol.

Any suggestions on Ammunition for a newbie? I was given some 115gr TulAmmo FMJ rounds by the sportsmans shop I purchased the gun at. Just range rounds Im guessing?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Hey all, new gun-owner here

You generally don't want to use FMJ as defensive ammo. "Ball" ammo has a tendency to over-penetrate, which could be a hazard to innocent bystanders. That, and it doesn't transfer as much energy to the intended target as a deforming nosed bullet will.

I'd use the FMJ for range ammo, or keeping it for a SHTF/end-of-days/zombie invasion.

As for what else to use - hopefully an XD owner will step forward and let you know what works great in their gun.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    You generally don't want to use FMJ as defensive ammo. "Ball" ammo has a tendency to over-penetrate, which could be a hazard to innocent bystanders. That, and it doesn't transfer as much energy to the intended target as a deforming nosed bullet will.

I'd use the FMJ for range ammo, or keeping it for a SHTF/end-of-days/zombie invasion.

As for what else to use - hopefully an XD owner will step forward and let you know what works great in their gun.
    Yeah, I've definitely heard that about FMJ. It was given with the gun, so I wasn't going to say no

I'll look up some rounds with less penetration, but I would definitely appreciate another XD, XDS or XDM owner to chime in

(Cumberland County)

I really like power balls for self defense ammunition. Hollow points but nice rounded filler so no feed issues. Next for me is hornady critical defense - tried and true. Congrats!
    Last edited by cruzans; September 4th, 2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: spellin
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

I have 3 Springfield Armory guns and I use

Hornady Tap 200 gr +p

http://www.hornady.com/store/45-ACP-...gr-HP-XTP-FPD/ in my xds .45/xdm .45

In my xdm9 sc I run

9mm Luger Federal HST 147 Grain Hollow Point LE Ammo

I recently bought some of this over the weekend and Im pretty impressed with it. 50 gr the ammo weighs nothing and 2000fps

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/133...-20?cm_vc=U112

It may get expensive but make sure you run a few rounds of your SD ammo prior to carrying. I cycle my carry loads about once every 6 months to replace but I'm funny like that. As Cruzans said above you can't go wrong with critical defense. They also make a "zombie" ammo which is the same bullet and jacket but it has a green core instead of red. It will normally run you $1 cheaper per box.
    Last edited by amnesia; September 3rd, 2013 at 01:05 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    I really like power balls for self defense ammunition. Hollow points but nice rounded filler so so feed issues. Next for me is hornady critical defense - tried and true. Congrats!

+1 on Hornady Critical Defense.

Quote Originally Posted by lemko View Post
    +1 on Hornady Critical Defense.
    +2 on Critical Defense. It has worked very well for me, even in my old 1911 that was very picky about ammo.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Ditto. I use Critical Defense in 3 different calibers, and it runs well in whatever gun I use.

(Delaware County)

Not being a wise guy. More important than ammo, get lots of trigger time. Learn to shoot your gun. Shoot it left hand, right hand and two hand. The best ammo out there isn't any good if it doesn't hit anything.
    I have yet to find any ammo that won't work in any of my polymer handguns, whether it's a XD, M&P or FN.

BTW, welcome to PAFOA.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(York County)

You don't need another XD owners opinion on the ammo. The XD is a reliable gun that'll eat what you feed it, so no worries about a type of ammo not working properly in the gun.

Hornady's Critical Defense line is popular and I have no complaints. For 9mm I like Speer Gold Dot's for no particular reason. I go 124gr +p. Has always grouped well for me. Any of the major manufacturers out there these days will have fantastic performance. Winchester Ranger/PDX, Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, Hornady Critical Defense. Take your pick really.

Check this video out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuLoUzplbYQ

With FMJ I prefer Federal American Eagle 124 gr. They're good rounds that give good groups and aren't very expensive. Although right now is tight times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast