Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Clearfield County)

Default Re: Open Carry, Cambria/Indiana County

I have family that lives down in Indiana County. Never had any problem OC or CC there.

I have gotten some odd stares and a few "what's a little thang like you doing with one of them there firearms?" at "Jine Iggle", otherwise nothing in that town.

(Indiana County)

Wife's sister coming in for a week-long visit. She's had it with Connecticut and is seriously looking for a place where she can relax. So, I had to drive down to the Johnstown train station to pick her up (could have done it at Altoona except this way she got to experience Horse Shoe Curve).

Light shirt, tucked in, blue jeans, Vietnam Vet baseball cap, Hi-Point C-9 on my hip in a Fobus holster, three o'clock position.

First stop Fye's Corner Market in Cherry Tree to get some coffee filters for the coffee pot.

Second stop Nick's Tobacco Shop in Spangler (now Northern Cambria).

Last stop Johnstown Amtrak station. Arrived ten minutes early, train was 20 minutes late. Walked through the station, hung out on the platform to take advantage of the breeze. Chatted with people. Discovered the rail was a Bethlehem Steel product from their Steelton rolling mill, 140-pound weight, and was produced in 1973. One elderly gentleman noticed my hat and told me he had escaped Vietnam in 1979. Chatted about the yellow songbirds flittering about with a lady in her late 40s. Train finally showed up with my sister in-law. Got in the car, drove 40 miles home.

NOBODY NOTICED OR MADE A COMMENT ABOUT ME OPEN CARRYING, INCLUDING MY SISTER IN-LAW FROM CONNECTICUT!

(Indiana County)

You should take your family to Blue Spruce park for the day. I'd personally like to make it our to a park this weekend.

(Indiana County)

Regarding Blue Spruce Park, I'm waiting for the County Commissioners to get back to me regarding their ordinance.

Today I took my sister in-law down to Johnstown to catch the train back to Connecticut. All the time she's been here she never commented once about my open carry, not that I went out much with her (picked her up at the train station, had dinner in a local restaurant yesterday, and dropped her off at the train station) - my wife did most of the running around.

Today I stopped at Sheetz in Carrolltown for gas, OCing of course, then it was down to Johnstown. Got there ten minutes early, the train was an hour late. So, we spent the hour up on the platform watching trains and talking with people (fairly crowded, too).

One eight-year-old boy noticed my pistol and immediately had to tell me all about the guns his grandfather had, plus his very own BB gun. When the train finally arrived, one of the Trainmen wanted to know if I was carrying a "Gluck" (yes, that's what he said). I gave him a Pa. Firearms Rights flyer.

One more stop at Sheetz in Carrolltown on the way home, this time for coffee, then a stop at the First Commonwealth Bank for some money (a legal withdrawal, of course). Chatted with the tellers.

Uneventful open carry. Nobody shot, nobody with bladder-control problems, no urgent 911 calls, no SWAT teams surrounding me.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post

One eight-year-old boy noticed my pistol and immediately had to tell me all about the guns his grandfather had, plus his very own BB gun. When the train finally arrived, one of the Trainmen wanted to know if I was carrying a "Gluck" (yes, that's what he said). I gave him a Pa. Firearms Rights flyer.

One more stop at Sheetz in Carrolltown on the way home, this time for coffee, then a stop at the First Commonwealth Bank for some money (a legal withdrawal, of course). Chatted with the tellers.

Uneventful open carry. Nobody shot, nobody with bladder-control problems, no urgent 911 calls, no SWAT teams surrounding me.
    That made me laugh , keep up with the OC! Do you think its wise to oc in pittsburgh?

(Armstrong County)

Not only do I OC everywhere in Armstrong and Indiana Counties but I OC in Pittsburgh, Monroeville, Greensburg and the surrounding areas. I have yet to have any real problems.
    Ed
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
    That made me laugh , keep up with the OC! Do you think its wise to oc in pittsburgh?

No problems in Pittsburgh. I work at Station Square for U.S. Bank in Pittsburgh and communte from Turtle creek, East of Pittsburgh. I OC in Pittsburgh, Monroeville, Turtle Creek, Wilkins, and Churchill. No issues. Only issue I've ever had was a call to LEO from a "concerned citizen" at the shop n save in Wilkins. Police actually educated the caller on their arrival as to the legality of OC!! No request for my ID or anything!! Completely amazing.
    The 2nd amendment is the RESET BUTTON on the constitution.
    Faith, Fun, and Firearms.
    Grace Life Church member

(Allegheny County)

^ Good to hear. I imagine it won't be a problem in Sq. Hill/Homestead (Waterfront area), Southside, Mt. Washington either?

(Indiana County)

Borough Council meeting tonight. As President, I led everyone off with the Pledge of Allegiance. Kind of hard to miss my open-carried Hi-Point C9 (with Desert Tan grips) on my right hip since I had to turn to my left to salute the flag. No comments or questions from any council or audience members. Oh, one council member wanted to know if it was a .380 (I told him it was a 9mm). A few months back I told all the council members the story of Kirkwood, Missouri.

Our part-time police officer was there in civilian attire (although he was wearing a badge on a chain around his neck), and I gave him a Pennsylvania Gun Rights tri-fold flyer. He appreciated it.

The only gun incident of the evening was when the officer was leaning back on his folding chair and his Glock and holster fell out of the small of his back onto the floor. Embarrassing for him, and the Glock stayed in the holster, it's just that the holster didn't stay where it was supposed to stay.

(Venango County)

sounds like you need to "educate" the LEO on retention, LOL

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast