Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default Right/Left cross dominance

Sounds like a risque book title, but is much more mundane.

I'm right-handed and left-eye dominant. Didn't used to be that but at my most recent eye exam I found that I have a cataract started on my right lens. I was grumping at the eye Doc about not being able to get as clear a view with my right eye as with my left. He casually said that was because I had a cataract forming.

I can still see the target and can hit it as well as ever. But the whole process of sighting and firing takes longer. Some of the reason that I started to school myself in handguns was for self defense so this slow down is beginning to raise concerns.

I know that I'm already at a disadvantage with regard to my age versus a younger person.

So the question comes, is there any magic, or at least tips or tricks to help me deal with this gift of advancing years? :-P

Dan
    Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat. NRA Life Member

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Right/Left cross dominance

Are you already shooting with both eyes open?

Lycanwecanstarttherethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Lehigh County)

Can u get the cataract issue fixed? if not, you may have to learn to shoot with the other hand.

I have this also. I have an astigmatism in my right eye that causes me to shoot left dominate. Just get a clear sight picture and it should be the same. No matter what eye you use clear sight pic is the same

I compensate by turning my head to the right when I shoot a pistol, keeping both eyes open.

With a scoped rifle - it is what it is. I still shoot right handed. Learning to shoot left handed will limit the availability of what I can shoot.

(Bucks County)

I am also cross dominant. For right now I still close the right eye, shift my head a little bit and have adjustable sights. At some point I do want to start taping one of the lenses and going both eyes open. Right now I can't get the hang of it.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Allegheny County)

I'm left-handed and left-eye dominant, so not a big deal with pistols. But when I shot competitive rifle as a kid, my competition rifle was right handed. I had to 'train' my eyes to let the right one take dominance (peep sights made it a tad easier). It takes a bit of practice to do though, and is very tough to do without a positive "hole" of some sort to look through. I eventually just made a blinder that attached to the peep sight, and blocked my dominant eye's sightline. Not something you can really do with open pistol sights.

It's a bit of a crutch, but you could compensate, by adding a Crimson Trace or other laser to the pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by freesoul View Post
    ...With a scoped rifle - it is what it is. I still shoot right handed. Learning to shoot left handed will limit the availability of what I can shoot.
    With a scoped rifle, you can always add/make a blinder like I did. Again, not ideal for hunting/defense, but if your just putting holes in paper....

As for pistols, shooting lefty doesn't really limit me. Anymore, a large portion of pistols are ambidextrous, and most of the ones that aren't, I can still work the controls.

(Montgomery County)

I'm similarly cursed. Right handed and left eye dominant. With extensive practice, I've learned to shoot left handed for long guns, and stand flat foot with pistol extended in right hand and head tilted to right to line up left eye with pistol sights. I should also mention, I'm shooting cowboy action, so we're talking a LOT of long gun practice handling the lever action and pump guns in the less dominant side. I hope someday to perfect the left hand pistol handling so I can shoot ambidextrously.

(Lycoming County)

Just now, I find that I squint the right eye, and as was suggested, and turn slightly to the right to get better alignment with my left (clearer) eye. At this point I have to "think it through" because I switch back to right, then to left and so on.

Quote: "With a scoped rifle, you can always add/make a blinder like I did. Again, not ideal for hunting/defense, but if your just putting holes in paper."

Yeah, it's the defense thing that has me worried. I'm pretty sure that I can defeat a paper target in close-quarter combat. It's the young, strong, moving target that has me worried.

I'm thinking that LOTS of practice will help. Given the cost of ammo, one of the practice targeting setups may be my best bet. Not cheap, surely not as much fun, but more available than 9mm ammo.
    Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat. NRA Life Member

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by drose40 View Post
    Quote: "With a scoped rifle, you can always add/make a blinder like I did. Again, not ideal for hunting/defense, but if your just putting holes in paper."

Yeah, it's the defense thing that has me worried. I'm pretty sure that I can defeat a paper target in close-quarter combat. It's the young, strong, moving target that has me worried.
    Just a thought, and trying to help with possible solutions for you...

If your concerned about CQC with a rifle, would an Eotech, or similar 'red dot' type of sight be an option?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast