Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Has anyone used XS big dot night sights?

I'm thinking about putting a set of these on my Glock 26 and my Para 1911 (my carry guns). Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Has anyone used XS big dot night sights?

I have them on my HP.
    I hated it when I first got it, but as I gotten used to it, more I come to like it.
    Its fast aqquireing, and easy to see.

I wouldn't call it target sight, but for defence gun, i think its great sight, specially the Big dot sight
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Allegheny County)

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you type "big dot" in the search bar above, you'll see a bunch of posts about them.

I don't need a bigger dot, I need a bigger bullseye.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but if you type "big dot" in the search bar above, you'll see a bunch of posts about them.

I don't need a bigger dot, I need a bigger bullseye.

I have a set on one of my Glocks but haven't really done any drills with them yet. I have a set of Heinie Straight Eight slant pros on the other pistol that work just fine.

I'll be shooting the big dots at next Sundays group shoot and get back to you. I'll let EM try them and he can tell you how he likes them. (We'll use big targeted bullseyes) .

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    I'm thinking about putting a set of these on my Glock 26 and my Para 1911 (my carry guns). Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them.
    I had them on my Sig, my wife has them on her Kimber CDP Ultra,and our Smith 360PD has the XS front sight.

Nothing but good things to say about them, they do take a little getting use too, but once you learn how the sights work (it's not exactly like they print on the instructions) and get a good feel on what alignment works for you they work very well.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Lycoming County)

Yeah, they are a trap for new, inexperienced shooters, but a godsend for old, experienced shooters with shortening of the arms disease.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun." -St. John of Liverpool

1911 Curmudgeon

The ones I have on my Kimber Clackamas Classic Custom are a godsend to old eyes. I like the safari type open v on the rear very much since I can get on target more easily. The front dot looks like a ping-pong ball hanging out there over the muzzle. I need the help.

(Chester County)

I have them on my Glock 19, and plan to remove them.

It'll take you a couple boxes to get used to them. What I found is that you have to tell your mind to shut the hell up, just focus on the dot, and shoot the gun. If you're consciously trying to line up your front and rear sight...you won't "get it". It seems to take most people a few boxes, then they really get the hang of them.

With using them, I've learned to shoot better at distance with them. They REALLY reinforce how important front sight focus is....

I think they are probably the BEST sights you can put on a pistol for a "30' and in" use. While moving dynamically, they're SO much easier to track than a 3 dot sight, or really any notch + post sight.

What I have begun to notice is that they're not as fast at distance. I have been able to shoot them with the same degree of precision as I have traditional sights...but it takes longer to get the alignment at distance.

I use them on my carry/ IDPA/ everything, gun...and I've found that they're big enough that you can focus on the target, and still line up your sights (even while blurry) quite easily. Trying this with a 3 dot would be a LOT harder.

Now that I've put a ton of rounds through my gun, "finding the front sight" is now easier for me, and the advantage the big dot offers is beginning to expire (for me.)

If your concern is contact distance - 10 yards...they'll be a great option. If you're trying to push your shooting out farther...you might notice that they're not the best option at distance.

They work, and work well. I've rung plates at 50 yards with them, easy. But I can group shots faster past 10 yards with traditional sights.
    If your eyes have trouble using traditional sights, they're a great option.

Most shooters who shoot as well or better than I do, don't like big dots...and have chosen a tritium post front sight (or FO), and rear sights like the Warren, Heinie, or the 10-8.

A lot of people would benefit from using Big Dots...and a lot of expert shooters would benefit from NOT using them.

EDIT: after using the Warren Tacticals for some time now, I've got to say...XS sights offer just about no advantage unless you have severe vision problem. Get some notch+post sights with an open notch. I can't recommend the Warrens highly enough.
    Last edited by synergy; September 4th, 2008 at 12:17 AM.