Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Anyone tried to carry to the Berks Courthouse?

Has anyone tried carrying into the Berks County Courthouse in Reading? I'm curious if they're supporting the statute requiring a place to store/check-in lawfully declared firearms.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Berks County)

Default Re: Anyone tried to carry to the Berks Courthouse?

I have carried to the Berks County Courthouse several times. They do have lockboxs at the courthouse and i believe in the services center as well. Security has you fill out a paper with what you're locking in the box and then you keep the key. Never had to unload the weapon.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jsmithxd View Post
    I have carried to the Berks County Courthouse several times. They do have lockboxs at the courthouse and i believe in the services center as well. Security has you fill out a paper with what you're locking in the box and then you keep the key. Never had to unload the weapon.
    Thanks for the information, good to hear that they're in compliance with the law.
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."

-John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Berks County)

yep i carry everytime i go there......the first thing i do is get my ltc out of my wallet and hand it to the security, i never reach for my gun till i get to the lock box......whats funny is that one time i went, did the whole gun thing, i went threw the metal det and i set it off, he said go ahead.......it was only my zippo but wow.....i usually put my phone in my gun locker cuz u cant have cameras in the court house....always nice to me there and dont treat me like crap

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by billy870m9 View Post
    yep i carry everytime i go there......the first thing i do is get my ltc out of my wallet and hand it to the security, i never reach for my gun till i get to the lock box......whats funny is that one time i went, did the whole gun thing, i went threw the metal det and i set it off, he said go ahead.......it was only my zippo but wow.....i usually put my phone in my gun locker cuz u cant have cameras in the court house....always nice to me there and dont treat me like crap
    Even better. Good to hear that they're in compliance AND also not hassling people for exercising their rights.
    -Charlton Heston

-John Quincy Adams

-Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Berks County)

ok so heres the story....i actually went to the courthouse today for a copy of my marriage cert......so heres what happened....i went in and showed the guard my ltc, i took my sog multi tool off and he started filling paper work out for the gun, gave me a key and i put the gun and sog in the lock box, locked the box and handed him the key....i then took my receipt and went through the metal det....it went off, i asked him if he wanted me to take all the metal out of my pockets and he replied "i think we got the most important stuff" and he let me go...........i of course already gave him my weapons, but my question is why didnt he check me any further when i set the metal det off???? i could have had another gun or knife or anything......i think its a lack of security.....it wasnt the first time that happened to me.....it kinda tells me that if u turn in one firearm anything else is ok??? its just wierd to me...i mean i could have had another gun...then what????

(Beaver County)

i went in and showed the guard my ltc, i took my sog multi tool off and he started filling paper work out for the gun, gave me a key and i put the gun and sog in the lock box, locked the box and handed him the key....i then took my receipt and went through the metal det....it went off, i asked him if he wanted me to take all the metal out of my pockets and he replied "i think we got the most important stuff" and he let me go
    I would like to think they can see that you arent a bad person. I see your concern, but it worries me that removing all common-sense based judgement powers from people will make things worse, not better.

Had someone gone in there with a scowl on thier face, refused ID, given over a knife, and then it went off again, they'd be searched again.

(Berks County)

yea your right.....it seemed to me that he could tell i was one of the good guys......i went in and took my multi tool off cuz it had a knife on it and even asked if my zippo was ok to go in the courthouse.....its just that if i had a bad day or god forbid a court hearing like someone hurt my daughter, things might go differently......but i guess its better than being hassled

(Perry County)

It sounds like bad security practice to me. I've been in and out of the Dauphin County Couthouse literally thousands of times in my 14 years working for a law firm. I take evrything out of my pockets and put it in a tray and walk through the metal detector. If it goes off...they still wand me and they see me as often as they see their family members.

Dave G.

(Berks County)

I went to pick up my LTCF yesterday and the sign on the door (unless i read it wrong) said no guns, knifes ect. beyond this point. Seems like they can nail you for having a weapon once you pass the doors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast