Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sig Sauer P6

(Tioga County)

Default Sig Sauer P6

I thought I'd check and see if anyone has any experience with the German police surplus P6's made by Sig Sauer from the 1970's to the 1990's? I've heard around 40,000 of these have been imported to the USA.

It seems supplies of these are dwindling as German police forces have moved onto other pistols and are nearly complete with the transition. I imagine it will not be long before the big sellers of these pistols will be sold out and that will be that. Much like the H&K P7's.

I was thinking about one as the price was less than $450, it's a Sig, it's the right size for what I want right now and for whatever reason I like cars and guns from 1970's/1980's West Germany.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Sig Sauer P6

Basically they are a Sig P225 with a slightly heavier trigger and a modified hammer. They are excellent little pistols. Light, handy and with a slim profile.

As with any surplus firearm be sure to check it over before you purchase. Most of these are in very good-like new condition. A very few have been shot a lot and show considerable wear. I only encountered one in really poor shape and that was out of several hundred I retailed.

The main draw back a this time is a bit of a shortage of spare original P225/P-6 magazines. So many of these excellent arms have been brought in the mags are in a bit of short supply. This will sort it's self out after a bit but till then good hunting.

Good luck and shoot well.

Where are you finding these at?

(Elk County)

To add to what ScottsGuards posted, the P6 is indeed a lightly modified P225, the
    workhorse 8+1 single stack 9mm SIG. The P6 trigger is the so-called long trigger with a heavier spring, 24 lb IIRC. The hammer spur is an open loop to act as a telltale if the weapon is dropped on the hammer -- the loop would theoretically close up, telling the operator or armored that inspection and replacement would be indicated.

A popular mod is the installation of a 19 or 20 lb hammer spring. I have not had good luck with a 19 lb spring due to occasional misfires. I used factory standard Beretta 92 hammer springs in my P6 pistols because I had them on hand and they are about 20 lbs. Work like a charm. Wolff Gunsprings makes 20 lb springs for the SIG.

The P6 was predominantly used by the provincial or state police of the German state of Nordrhein-Westfaelen (Northrhein-Westfalia). P6 pistols have "NW" or sometimes "NRW" on the side of the slide which stands for Nordrhein-Westfaelen.

New grips and sometimes magazines are available from SIG. Mags are sometimes available from Brownells, Midway, CDNN, and Centerfire Systems.

HTH,

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Montgomery County)

I have one that I got from a forum member for <$400. It's a 1980 date code. Mine like most has moderate to heavy finish wear but the rails and internals look pretty clean. I like the worn look but have considered sending it to sig for one of their package deals where they add night sights and change the springs and thoroughly inspect the gun. One thing to note is the ones prior to 1989 I believe do not feed jhp reliably, and mine doesn't. An easy fix for a smith to throat the barrel but I have held off bc it's not my only 9mm. It's more of a collector/range gun. I love the feel of it too. Capacity is on the lower end but that doesn't bother me. It's a nice pistol.
    Now less Glock, more H&K :)

(Allegheny County)

I love my P-6. I bought mine about 8 years ago (I think they were $250 at that time). Initially, I replaced all the springs with the Wolf set. I replaced the factory grips when I got my hands on a set of the Pachmayr rubber grips. I replaced the terrible stock trigger with a "Short Trigger" and added night sights. This pistol is probably one of the best shooting and most accurate handguns of all my semi-auto collection. One thing I don't like about it is the stupid import mark on the frame. Why can't they hide these things under the grips?
    Toujours prêt

West of the mountains, south of the lake, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I bought 4 P6 pistols a few years back when they were selling for 250.00/each. I stopped by Dan's Ammo out near Apollo, PA., and Dan let me hand select them from his stock. I gave one to each of my kids, kept a couple for my wife and I. They are stone reliable and extremely accurate pistols. My daughter still carries hers, son moved on to a P220 (he is a police officer now) but kept his P6. I'd definitely recommend one if you can find one at a reasonable price.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScotsGuards View Post
    The main draw back a this time is a bit of a shortage of spare original P225/P-6 magazines. So many of these excellent arms have been brought in the mags are in a bit of short supply. This will sort it's self out after a bit but till then good hunting.

Good luck and shoot well.
    The mags I am finding for around $25-$40 online. There are also the cheaper "Promags" which don't have a good reputation. I reckon if I eventually get 4-5 factory spare mags for it, I'll be good.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmaster View Post
    I have one that I got from a forum member for <$400. It's a 1980 date code. Mine like most has moderate to heavy finish wear but the rails and internals look pretty clean. I like the worn look but have considered sending it to sig for one of their package deals where they add night sights and change the springs and thoroughly inspect the gun. One thing to note is the ones prior to 1989 I believe do not feed jhp reliably, and mine doesn't. An easy fix for a smith to throat the barrel but I have held off bc it's not my only 9mm. It's more of a collector/range gun. I love the feel of it too. Capacity is on the lower end but that doesn't bother me. It's a nice pistol.
    I looked up the Sig service and it's not a bad deal. I guess it depends what condition the pistol is in when I get it but it's good to know Sig is there if need be.

I do want a Sig M11A1, but don't want to spend that much right now and quite honestly wanted these German P6 and P7 police pistols all the way back to the 1980's when I saw them in the gun books I had as a kid. I think it's not going to be long before they vanish off the primary market as all surplus stuff does and I find once surplus stuff hits the secondary market it becomes harder to find and the price goes up(as with the police P7 pistols).

(Bucks County)

I just picked up a P6 from a guy out in central Penna .. Got a great deal .. I saw it posted in a local trades online site. .. Has " some " wear on it .. Nothing major .. Came with original German holster and 3 original Sig Factory magazines .. I was real happy to grab this ..

Just picked her up last week and I want to give her a good cleaning, Will post a range report for sure. Just haven't had the time to shoot just yet .. But will soon.

Brian
    Last edited by Raystown; December 31st, 2013 at 05:40 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast