Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: SBR upper?

(Delaware County)

Default SBR upper?

If I want to add a SBR upper to my Ar. Do I have to fill out the same paper work if I was buying a Full Auto? If not what form do I have to get and also do I still need finger prints and have a County Sheriff to sign off or my local Chief of police?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: SBR upper?

Rifle first, rifle last, rifle always.

(Bucks County)

the barrel/upper is not what makes the firearm an SBR, the lower reciever that is registered as an SBR does...

you can buy a 7.5'' upper and put it on a pistol legally, you could buy one and not even have a pistol lower (but then you get into the gray area of possible intent).

(Montgomery County)

If you buy a Registered M16 (which I assume you are since you mentioned buying "full auto"), you must transfer through the ATF Form-4. Form-4s are for transfers since civilian M16s can only be transferred and not built. Form-1s are for building an SBR.

When you receive your stamp and M16, it is a registered lower and therefore no additional paperwork is required to add an SBR upper to the registered M16 lower.

If you are not buying a transferable M16, then you would have to either transfer the SBR lower ( buying the SBR lower straight from factory on a Form-4) or register/build your standard AR15 lower into an SBR lower (Form-1).

If you are not buying an M16, its easier to just buy a standard AR15 lower and register/manufacture the lower into a registered NFA lower by Form-1. No class 3 dealer is involved or transfer payment required as long as you are willing to do the paperwork.
    Last edited by FJR86; September 1st, 2013 at 10:04 AM.