Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Maine CCW Long Processing Times 5-6 months

Heads up, in March I submitted my paperwork to renewal my Maine concealed carry permit. Maine lists a 90 day processing time, but it was yesterday at nearly 6 months later that I received my renewed license.

Also, the paperwork now includes releases medical/mental history that have to be signed by a witness. There is no indication that it has to be notarized. I'm assuming this new step in the processes is the reason for such a delay.
    "If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Maine CCW Long Processing Times 5-6 months

I received my Maine:

Applied: January 18, 2013
    Issued: April 25 2013
    Received: April 29, 2013

My first time applying. Took 89 days for them to mail it to me.

Here's my thread on the subject:http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...ong-issue.html

GBrown221 called the Maine State Police:

I spoke to Colonel Fleming's Chief of Staff at the Maine State Police. Maine is used to receiving 100- 250 applications a month for non residents and currently seeing approximately 3 to 5 K applications a month. Hence the delay.
    Last I checked [a few months ago] they said to wait up to 150 days for a NR permit. Good luck to any one applying.

Hell, There was one guy [RuthlessZ] on my thread who applied a few days after me and he still hasn't gotten his permit yet. Calling and E-mail have no responses.

I live in Maine now, and applied for my permit in mid June. After the legally allowed 60 days waiting period I called to ask where my permit was. The Sgt I talked to was not appreciative of my reminder about the time limit.

I then talked to his Lieutenant and had a much better conversation, but still was told that they do what they want, and they were just getting to May's applications.

They just called me today and told my that my Green Card status didn't allow them to perform an adequate background check and that I need Canada to run one on me. This is ridiculous, I have been through so many different checks and fingerprinted multiple times for my permanent residency.

So, they seem to have bumped me sooner on the list... but are trying to make things difficult for me...

Not sure if this helps anyone... but calling to complain got me attention, just make sure there is ZERO that they can use against you.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jokester View Post
    I live in Maine now, and applied for my permit in mid June. After the legally allowed 60 days waiting period I called to ask where my permit was. The Sgt I talked to was not appreciative of my reminder about the time limit.

I then talked to his Lieutenant and had a much better conversation, but still was told that they do what they want, and they were just getting to May's applications.

They just called me today and told my that my Green Card status didn't allow them to perform an adequate background check and that I need Canada to run one on me. This is ridiculous, I have been through so many different checks and fingerprinted multiple times for my permanent residency.

So, they seem to have bumped me sooner on the list... but are trying to make things difficult for me...

Not sure if this helps anyone... but calling to complain got me attention, just make sure there is ZERO that they can use against you.
    Maybe you just pissed them off so there giving you the run around. Either way good luck, and let us know what the Canadian authorities say when you tell them you need a background for a carry permit in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRaider5 View Post
    Maybe you just pissed them off so there giving you the run around. Either way good luck, and let us know what the Canadian authorities say when you tell them you need a background for a carry permit in the states.
    Yeah, I think I must have. That should be an interesting conversation, I'll keep you posted.

Just a follow up. My wife received her CCW after only 2 months. So pestering works... to a degree.

Mine is still being held up by Sgt Friendly. We are moving to a new county though, and after talking with the captain of that PD it seems like I will have no problems getting mine in a timely fashion.