Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Upper Bucks Folklore

Good read. Some of this I was not aware of and I grew up in this area.

GHOST MOUNTIAN LEGIONS
    Many Quakertonians in their high school days would venture up to Spring House Lane at night, the road that crosses Ghost Mountain. I thought I’d bring my friends up to date with some of the things I’ve learned over the years. The “Glass House” was built by George Hurd, a wealthy business executive from Bethlehem Steel. He and his wife were huge Doris Day fans, hence the song on the back entrance gates, Que Sera Sera. When George passed away, his daughter moved in, Priscilla, and her husband, she was known as Priscilla Payne Hurd, she built the science building at Cedar Crest College and a wing at Lehigh Valley hospital. She passed away this year you can read her obit in the Morning Call. Her daughter Susan Cummings now owns it. The front of the house it totally Thermo Pane glass, hence, glass house.
    Lassie, how did Lassie get to Ghost Mountain? A little boy, named Eric Knight, living in England, around the turn of the last century had a collie named Lassie; this dog was his childhood friend. Before WWll Eric moved to America. He settled on the Spring House Farm, bringing with him a collie, but not his childhood collie , but Lassies off spring. Eric then wrote the book called, Lassie Come Home. Eric was drafted into the Army Air Corp, his plane went missing and he was never found. His name I think is on our monument in the park. Disney then made a movie based on Eric’s book, and called it Lassie Come Home; it is on TV on occasions. The collie he brought over is buried on the mountain along with many others, as his widow, Jerry, always had collies too. So yes, in a way, Lassie is buried on Ghost Mountain.
    The covered bridge over Cooks Creek is still there; it was rebuilt and now has two small lights in it. Why? Because of us! Cruising through it, turning off our engines and trying to start them again. Covered bridges were kind of the town centers for the country folk. Meetings, weddings and yes, even “Hangings” we held in them, ever hear of Gallows Hill Road? They hung people on the old oak trees at the sharp corner on that road. They say too, that some travelers have been killed at the bridge, as the Q&D railroad cross right in front of the bridge, having no gates or lights, it only had a sign there saying, stop, look and listen. You can still see the right of way where the train traveled. Are their ghost keeping your engine from starting? Is it their ghosts you are seeing as albinos? One never knows.
    People are also are amazed by the two Root Cellars that are across from the farm house. What’s buried in them? What were they really built for? Some say there is a place in the road that if you park your car, put it in neutral it will roll up hill! You guys left that one out.
    Jerry Knight’s son lives there now and he told me cars from many states still drive through looking for the glass house, the Albinos and the bridge. He has to put up a motion detector light in the fall of the year because of the traffic that we kept creating with our stories. If you go to “You Tube” and search Ghost Mountain, a woman has a video. She drove through at night and she says she captured a ghost on it.

Default Re: Upper Bucks Folklore

I love Bucks Co. ghost stories. We almost bought a house on Gallows Hill road.
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

(Bucks County)

Greetings,

Hey glocke12 , thanks for the cool post! We've been here full time for less than 2 years (had our land for quite a while though) and it's pretty neat hearing the old local lore. I'd be interested to hear any more stories you have.

Regards, Jim

(Bucks County)

oh the memories of scaring the shit out of people back in HS

(Montgomery County)

Some say there is a place in the road that if you park your car, put it in neutral it will roll up hill! You guys left that one out.
    I thought that "Gravity Hill " was on the road leading up to Buckingham mountain in Central Bucks. I haven't heard of one near Quakertown.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dosequis View Post
    I thought that "Gravity Hill " was on the road leading up to Buckingham mountain in Central Bucks. I haven't heard of one near Quakertown.
    ya ive never heard this myth for this area, other than you park on the dirt road, turn your lights off and car off, and people had trouble starting their car back up, or found "dust" hand prints on their car

never happend to me on numerous accounts hahaha

(Bucks County)

Any of you old schoolers remember, Hansell rd.s Green light? or the old small church up at wolf rocks off lower mountain, rd.? Man, I remember, tons of places.
    "The chair is against the wall, John has a long mustasche"

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dosequis View Post
    That is correct. If people here like these stories blending a little history and ghosts, this fall head to New Hope and take a ghost stories tour. A good way to learn a little about the town's history back to revolutionary war days.

(Montgomery County)

You guys are making me homesick! I grew up in Warminster and in my youth would travel north up York rd to Jersey to buy alcohol before I turned 21. We would travel thru Buckingham, Lahaska & New Hope all the time. I also had cousins in Quakertown and I would travel up to hang out with them once in a while too. So many good times driving thru Bucks.

bacher2741
    EB EVO KC9, Kimber SS Raptor Pro II,
    Sig 226 Legion, Wilson Combat Supergrade

Ok, who knows about the Pyramids by the lake?
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast