Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Cobray M-11 question

the other day I was chattin with a buddy, he mentioned to me about a cobray M-11 he bought a couple years ago and it had a 14 inch barrel.....he asked me about the legality of him putting a short 3 inch barrel on it and to be honest I told him I wasn't quit sure, he said when he bought it (at a gun dealer) it was sold as a pistol so my question is...would it be legal to put a 3 inch barrel on this thing?

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Cobray M-11 question

Quote Originally Posted by Lendog View Post
    the other day I was chattin with a buddy, he mentioned to me about a cobray M-11 he bought a couple years ago and it had a 14 inch barrel.....he asked me about the legality of him putting a short 3 inch barrel on it and to be honest I told him I wasn't quit sure, he said when he bought it (at a gun dealer) it was sold as a pistol so my question is...would it be legal to put a 3 inch barrel on this thing?

If it was bought as a pistol then it is a pistol and barrel length can be as short as you like as far as I know. 14" is not long enough for a non SBR rifle anyway so 3" wouldn't be any different just don't attach a buttstock to it then it would be an SBR. That would be my take on it but IANAL.

(Berks County)

thanks for the info

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    If it was bought as a pistol then it is a pistol and barrel length can be as short as you like as far as I know. 14" is not long enough for a non SBR rifle anyway so 3" wouldn't be any different just don't attach a buttstock to it then it would be an SBR. That would be my take on it but IANAL.
    ^RL got it.

(Erie County)

Make sure you check into applicable laws reguarding the change in barrel length. I had a cobray m-11 put 30 rnds through it and took it back to dealer I bought it from. It had the long barrel and removable steel stock. I could not stand the debris blow back on it which was a result from the upper not being welded down the sides on the rear of the stamped receiver. Also it had a 500# trigger pull and it took an act of god to pull the charging handle. I traded it on a mildly used 10-22 and dont regret that trade for tons of reasons.
    Muzzel Down Range, Eyes On Target...

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by norb5150 View Post
    Make sure you check into applicable laws reguarding the change in barrel length. I had a cobray m-11 put 30 rnds through it and took it back to dealer I bought it from. It had the long barrel and removable steel stock. I could not stand the debris blow back on it which was a result from the upper not being welded down the sides on the rear of the stamped receiver. Also it had a 500# trigger pull and it took an act of god to pull the charging handle. I traded it on a mildly used 10-22 and dont regret that trade for tons of reasons.
    So long as it started life as a handgun - it can have any barrel length you want so long as there is some sort of rifling beyond the chamber. ..from a fraction of an inch long to 10 miles long, or longer.

Only rifles and shotguns have minimum barrel lengths.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    So long as it started life as a handgun - it can have any barrel length you want so long as there is some sort of rifling beyond the chamber. ..from a fraction of an inch long to 10 miles long, or longer.

Only rifles and shotguns have minimum barrel lengths.
    I wonder if it would fire with a 10' barrel?

(Jefferson County)

I'm sure it will fire, but there probably wont be enough pressure to overcome the drag once it got so far down the barrel.

Even most rifle cartridges start losing velocity after 28-32 inches.

More than likely a bullet from a pistol cartridge will get lodged in the barrel. ...with a 9mm, I'd guess right around 40 inches, if that.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lendog View Post
    I'm thinking he's mesuring the barrel wrong. He most likely mesured from the front of the receiver to the muzzle. the barrel on a cobray goes into the receiver a couple of inches so it's most likely a 16 inch barrel they made some of those with stocks and sold them as rifles. you would have to go through the paperwork and pay the tax to convert it to a Short Barrel Rifle if thats the case. Not hard just time consuming.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter2 View Post
    I'm thinking he's mesuring the barrel wrong. He most likely mesured from the front of the receiver to the muzzle. the barrel on a cobray goes into the receiver a couple of inches so it's most likely a 16 inch barrel they made some of those with stocks and sold them as rifles. you would have to go through the paperwork and pay the tax to convert it to a Short Barrel Rifle if thats the case. Not hard just time consuming.
    The designation on the 16" barrel rifles w/ stock is the CM-11, which I suppose the C stands for Carbine M-11.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast