Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help with polishing Stainless Steel

So I have a stainless steel revolver (Colt Anaconda) and upon close inspection in the light, I see some scratches that have been just getting under my skin. I tried to polish with some oil and quad 0 steel wool but it looks like I am making it worse.

Before I ruin a 1500 dollar gun, does anyone know a reputable place to send the revolver for polishing or have any suggestions for me to do it on my own? I can try and take some pics but I don't know how well it will show up...

Default Re: Help with polishing Stainless Steel

Believe it or not using steel wool or a brush on stainless can impregnate steel into the surface of the stainless. Then the steel ends up rusting.

http://gunpolishing.com/index.htm

Thanks for the info i sent the guy an email to see if he can help me out.. I will post before/after pics for anyone who might want to see them

(Berks County)

You got to pickle it now with acid. No not what you think. Google it. I stumbled onto a company that sells the products for this and explanes everything about stainless steel and rusting. The acid desolves the iron leaving the Crome on top to oxidize and protect the steel. Don't waste time get on it or it will go deep. By the way semi chrome or flitz scotch brite is what to use instead of steel wool but man polishing guns is a skill and if some little scratch is gonna kill you what's a screwed up polish job gonna do to you? Wax the gun untill you get the solution to dip it in.

(Perry County)

I use Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish. Takes the light scratches out and looks like new when you're done. I did it to my Delta Elite.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

I have used Flitz for minor scratches and metal polishing.

(Lehigh County)

Get a can of never dull, shines and protects. I found this a few years ago and I polish all my ss slides etc... I did some about 2 years ago and they still look great.

(Jefferson County)

Steel wool will dull the finish. On an already polished item it will give it a matte finish. Remember - steel wool is made of steel.. Rubbing metal on metal is never good for the softer metal, and will usually mar the harder metal.

You need a polishing compound and a buffing wheel or lots of elbow grease with a good rag.

Be mindful of which polishing compound you get. Some are more abrasive than others. For mirror type finishes some "pro's" use 2, 3, or more different compounds starting with the more abrasive and working to the finest grade - just like using sandpaper.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I often will use 1000grit wet/dry emery followed up by 2000 grit wet/dry emery and then polish.(wetting the paper with water helps) I have used Flitz and the Mothers polish a lot over the years and found that the Mothers works better on metals than the Flitz especially on stainless. I use Flitz primarily on plastics because it is less gritty and aggressive. If I want a satin finish I will use a 3M scuff pad (maroon) which will not contaminate the work surface. They make them in several grits.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    I use Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish. Takes the light scratches out and looks like new when you're done. I did it to my Delta Elite.
    Same here on my S&W 60-worked great.
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast