Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Front Sight Came Off - M57

Shooting milsurp ammo today I noticed on the second magazine all my shots were pulling left. I looked and the front sight was just barely still in the slide. Turned the gun sideways and it fell out. I still have it but have no idea how to keep it in place. It will slide back in place and the dovetails are still there but it is very loose and will come right back out. I don't see super-glue holding. Could I take a punch or flat chisel and try to close the gap a little between the front and back dovetails (to make it a tighter fit)?

Edit: I've only had it for about 2 weeks. Would I just be better off sending it back to J&G for repair / replacement? Their website says it can go back to them versus dealing with Century (importer)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rblakely; August 25th, 2013 at 05:20 PM.

III% - Stand and be counted

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Front Sight Came Off - M57

Quote Originally Posted by Rblakely View Post
    I don't see super-glue holding.
    What about locktite ?

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Is this the same gun that was jamming on the last round of each magazine that you posted a week or two ago?
    ...and they have a plan...

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-three View Post
    Is this the same gun that was jamming on the last round of each magazine that you posted a week or two ago?
    Yep, after I tweaked the follower on both magazines that problem went away. I just put everything back in the original box. I am leaning pretty hard on calling J&G tomorrow and asking for another gun. If they replace this one will it have to go through an FFL again?

Yep, after I tweaked the follower on both magazines that problem went away. I just put everything back in the original box. I am leaning pretty hard on calling J&G tomorrow and asking for another gun. If they replace this one will it have to go through an FFL again?
    Not ever having sent a gun back, my guess would be yes. I have an FFL near me that charges $30 (a good deal in my area), but it is still $30. Is your gun one of the new Zestava m57s? I have one as well. My front sight is secure, but is slightly higher than it need to be (or maybe the rear is too low), causing me to shoot low unless I raise the front site above the rear site. I don't know if a touch of glue of the answer for you. Even if you glued it in, it could probably be tapped out if you needed to remove it later.

(York County)

Not ever having sent a gun back, my guess would be yes. I have an FFL near me that charges $30 (a good deal in my area), but it is still $30. Is your gun one of the new Zestava m57s? I have one as well. My front sight is secure, but is slightly higher than it need to be (or maybe the rear is too low), causing me to shoot low unless I raise the front site above the rear site. I don't know if a touch of glue of the answer for you. Even if you glued it in, it could probably be tapped out if you needed to remove it later.
    It is a new Zastava M57 from J&G. Before today's problem the sights were dead on for me. It held tight groups at 25'. The only issue i had was the combat sights were a little hard to pick up in low light.

I would rather not go through the hassle of sending it back if I don't have too. Transfer was only $20 from an FFL less than 1/4 mile from my house (he is only $15 on long guns). I called J&G after I had the magazine problems and they agreed to sell me 400 rounds of surplus ammo at 1/2 off for my trouble. Thought that was pretty decent but after I shot it for the first time today I had about 15% that required a second hammer drop to go off. If I can get the sight to stay on reliably I'd be ok with not sending it back. I'm still going to call them tomorrow and see what they say.

It is a new Zastava M57 from J&G. Before today's problem the sights were dead on for me. It held tight groups at 25'. The only issue i had was the combat sights were a little hard to pick up in low light.

I would rather not go through the hassle of sending it back if I don't have too. Transfer was only $20 from an FFL less than 1/4 mile from my house (he is only $15 on long guns). I called J&G after I had the magazine problems and they agreed to sell me 400 rounds of surplus ammo at 1/2 off for my trouble. Thought that was pretty decent but after I shot it for the first time today I had about 15% that required a second hammer drop to go off. If I can get the sight to stay on reliably I'd be ok with not sending it back. I'm still going to call them tomorrow and see what they say.
    Were you able to get your front site fixed without too much trouble?

(York County)

Were you able to get your front site fixed without too much trouble?
    I used two part epoxy. That lasted for 4 or 5 range trips and it started to loosen up again. I cleaned it up an re-applied the epoxy but I don't think that is a permanent solution.

(Northumberland County)

Did you get all the oil and grease off the metal before epoxying? Definitely makes a difference. Guessing you did, but in case not...

What about JB Weld or soldering it on? Might not be the prettiest, but could hold up better (I know JB is essentially an epoxy, just thinking it may hold better than some of the others on the market).

Can't take credit for this - I remembered something about this but forgot the actual technique - found this on the Marlin Owners forum...

Always modify the sight, never the firearm. Peening the sight's dovetail is tricky as it changes the geometry between the two mating parts.

Center punch the underside of the front sight a few times to raise some metal up around the punch marks and reinstall it back into the dovetail.

Unless the dovetail is excessively over size or the sight under-size, this usually does the trick.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast