Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Good places for small game hunting.

What are some good places to hunt rabbits and squirrels nearish to bucks county (i'm more than willing to drive a bit). I'm new to the sport of hunting and figure small game is probably the best way to start.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Good places for small game hunting.

State Game Lands 157 is in bucks county. Look it up on the PA portal. I think it's near quakertown. I am 42 and last year I decided to take up hunting. I found that squirrels were a great way to start practicing. If you come from the suburbs like me, you'd think it was very easy...but hunting squirrels in an SGL is much harder. They are very wary of humans. I had a lot of frustrating days as I learned how to be more quiet and to get more camoflauged. It also gives you good practice in "field dressing". I own 40 acres in the Poconos, but I hunted on an SGL at first. It helped me practice following all the rules, wearing the right amount of orange, carrying the right firearm, etc. Another thing hunting in an SGL teaches you is to pack light! It's amazing how much useless crap I would lug around.....when you have to walk for miles, you quickly get smart about what to carry and what not to. I envy people who were lucky to grouw up hunting and be taught by their dad....I had to learn on forums like this, you tube, and alot of trial and error. I'm no expert, but I have really learned to love it. Good luck.
    The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others.

(Bucks County)

Try SGL 56 and 157 near Nockamixon. Also Nockamixon SP once it opens for hunting.

(Monroe County)

Hey Dlist, when you find yourself in the poconos during small game, look me up. May not be able to put you on a lot of rabbit or (even less) pheasant, but squirrel I can get ya all day long lol. But back on subject, I agree with nockamixon once it opens for hunting and SGL 157. been there a few times a year for a while now.

Does nockamixon open at a different time than regular hunting season? I was thinking of checking it out this year

(Montgomery County)

I definitely will. I'm in South Sterling. Tobyhanna park and SGL 127 are near to me. Thanks.
    The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others.

(Monroe County)

I'm in tobyhanna as well. During the season look for the blue chevy on river road down at the del water gap.

(Erie County)

Being a lifelong hunter, 27 years living in Michigan, I sometimes prefer to not hunt SGLs. However, since I moved here a year ago I now have an 800 acre tract less than 500 yards from my house to hunt. The BEST advice I can give you is find some farms/land that you think looks like a good place to hunt and knock on doors. It seems a bit daunting at first but if you are nice and courteous it will get you a LONG way. I would also offer some of whatever you kill. I spent a Saturday and helped one of the guys plow his field, pretty fair for unlimited access to his property. Another guy is an older gentleman and we talked for probably 2 hours, he was a bit reserved at first not knowing me, however, by the end of our talks he told me that honestly he was glad to just have somebody to talk to about hunting (He's old and doesn't get out much) and told me I was free to come around anytime to hunt or just talk. Most farmers and people in general don't mind if you hunt their property if you are courteous. Although, I would say it is sometimes easier to get the ok to hunt if you are only bow hunting or using a shotgun, rifle can be a bit of a harder sell (too many idiots with guns, which is another reason I don't prefer the SGLs). I do 99% of my hunting with a bow, small game included, and am able to go all the time now. One of the farmers by me actually paid me to come over and hunt groundhogs and coyotes for him, let me keep the pelts to sell as well.
    Last edited by H4ck.b0x7; September 6th, 2013 at 04:04 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dlistman View Post
    State Game Lands 157 is in bucks county. Look it up on the PA portal. I think it's near quakertown. I am 42 and last year I decided to take up hunting. I found that squirrels were a great way to start practicing. If you come from the suburbs like me, you'd think it was very easy...but hunting squirrels in an SGL is much harder. They are very wary of humans. I had a lot of frustrating days as I learned how to be more quiet and to get more camoflauged. It also gives you good practice in "field dressing". I own 40 acres in the Poconos, but I hunted on an SGL at first. It helped me practice following all the rules, wearing the right amount of orange, carrying the right firearm, etc. Another thing hunting in an SGL teaches you is to pack light! It's amazing how much useless crap I would lug around.....when you have to walk for miles, you quickly get smart about what to carry and what not to. I envy people who were lucky to grouw up hunting and be taught by their dad....I had to learn on forums like this, you tube, and alot of trial and error. I'm no expert, but I have really learned to love it. Good luck.
    New to the forum and in a similar situation (just getting into hunting).
    Looking at Nockamixon for small game to start. Any recommendations? Is it better to start this later in the season after deer?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jsolecki View Post
    New to the forum and in a similar situation (just getting into hunting).
    Looking at Nockamixon for small game to start. Any recommendations? Is it better to start this later in the season after deer?
    Nockamixon is probably good (never been there). I have been to Evansburg State Park and it definitely has squirrels. When I hunted Evansburg, I would use a shotgun rather than a 22 because there are a fair amount of houses near by and I don't trust my skills. But you are allowed to use a 22. Also, just make sure you are unloaded in any safety zone because the park rangers do routinely hang out by your truck and check your weapons as you return. As far as waiting after deer season; that's up to you. The small game gets harder after deer season is over but still doable. You may run into a few bowhunters if you go now which may annoy them...but it is public land.