Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default inherited handguns

My father just recently passed away and had a gun collection. My mother wes executer of the will and gave all long guns and handguns to me since I am a sportsman. They lived in New Jersey and I live in Pa. Do I need to register these handguns? They are already in my possesion

(Chester County)

Default Re: inherited handguns

Quote Originally Posted by stanzman1 View Post
    My father just recently passed away and had a gun collection. My mother wes executer of the will and gave all long guns and handguns to me since I am a sportsman. They lived in New Jersey and I live in Pa. Do I need to register these handguns? They are already in my possesion
    Assuming you received them as a beneficiary through an estate distribution -- there is no affirmative duty to "register" them in Pa.

If you intend to carry some of the handguns there is a cogent argument that having those few in your name in the PSP 'sales 'database' may avoid difficulties should a s/n check occur in the future while carrying but that is at your option.
    IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Assuming you received them as a beneficiary through an estate distribution -- there is no affirmative duty to "register" them in Pa.

If you intend to carry some of the handguns there is a cogent argument that having those few in your name in the PSP 'sales 'database' may avoid difficulties should a s/n check occur in the future while carrying but that is at your option.
    Agree 100%. My dad was a Jersey boy and when he passed, I just took 'em. I opted NOT to transfer them to myself since I don't carry those regularly.

(Chester County)

Just to clarify my previous post, it is given "Assuming you received them as a beneficiary through an estate distribution."

If your mother actually inherited the firearms and then gifted them to you, there are several state and Federal laws that were most likely violated by the transfer to you.

The question is whether you received the firearms, as an estate beneficiary in YOUR own right, pursuant to a specific bequest in the will or intestate succession if the estate is without a will. If so my previous comments stand.

If you mother received the firearms, as an estate beneficiary in HER own right, pursuant to a specific bequest in the will or intestate succession if the estate is without a will, they became HER property and the subsequent transfer does not enjoy any of the 'inherited firearm exemptions' embodied in Federal, NJ and Pa statutes.
    IANAL

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    I brought my handguns from NJ when I moved to PA. I didn't "register" them with PSP, but I always carry copies of the NJ sale registration in my car, along with a copy of the MPOETC article regarding the non-existent gun database. You should be able to find a similar document that shows the lawful origin of the guns.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Corn Flake View Post
    I brought my handguns from NJ when I moved to PA. I didn't "register" them with PSP, but I always carry copies of the NJ sale registration in my car, along with a copy of the MPOETC article regarding the non-existent gun database. You should be able to find a similar document that shows the lawful origin of the guns.
    Same here but I used the 'sales database' as one of the impetuses to justify 'new editions' to the collection for new carry guns

In the OP's case the NJ registration, if any, would show the name of the deceased and not the OP. Assuming he wants to maintain an on-person paper trail I suppose he could add the estate distribution record from the executrix. Still there's no guarantee that the LEO will take official note of any paper trail over the 'sales database'.
    IANAL

(Jefferson County)

The OP should be ok.

If I remember correctly, NJ allows for unrecorded bequest and intestate succession transfers. PA and federal law also allow it.

The only crux is - if stopped, they wont be in the PSP's "database". Which means an ignorant officer may seize the gun until you can prove you lawfully acquired it. ...this can be taken care of by transferring them to yourself at a knowledgeable FFL or sheriff.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Thumbs up Re: inherited handguns

Thanks for the responses and info. They were a big help and highly appreciated.