Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: NO GUNS at the Bloomsburg Fair

So what is going to prevent someone from passing a handgun through, under or over the fence to someone inside???

These people really are fools.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    So what is going to prevent someone from passing a handgun through, under or over the fence to someone inside???

^^This PLUS the worst part...

They aren't searching PEOPLE... so someone with malicious intent will be able to walk their gun past the NO GUNS sign while us LAW ABIDING and RULE following citizens hopefully STAY away from the fair all together....I am serious this is a large public event I know that a protest/no guns no money campaign will draw attention to our cause.. I can picket for a few hours on the evening/weekends...who normally puts this stuff together...

this will not be a civil disobedience type thing I only want to publicize that PA is headed in a bad direction with these new ideas they keep getting...

(Luzerne County)

I sure as hell won't be attending this year or any other year this rule is enacted. I tried to send the fair's board president an email but it was returned undeliverable. It is a shame, though, I really wanted to take my 2 yr old there, but I will not sacrifice her safety over the fear of the imagined.
    Looks like another trip to Knoebels instead

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by utaker4433 View Post
    I sure as hell won't be attending this year or any other year this rule is enacted. I tried to send the fair's board president an email but it was returned undeliverable. It is a shame, though, I really wanted to take my 2 yr old there, but I will not sacrifice her safety over the fear of the imagined.
    Looks like another trip to Knoebels instead

Been to knoebels twice with the family so far this year. Much more fun for the $$$$ IMO and cc friendly at least.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post

And they do... my boys at West Mifflin say the gangsters throw guns over the fence at Kennywood all the time. If they do the there, they do it everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlov556 View Post
    Did anyone see WNEP at 5 today they said it was because DHS came up with new regs after the Boston bombing..
    A legal gun is exactly that....legal. Why would any regs make it illegal? Stupid beyond belief.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Columbia County)

Thanks to the two assholes that were involved in the Boston marathon bombings, I suspect that no guns and stop, frisk and search are going to be commonplace at more events open to the public.
    However I would be surprised if a boycott of the fair would work. Some may cite the successful boycott of the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show however there are different circumstances in these events. The Eastern Sports and Outdoor show appealed to a specific group namely people that were interested in guns and or hunting and this also applied to the vendors. Therefore when the boycott took flight not only did many would be patrons announce that they’re not going to attend, but a lot of vendors did too. This led to a lot of other would be goers that may have been planning to go to shop for a duck decoy, that had no interest in “ assault weapons” to come to the conclusion; “ why should I go and pay for parking and admission when half the vendors aren’t going to be there.” This effect would not occur if a boycott was attempted of the Bloomsburg fair.
    Another reason is what I call the county fair phenomenon. It works like this. The county fairs are notoriously filled with individuals known as carnies that are a nomadic people consisting of con- artists, charlatans and other undesirables (some that may be Megan’s Law registrants). These folks operate games that are design to create an illusion to a player that he or she has a good chance of winning but devices and other factors are in place to keep that from happening. If one does win the prizes are cheap and could be purchased at the Wal-Mart’s that’s not even a mile from the place. Often times parents let their children play these games where they not only interact with the aforementioned folks but believe they have a chance to win the game only to end up with the kids or their parents being separated from their money. In addition the rides are temporarily set up for that week only; therefore, anyone should question whether or not they are safe and have they been inspected and by whom. The same goes for the food vendors. Have the food stands been inspected for cleanliness and is someone scrutinizing how the food is being stored and prepared? For all we know those foods stands could be so filthy not even the cockroaches want to live in them.
    In conclusion if people are that stupid to pay to get into an event that contains the conditions described in prior paragraph, maybe they don’t deserve to own a firearm.
    Last edited by eagleclaw; August 30th, 2013 at 05:12 AM.

West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

My email sent:

Due to your "no guns" policy this year, my group will not be attending the fair this year.

Some in our group are licensed to carry and most are not. The group as a whole has decided NOT to attend a venue that allows illegal carrying of weapons but not legal carry.

That's right, only the good guys won't carry OR won't attend. The bad guys that want to carry a gun WILL carry a gun. Our group now fears for their collective lives that a bad guy with a gun would have a "GUN FREE ZONE" in which to wreak havoc on the innocent prey unable to defend themselves.

More bad rules from more non-thinking people.

Good Day
    With great power comes great responsibility....

(Luzerne County)

My letter to the Bloomsburg Fair officials:

Dear Sir,

Hello. My name is Steven S. and I am writing you regarding your ill-advised decision to "ban" the possession of handguns at the Bloomsburg Fair. I have the word ban in quotes because, in reality, your ban is a fantasy designed to make yourselves feel good or satisfy your desire to "do something" no matter how illogical that something may be.

As a retired New Jersey State Trooper and current Pennsylvania-certified law enforcement firearms instructor, I know from years of experience that gun bans are a complete failure as all they accomplish is disarming those law-abiding citizens willing to follow the rules. The criminal-minded will ignore your rules and signs as they, by definition, are wont to do. The fact is, so-called "gun free zones" are a sad joke and have proven to be the most dangerous venues in the country. Rather than make people safer, these imaginary gun free zones attract the evil and deranged like a moth to a flame because those bent on harming people know that, except for the possibility of a handful of police officers, they will have free rein to carry out whatever horrific plans they have for the innocent (and unarmed) families within these killing zones. Ironically, your news release mentioned the Sandy Hook school as one of the motivations for your action. Was this decision made with the knowledge that Sandy Hook was a "gun free zone" and that the school utilized metal detectors? Signs, metal detectors, and other passive "feel good" measures can't prevent tragedies and the failure of Sandy Hook's gun free zone (along with many other examples) should prove to any logical person that they are an extremely bad idea and totally ineffective. So-called gun free zones don't prevent tragedies, they invite them.

Because of your decision to strip me, a law-abiding citizen, of my ability and right to protect myself, my family and I will no longer be attending the Bloomsburg Fair nor will we ever again attend it unless you reverse this perilous decision. With it, you have not made your fair-goers safer, but have made them the target of every terrorist and psychopath out there. Denied the ability to defend myself and my loved ones, it would be irresponsible of me to attend the fair or to endorse its attendance by anyone else. I will be informing everyone I come in contact with to not attend the fair and, from today forward, I will be advising the students of each and every one of my firearms safety classes and training courses that being forced to attend the Bloomsburg Fair unarmed not only tramples on their right to self defense, but also puts them and their loved ones at risk.

It is my sincere hope that if logic doesn't sway you to reverse this decision, that financial loss will. I am only one person, but I am not alone, and when word of this decision spreads, you will most assuredly reap the whirlwind.
    Last edited by XTrooper; August 30th, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
    Steve: NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired), NRA LE Firearms Instructor

(Luzerne County)

Well said Steve. I might have to fire off my own email.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast