Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: NO GUNS at the Bloomsburg Fair

Quote Originally Posted by RBELARDI View Post
    "Proper permits with a firearm will be allowed on the fairgrounds - even though I'm going against the recs from homeland security," said Bill Barrett, the Bloomsburg Security director.

After he first announced the gun ban, Barrett spent a full day on the phone explaining to angry members of the community, why a gun ban was necessary.

"People do not like change. You can't satisfy everybody," he said.
    Straight out of the Federal Statist (mostly Democrat) playbook.

(Snyder County)

Daily Item today...

Fair drops firearms ban

By Ashley M. Wislock

The Daily Item

BLOOMSBURG — Days after announcing that all firearms would be banned from the fairgrounds, Bloomsburg Fair officials said Tuesday that concealed firearms would be permitted for those with “updated, proper permits.”

The fair originally banned firearms from the fairgrounds on the recommendation of the Department of Homeland Security, said Bill Barratt, the superintendent of police and parking at the fair.

But after the announcement that firearms would be banned from the fair, which runs from Sept. 21 to 28, boycott petitions sprung up across social media, with the Facebook group “Boycott the Bloomsburg Fair” garnering more than 800 likes. The page was started by Daniel O’Donnell, of Aristes.

“It’s a common-sense thing: when they say (no guns), that’s only stopping law-abiding citizens,” he said. “You’re only affecting the people that are obeying the laws.”

Barratt said he received numerous emails about the matter.

“I did call a lot of people who emailed me and ... I had a lot of conversations with them,” he said.

After those conversations, Barratt said it was decided to allow concealed firearms with the proper permits, although fair officials will not be checking permits at the gates.

“We’ve never had any problems with firearms anyway,” he said.

O’Donnell said he is happy to see fair officials reverse their decision, but is disappointed the fair’s organizers thought it was necessary in the first place.

“I’m happy they reversed and they realized how many people support firearms, but I’m still kind of disappointed in any fair in general that thinks it’s needed. Fairs were started by farmers and ranchers bringing their animals and to show off their produce and farmers (have supported firearms).”

The decision was also welcomed by John Margel, owner of High Velocity Firearms in Selinsgrove, who said the issue is much bigger than the Bloomsburg Fair.

“It’s one’s right,” he said. “If you start giving up your rights, then more rights start getting taken away. ... In order to keep what we have, we have to continue to fight. We’re not going to give in.”

Margel also said bans on weapons won’t make public venues safer.

“That doesn’t fix the issue,” he said. “A criminal is going to carry (weapons) and they’re not going to take a second thought to rules.”

While fair officials have backed down from the firearms ban, they are still planning to search bags at the gates using a random search system, Barratt said. While backpacks are allowed, they will be searched and Barratt said he’s encouraging all patrons to leave them behind.

“We would prefer people leave them in the car,” he said.

The fair’s security team is undergoing training to learn more about the process, Barratt said.

Also, only service dogs will be permitted at the fair, Barratt said.

(Allegheny County)

Ah yes, PLEASE leave all your guns in your cars so that thieves will be able to have something to take home! *facepalm*

(Bucks County)

Gun shows securities are a mix of nonsense. There are shows with uniformed police at the entrance and shows with none anywhere. I have no idea what effect a couple of entrance-bound police officers will have on a mass shooting occurring deep within the premises....other than to respond post event, after they wait for back-up.

While they put a silly plastic tie through the action that can be easily cut off in the men's room, dealers hand over unfettered handguns along with the ammunition to load them with.

One operator posts on his site, "if you insist on carrying you must show proof of insurance". Really?

Anyone could walk in with a loaded 30-round AR magazine, ask to look at an AR, load it and fire. That it has not happened has nothing to do with the provided "security".

And down the aisle there will be 12-inch Bowie knives, 3-pound studded chain maces, swords and such, all readily available for any nut job to grab and apply.

We have all devolved to symbolic gesture.

Meanwhile, we have lost sight of the fact that included in the concept of concealed is denial of possession.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirlen View Post
    Ah yes, PLEASE leave all your guns in your cars so that thieves will be able to have something to take home! *facepalm*
    I think Barratt's comment was in reference to backpacks.

(Berks County)

"Proper permits with a firearm will be allowed on the fairgrounds - even though I'm going against the recs from homeland security," said Bill Barrett, the Bloomsburg Security director.
    Is it just me? but WTF does homeland security have to do with a fair? They haven't done a particularly stellar job of protecting this nation and we should listen to their "recommendations"?
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    Is it just me? but WTF does homeland security have to do with a fair? They haven't done a particularly stellar job of protecting this nation and we should listen to their "recommendations"?
    What else do they have to do?
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Lancaster County)

Don't understand, DHS has been 100% successful in stopping attacks, except when they didn't.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Chester County)

Like any bureaucracy DHS/TSA are inserting themselves everywhere, so they can grow in size, gain power, and increase their budget.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Don't understand, DHS has been 100% successful in stopping attacks, except when they didn't.
    My tiger-repelling rock has a better record.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast