Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Reloading .223, FC, PMC brass out of spec?

Hi all,

I finally broke down and got a dillon xl 650 and have begun making my own loads for the AR. I noticed that when I was reloading brass that was stamped FC on the rim, the primer would not go in properly 100% of the time. I studied the brass in question and it appears to have some kind of ring inside of it. My question is, why on earth is it there and is it possible to remove it?

The ring brings the primer pocket to .168 according to the caliper, where my normal brass was .171.

I also noticed that PMC brass would occasionally have the same primer folding, when I measured the primer pocket, it seemed to be not quite round, being .171 around part of the ring and then cinching to .169 around places. This was exhibited on a couple PMC casings.

To be safe, I've just tossed the FC and PMC casings in the "don't reload me" pile, but I hope I can rehabilitate the FC's with possibly removing the ring?

I'm interested in your thoughts.

-Pete

Default Re: Reloading .223, FC, PMC brass out of spec?

What you are probably seeing is the results of a primer crimp. If you remove them once, you will never have to do it again. It can be a pain, that is why I try to separate my brass into crimped and not crimped.

(Fayette County)

Those FC, (Federal), cases are probably military brass? If so then that ring would be the primer crimp. Needs to be removed before you can insert a new primer.

You can cut it out with a reamer or swage it out with a swager. I use a CH4D primer pocket swager. Works pretty good however sometimes it will not do the job properly. On the cases that cannot be swaged out completely, I use a reamer to finish the job.

(Delaware County)

Get yourself a Dillon super swage 600 it will make short work of any brass with a primer crimp. There about 100 bucks but well worth it and well built.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by K31 View Post
    Get yourself a Dillon super swage 600 it will make short work of any brass with a primer crimp. There about 100 bucks but well worth it and well built.
    thats what I use to and love it, all I buy is LC brass that has the crimps on them since i can pick them up cheap and I have the tooling to do them