Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Indiana County)

Default Open Carry, Cambria/Indiana County

Light shirt, tucked into my jeans, Hi-Point C-9 in a FOBUS holster on my hip.

First stop, Box Seat Video in Northern Cambria to drop off some DVDs. Comments? Stares? None.

Next stop, Nick's Tobacco Shop to pick up some cigarette tubes. Comments? Stares? None.

Next stop, Strollo's Tru-Value hardware store to get some 2-cycle oil for the rototiller. Comments? Stares? None.

Next stop, Sheetz to fill up the Geo Tracker and two gas containers (one for the yard tractor, one for the rototiller). Comments? Stares? None.

Next stop, barbershop (an overdue haircut). Comments? Stares? None.

Last stop, Giant Eagle to get a bag of dogfood. Comments? Stares? None.

Did a bunch of yard work, still carrying. The borough's Mayor stopped by the house, and we both went to the Borough Building so I could give him some material he was looking for (I'm the Borough Council President). Still carrying. We chatted, he passed on some info, I reminded him that because of what he passed on was one of the reasons I carry at Borough Council meetings.

All in all, an uneventful open-carry afternoon.

Oh, on the way home from all the errands I took a detour, found an isolated spot near an abandoned coal mine, set up a target with a hill as a backstop, and did some target practice. Actually had one shot hit the target dead center. I guess I'm getting better.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Open Carry, Cambria/Indiana County

Nice report

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Cambria County)

Wow, Stat, you OC'd from one end of town to the other. Good report.
    Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him.

(Indiana County)

Again, the usual spots, not problems (do they even notice?).

Will be attending Monday morning's Memorial Day service as a borough dignitary. Might wear a jacket (and thus be concealed), or might not (and thus carry openly). I don't care any more. Maybe I'm feeling froggier (is that a word?) because of the Dickson City Incident.

Didn't win anything at the Eagles gun bash in Indiana last week, but my son got a Taurus .357 snubbie. Tomorrow we'll head out to Greenwich Mine and pop a few caps. He says it kicks like a mule.

Maybe I'll win something at the Cherry Tree Volunteer Fire Company's gun/cash giveaway on May 31st.

(Jefferson County)

I've OC'd in Indiana and Cambria counties too. The only two "incidents" were weird stares from a girl at the Sheetz on Franklin St in Johnstown and a look of panic from a heavy set guy in line at the Sheetz in Homer City. ..the rest of the travels were event free.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Indiana County)

Nope, didn't open carry at this morning's Memorial Day ceremonies. I was a "dignitary" so I was wearing a sports jacket.

But, I did open carry when I later on had to run to Nick's Tobacco Shop, Dollar General and Giant Eagle. I'm not sure if the proprietor at Nick's stared or not, but that was about it.

Thanks for the postings Statkowski! I went to college at IUP, lo these many years past, and so while I have never really been to Cherry Tree, we went past it more times than I can remember on our way down from I 80. I had friends out in Shelocta, and spent a lot of time shooting and hunting out in that part of the county.

(Indiana County)

They had a gun raffle at the Cherry Tree Volunteer Fire Company yesterday. I didn't stay all five hours, but to the best of my knowledge I didn't win anything.

Cargo pants shorts, casual shirt (tucked in), Hi-Point C-9 on my right hip, sterile carry (no ID, no LTCF).

The fire chief noticed I had mine, so he had to show me his. Gave him a handful of PAFOA flyers to hand out.

Our local cop asked if it was a .45 (a Hi-Point Compact isn't so compact). Told him what it was, he responded, "Good gun."

Large crowd, no puddles left on the ground, no old ladies fainting.

I do believe out here in Westylvania the local populace has a better grip on reality.

Yes, I'll be carrying at Tuesday night's borough council meeting.
    Last edited by Statkowski; June 1st, 2008 at 09:04 AM. Reason: typo

(Carbon County)

A little of the topic but I have family out there in Northern Cambria. We have gone out there before, Always CC'ed but next time out that way I will be OC. Seems that you guys are a little more friendly towards OC. Good luck.
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you!

(Indiana County)

Just added a new place where I OPENLY CARRIED WITHOUT AN INCIDENT:

The state liquor store in what was Barnesboro (but is now Northern Cambria) - needed a bottle of wine for our adopted son's graduation from BCT/AIT/Airborne training with the US Army.

Recently stopped by a local girl's high school graduation party. One of the five-year-old kids wanted to know why I had a knife and a gun on my belt. I told him the knife was a tool, used for cutting things like string or rope. He seemed happy and wandered off. Our police chief was there. He was curious as to why I was packing. Told him I had just got back from shooting with my son. Nothing else mentioned.

Openly carried at our borough council meeting. Nobody said a word on the subject. Did they notice? I don't care. I don't worry about it any more.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast