Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default SGL Range French Creek

I'm new to the forum, and though I'd use today's early morning, first time, trip to the SGL range at French Creek Park (Elverson) as an opportunity to get my feet wet.

Before going had picked up quite a mix of comments on SGL ranges and this one in particular - although admittedly a lot of it dated.

My experience was first rate. Got there 07.40 (Labor Day), a couple of benches already set up with serious shooters. Friendly hellos, and a well run, self-moderated, safe and enjoyable time. Rules followed to the T. Some pleasant and informative conversations. Solid, well maintained benches (shredded tire padding looked quite new) - although as you'd expect not everyone is picking up their brass and cases. Can also imagine the (constantly?) burning trash can - which is rather close to the firing line - being annoying if you find yourself downwind.

Spent a little more than an hour there (tweaking my new Eotech HHS II combo at 100yds, in case anyone is interested), never completely full. Some folks left, some more arrived - all walks of life, but all quality. If these ranges still attract the gansta element, they were probably still in bed. Just one man's experience, but thought I'd post a POV in case others were considering this facility.

(Berks County)

Default Re: SGL Range French Creek

Sounds like you got there early enough to beat the ghetto trash.

Last time I was there... I thought I was in 3rd world country.

One batch of gangstas started shooting at the pistol targets while guys were 100 yards downrange changing rifle targets.

I have never been back to that range since.

Glad to hear you had a good experience. I had a few good experiences there too...but my last trip there was my last for a reason. Negligent discharges while others are down range are not my idea of a good time. And the guilty party was not a ghetto thug, but seemed more like a hillbilly trying to impress his two female friends with his guns and rent a cop uniform.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ken wood View Post
    Sounds like you got there early enough to beat the ghetto trash.

Last time I was there... I thought I was in 3rd world country.

One batch of gangstas started shooting at the pistol targets while guys were 100 yards downrange changing rifle targets.

I have never been back to that range since.
    I have never been to a third world country....can you tell me what it is like ??? And is there a lot of ghetto trash there ???
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

Good for you, glad you had a good time there. I go there at least once a week, usually early, and usually have a good time. Closer to noon or later, any time on week ends, holidays, never. I always call for any violations now. Had the troopers up there about two weeks ago for horseplay on the firing line including sweeping everyone, and they got a 3 for 1 deal, one had warrants (surprise!), one didn't have a range use permit, and the third got cuffed and stuffed I don't know why. Called for people shooting well before the open fire time on Sundays too. You're the only one shooting on the line, and the other 20 are sitting there holding their dicks, and you don't think you might be the one doing it wrong? hehe

Anyway good you had a fun time up there, I'm sure I'll run into you.

I have had both good and bad experinces at that range. Truthfully the majority of days probably were just fine. Most people were nice and respectful. I had a few really sour experiences that have kept me away.

Best of luck up there, wcome to the sport!!!

(Wayne County)

I go there every now and again, it's been better in the past few years than it was before.

There is an old man who tries to pick up your brass.

I also ran into a real dick who decided to set up next to me ( the rest of the range was empty ) and proceeded to lecture me on how annoying it was that my brass was hitting him.

I just packed up and rolled laughing......
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(Chester County)

Thanks - appreciate the comments and experiences relayed. Certainly still seems that a mixed time can be had - best defense seems an alarm clock.
    "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned." Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Splittiebus66 View Post
    I go there every now and again, it's been better in the past few years than it was before.

There is an old man who tries to pick up your brass.

I also ran into a real dick who decided to set up next to me ( the rest of the range was empty ) and proceeded to lecture me on how annoying it was that my brass was hitting him.

I just packed up and rolled laughing......
    Yes who is that annoying old brass thief? Creepy guy. He was doing that same trick over 10 yrs ago. Retired I guess, he should have a brass mountain by now.

(Lancaster County)

I was there on Saturday of Labor Day weekend. There was a guy there who appointed himself RSO and ran things very smoothly. The guy picking up brass was there. I have no problem with that and save my brass on the bench for him rather than making him pick it up with that rod doohickey he uses. He was selling reloads. He ofered me 20 rounds of 165gr 30-06 for $20. I didn't need any at the time. Compared to my other public range (the dreaded rt 6 range in Pike Co.) shooting Saturday felt like I was at a private rod & gun club.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast