Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: NO GUNS at the Bloomsburg Fair

They are making it more difficult for the law abiding to carry a legal firearm at sporting events, and public events like these. Recently, I was patted down going into a Phillies game. I felt like a criminal, yet had done nothing wrong. I did not bring a firearm as they no longer allow LTCF holders to secure their firearms in lockers.

I smell DHS/TSA encouraging local communities to ban firearms, and search people's bags. Next will be pat downs, or airport like security at public events.

This is NOT a good trend folks.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    Thanks to the two assholes that were involved in the Boston marathon bombings, I suspect that no guns and stop, frisk and search are going to be commonplace at more events open to the public.
    However I would be surprised if a boycott of the fair would work. Some may cite the successful boycott of the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show however there are different circumstances in these events. The Eastern Sports and Outdoor show appealed to a specific group namely people that were interested in guns and or hunting and this also applied to the vendors. Therefore when the boycott took flight not only did many would be patrons announce that they’re not going to attend, but a lot of vendors did too. This led to a lot of other would be goers that may have been planning to go to shop for a duck decoy, that had no interest in “ assault weapons” to come to the conclusion; “ why should I go and pay for parking and admission when half the vendors aren’t going to be there.” This effect would not occur if a boycott was attempted of the Bloomsburg fair.
    Another reason is what I call the county fair phenomenon. It works like this. The county fairs are notoriously filled with individuals known as carnies that are a nomadic people consisting of con- artists, charlatans and other undesirables (some that may be Megan’s Law registrants). These folks operate games that are design to create an illusion to a player that he or she has a good chance of winning but devices and other factors are in place to keep that from happening. If one does win the prizes are cheap and could be purchased at the Wal-Mart’s that’s not even a mile from the place. Often times parents let their children play these games where they not only interact with the aforementioned folks but believe they have a chance to win the game only to end up with the kids or their parents being separated from their money. In addition the rides are temporarily set up for that week only; therefore, anyone should question whether or not they are safe and have they been inspected and by whom. The same goes for the food vendors. Have the food stands been inspected for cleanliness and is someone scrutinizing how the food is being stored and prepared? For all we know those foods stands could be so filthy not even the cockroaches want to live in them.
    In conclusion if people are that stupid to pay to get into an event that contains the conditions described in prior paragraph, maybe they don’t deserve to own a firearm.
    No no you must not understand. They said no guns. Pressure cookers are still allowed.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Monroe County)

Steve...Well put and to the point! Thanks!
    Last edited by rch105; August 30th, 2013 at 09:02 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Angry Re: NO GUNS at the Bloomsburg Fair

Quote Originally Posted by Mattintaylor View Post
    In previous years, you could just walk right into the fair after paying, but Barratt says this year there will be volunteers all lined up here at each of the six entrances checking strollers, large purses, and backpacks.

“We’re hoping that the people aren’t going to be too upset with us. This is going to happen in the future everywhere you go,” Barratt said.

Barratt says the Berwick police department will show fair staff how to spot portable meth labs in people’s bags. This is another safety precaution so people do not buy and sell methamphetamine on the fairgrounds.

It isnt even going to be some minimum wage rent a cop responsible for gate security, it is volunteers!! This is what they think is goi to make the fair safer??
    SHEESH!!! This will be worse than going through the airport. Volunteers? What an opportunity for some creep to grope your wife, girlfriend, or daughter!
    Last edited by lemko; August 30th, 2013 at 09:19 AM.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by rch105 View Post
    Steve...Well put and to the point! Thanks!
    Thank you. Now let's hope that logic reigns over emotion.
    Steve: NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired), NRA LE Firearms Instructor

(Luzerne County)

BTW, if it hasn't already been mentioned, everyone with a Facebook account should let their feelings be known on the official Bloomsburg Fair FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomsburgFair
    Steve: NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired), NRA LE Firearms Instructor

(York County)

I sent in my emails to their little braintrust advising I was not going to attend. I also asked how they planned to keep the bad guys out with guns if they don't have airport level metal detectors, and body scanners. I guess they feel that their volunteer busybody bag searchers and child gropers will suffice..

I've attended 30+ yrs. taken family and friends. WILL NOT while no guns is in affect. they can count 4+ less unless it is lifted !!

(Montour County)

All fellow legal gun carriers,

I have just gotten off the phone with Mr. Barrett. Here is the latest and you will enjoy this.

If you have a PTCF, you will be able to carry into the fairgrounds, this was a misunderstanding. He said he will be searching "backpacks". No patdowns will be done and he will not be asking to see permits due to the lines trying to enter the grounds.

He stated to me that DHS sent 7 agents to discuss this with him and he needed to do something. He agrees this is a violation of gun owners rights.

If you doubt anything that has been said here, call him yourself. The number was posted on page 1 of this forum. Be nice to him and don't accuse him of violations...this is where some people have screwed up. If you don't talk to him like civilized people then you are not going to do anything but hurt our rights to carry in the future.

(York County)

This is the email I just got back and it made my head spin with anger!

"The decision was made because of Homeland Security and the Pennsylvania
    State Police telling us no guns, however if you have a permit you will be
    allowed to carry your gun conceiled. Rod"

This was from Rod Ralston, I believe he is the secretary

Can somebody tell me when we started letting homeland security or PSP tell us when we can exercise our rights and when we can't?

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast