Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default What is the AK-47 market like now?

AR's seem to be back to pre-panic prices. So what is the AK market like?

Can you get a reliable rifle for $500-700 still? If not at what price point buys reliability?

Given the prices of ammo for AK still seems to be cheaper I would not mind having one as a backup to my Colt AR.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Washington County)

Default Re: What is the AK-47 market like now?

AK prices have yet to fall to pre panic prices. Ace has a wasr 10 for $788, and that's the price across the board at most retailers I've found. The ammo for them is just about at normal price again. But I think it's gonna be a little while longer for the price to drop on these imported firearms; there just aren't a lot in the country and I believe that's what is driving the current price.. just my 2 cents...
    "Confiscating is not stealing! I warned him!" -Valentin16

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGhost27 View Post
    AK prices have yet to fall to pre panic prices. Ace has a wasr 10 for $788, and that's the price across the board at most retailers I've found. The ammo for them is just about at normal price again. But I think it's gonna be a little while longer for the price to drop on these imported firearms; there just aren't a lot in the country and I believe that's what is driving the current price.. just my 2 cents...
    They have fallen a bit with vendors and quite a bit privately (depending) but not anywhere near pre panic prices like AR's seem to be falling too..

I dont think AK's/sks's/vepr's etc will rebound like this due to importation ban scares still in the midst of WH...but good deals are still out there..

Its not that there is not a lot in this country its still the "fear" driving the market in some sense

(Allegheny County)

Dollar wise, you would be better off buying a complete AR Upper in 7.62x39. You can get one for nearly half the price of an AK and have a more accurate platform for the 7.62x39. Check out Model 1 Sales.
    "He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad."
    Rafael Sabatini's "Scaramouche"

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1832 View Post
    Dollar wise, you would be better off buying a complete AR Upper in 7.62x39. You can get one for nearly half the price of an AK and have a more accurate platform for the 7.62x39. Check out Model 1 Sales.
    but not as reliable as the ak platform, especially with the tolerances the AR has compared to the AK...the AR platform was never intended for the AR system....these are combat weapons and both are combat effective....a solid AK should perfrom just as good as a solid non percision setup AR...can you get a nice colt x39 AR sure, are you going to pay for it...yess

(Allegheny County)

Look far and wide and get the best price on an AK you can find. That is, if you even still want one given the shaky short-term future.

Reason; this latest kerfuffle over Syria is pitting us against Putin and the CHICOMs. Even if it ends "OK" - I'm betting this administration will look very unfavorably on Russian imports, ya know, like Tula, SAIGA, 7N6.

Can't blame them a bit as Putin is a puke and the CHICOMs are useless as "world citizens".

Regardless, I don't see future stocks of cheap (Russian made) 7.62x39 on the horizon. Maybe you should stick to the AR.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    but not as reliable as the ak platform, especially with the tolerances the AR has compared to the AK...the AR platform was never intended for the AR system....these are combat weapons and both are combat effective....a solid AK should perfrom just as good as a solid non percision setup AR...can you get a nice colt x39 AR sure, are you going to pay for it...yess
    I can only speak from my own experience. I've been running a Model 1 Upper on a Bushy lower for nearly a year and a half now, and must have shot approx. 1100 rds through it with nary a hiccup. On the other hand, IMHO, no AR can match the reliability of an AK under adverse conditions, such as running it dry and/or dirty.
    "He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad."
    Rafael Sabatini's "Scaramouche"

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1832 View Post
    I can only speak from my own experience. I've been running a Model 1 Upper on a Bushy lower for nearly a year and a half now, and must have shot approx. 1100 rds through it with nary a hiccup. On the other hand, IMHO, no AR can match the reliability of an AK under adverse conditions, such as running it dry and/or dirty.
    coming from my expierence too, i was quite found of the x39 but never a fan of the AK (until more recently in my gun ownership) and my frist AR builds were x39 had good one and bad one

(Berks County)

Iffy market. There seemed to be a dip recently in some prices, then a little jump back up. I've recently seen uncoverted Saigas under $500, but not exactly an AK. I just got a new $600 Yugo o-pap with 1.6mm RPK receiver from J&G, but just after I ordered they jumped to $650 and are now gone. They have Yugo n-paps for $500. J&G has WASR's at $650. The private sale market can be better if people are patient. If by reliable you mean pull the trigger and they go bang every time, even most WASR's will do that.

As I peruse Gunbroker, there are a lot of AK's being bid up to 500-600 and reserves not being met. I think, and hope, we are moving into a bit more of a buyers' market. I think many buyers are finally saying it's crazy to pay some of these prices and just aren't.