Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default State Game land Regs: Harming Trees

I usually hunt on private property in 5C. This archery season I am hunting in 4D. I was scouting today and found some good spots on state game lands. I know climbing tree stands are ok. Basically anything that only damages the bark, but not the layer under the bark on the tree is ok. (Can't remember the name for the layer under the bark) Cork cambium? And I know stuff like screw in steps is not ok.

Anyway, what about those little thumb tack reflective trail markers? Are they considered to damage trees?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: State Game land Regs: Harming Trees

even metal tree stands are ok if they are the strap kind (no perm modification to tree)

i am not sure about trail markers, but maybe time to invest in a little GPS unit and make your one waypoint files

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by dvanbramer88 View Post
    I usually hunt on private property in 5C. This archery season I am hunting in 4D. I was scouting today and found some good spots on state game lands. I know climbing tree stands are ok. Basically anything that only damages the bark, but not the layer under the bark on the tree is ok. (Can't remember the name for the layer under the bark) Cork cambium? And I know stuff like screw in steps is not ok.

Anyway, what about those little thumb tack reflective trail markers? Are they considered to damage trees?
    Please where did you read that climbers are OK? Ladder stands seem to be OK but I never heard of climbers be Ok. Maybe RWJ could weigh in.

(Bucks County)

Climbers don't hurt the tree and they are not permanent. I was also told by the WCO that did my hunter safety course some 9-10 years ago that they are ok.

EDIT: You're not thinking of the old school climbers with spikes are you? Modern cable climbers barely even scratch the bark. They use leverage to stay in the tree. FWIW, I've had my climber in the same tree for almost 8 years and you wouldn't even know it looking at the tree. And in the same amount of time, I've had chain ons and ladder stands become part of the tree they are in from the tree growing. So IME, climbers are better for the tree than ladder stands in the long run.
    Last edited by dvanbramer88; August 27th, 2013 at 09:05 PM.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by dvanbramer88 View Post
    Climbers don't hurt the tree and they are not permanent. I was also told by the WCO that did my hunter safety course some 9-10 years ago that they are ok.
    It was also my understanding that climbers are OK. I wouldn't be able to say with certainty on the markers but I can't imagine a thumb-tack marker would do more harm than a climber.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    It was also my understanding that climbers are OK. I wouldn't be able to say with certainty on the markers but I can't imagine a thumb-tack marker would do more harm than a climber.
    Yea, I KNOW the thumb tacks won't do any harm to the tree. But I'm worried about the game commission's opinion on whether or not they consider them harmful.

(Berks County)

Those trail markers sure are annoying when I walk in each morning. :-)

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    Those trail markers sure are annoying when I walk in each morning. :-)
    LOL, we used to put them up and down the whole trail when we were new to the property we hunt in 5C so we didn't get lost or lose any stands. And in the beginning, they would get me too sometimes. In recent years I've only been putting a few on and around the tree my stand is in.

(Luzerne County)

Climbers are okay as long as they do not damage the inner layers of the tree. Rough barked trees would not be an issue, however if you decide to put one in a smooth barked tree, you may damage the inner layers very easily.

As for the eyes, I guess the same situation applies. I see them in the woods all the time, along with the twisty-tie markers. On an outdoor forum, "hunters" have posted they will move or remove any eyes they find, arguing that they are "trash" just like the surveyors ribbon marks people use.

(Washington County)

Any climbers that do not damage the cambium layer are ok to use, All modern stands that I know of are fine to use on rough barked trees. Using them on thin barked trees is not smart, they have nothing to bite into and down you go.

Night eyes do not damage the cambium layer however you advertise to everyone where you stand location is. and left after the season are unsightly and are removed when seen by most WCO's and Food and Cover crews.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast