Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Non served temporary PFA and license to carry

Hello Group,

I have a situation I need guidance on. My ex girlfriend is trying to have me served with a temporary pfa which requires 24 hours to surrender firearms. However I haven't been home for over 2 weeks and therefore they could not serve me.

PLEASE MORE THAT I NEVER THREATENED OR ABUSED HER.
    The only thing I did was send a couple insults through text messages.

Anyway my question is that do they automatically suspend your license to carry before or after you're served??

And do they put it into ncic before or after service.

The only thing I could get from lawyers is that they just keep continuing the case until I'm
    Served but her problem is that she has to keep showing up for each hearing which is held every 10 business days. I'm hoping after awhile she gets tired of having to go. If not I can at least show the court that I haven't had any type of communication with her and she can't truthfully say otherwise.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Non served temporary PFA and license to carry

I meant to put please note not please more (auto correct sucks)

(Allegheny County)

There is nothing in any PFA language requiring you to surrender your LTCF back to the sheriff. Your game playing trying to duck the service of the PFA can't last forever...the police don't have to serve it on you in person, there are a number of alternative methods of service approved by the courts which even include leaving the PFA with the hotel clerk where you are staying.

It surprises me after past experiences here and on other forums that someone would post something like this and honestly say Oh I did not know...

1) you posted here that you know you are being served they just cant find you... SURPRISE they also look on the internet, not to mention that most PD have key words they look for on boards and forums... I'm betting served is one of those.. I can remember at least 3 cases where logs from a forum where used against a member here.

2) you are asking people to help you, wouldn't that be helping a fugitive in a way?

3) the average member here is not a lawyer, they can say what ever and just like me, say but i am not a lawyer... why not call a lawyer and get it over with?
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Northampton County)

Contact Atty Phil Kline (Quakertown) who frequents this forum as "GunLawyer". Soon as possible.

Since this involves an ex-girlfriend, why not just tell her to please drop the PFA and you will cease all contact with her. She gets peace and quiet and no attending weekly hearings.

Just a thought. Might end it there....unless the goal is to "aggravate each other". Life is too short for that.

Has she sent you text messages, equivalent to what you sent to her?

If so, file a temporary PFA against her.

(Philadelphia County)

I thought you didn't have to surrender your firearms, but you could give them away? If that's the case I'd gladly take them or you could find a family member to look after them while the PFA is in effect.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    There is nothing in any PFA language requiring you to surrender your LTCF back to the sheriff.
    No, but it should trigger a revocation of that license, which requires its surrender. If the OP hasn't been around his address of record, he may already be revoked and in violation of his duty to surrender the LTCF.

Probably not, if it hasn't been served, but FAR stranger things have happened.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Tioga County)

I've always found it funny in life how many people that create legal or financial dramas for themselves often try to run and avoid them as though that makes it all go away.

I've heard this PFA thing mentioned before so I had to read up on it and it appears it would be triggered by a lot more than a couple of insulting text messages. If that is the case and a few text messages do indeed trigger a PFA, then the law needs to be changed, as long as the messages themselves are not threatening. Because otherwise any old crazy broad can use it against you and declare you guilty without a trial.

My advice to the OP would be to seek legal counsel and then take care of your legal business and move on. For all we know the OP could be a violent, crazed looney toon who has a PFA on him for good reason, we really have no idea. But if not my other piece of advice is to avoid letting crazy women into your life. All women are crazy to some extent and don't have linear, rational thought processes, so you really need to pick and choose who you let into your life and why. I see a lot of these men out there they bring this drama on themselves by hooking up with some barfly skag, drug abuser, alcoholic, shopaholic or on mental prescription meds and I really can't say I feel all that sorry for them.

(Delaware County)

The reason I'm avoiding it is because the courts always take the womans side unless I have concrete evidence that I'm not an abuser. I've been avoiding her. She texted me and my Mom telling me I need to contact the sheriffs office or her police station which is an hours from where I live to pick up the paperwork. I of course ignored the text. I also tried getting her to drop it but she refuses. I'm not going to avoid it forever I just want to show the courts that I had zero contact with her and therefore there's no need for a pfa. I don't even want her ass no more. After this I would never take her back. Also im seeing someone else too so I think that would help me as well. Also I did not post my real name on here so I could be anyone. Also a pfa is not an arrest warrant.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by jd1984 View Post
    The reason I'm avoiding it is because the courts always take the womans side unless I have concrete evidence that I'm not an abuser. I've been avoiding her. She texted me and my Mom telling me I need to contact the sheriffs office or her police station which is an hours from where I live to pick up the paperwork. I of course ignored the text. I also tried getting her to drop it but she refuses. I'm not going to avoid it forever I just want to show the courts that I had zero contact with her and therefore there's no need for a pfa. I don't even want her ass no more. After this I would never take her back. Also im seeing someone else too so I think that would help me as well. Also I did not post my real name on here so I could be anyone. Also a pfa is not an arrest warrant.
    So like I said, sounds like you need to seek out legal assistance on your issues, whether you created or contributed to them or not, and get it all sorted out. That way you don't get railroaded unintentionally. A forum can dispense advice, but sometimes professional help is the only way to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast