Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default NJ Resident with a Non-Res Florida Permit

Hopefully I will be escaping from enemy territory sometime soon and moving to PA.

Since I cannot move there yet, I have a question for you folks. Law Enforcement Officers please let me know your thoughts, too.

I am a resident of NJ with a newly acquired Florida CCW non-resident permit.
    It has come to light, via discussions on packing.org, etc, that my FL permit might not be recognized by PA due to the verbage in PA's law. Since I am not a "citizen" of either state will I have any problem ?

WHEREAS, the purpose of this Reciprocity Agreement is to extend reciprocal concealed firearm carry permit/license privileges to the citizens of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the State of Florida,

I did call the AG's office in Harrisburg today and and spoke with a lawyer. He said that there has been some confusion over the verbage in the law and that some State Police folks do not consider a NJ (or a resident not from PA or FL) resident with a FL NR permit as valid.

Please help !!

Thanks.
    Last edited by Leade45; January 8th, 2007 at 09:37 PM.

(Erie County)

Default Re: NJ Resident with a Non-Res Florida Permit

WHEREAS, the purpose of this Reciprocity Agreement is to extend reciprocal concealed firearm carry permit/license privileges to the citizens of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the State of Florida,

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will recognize valid Florida licenses to carry concealed firearms by valid Florida permit holders while said permit holders are present in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
    Those two statements contradict. First saying citizens, then say the permits/permit holder. I can't read....accidently put the word "citizens" infront of FL

The license tool on packing.org says NONRES-OK

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/new...led_carry.html

(6) These states issue concealed carry licenses to qualified individuals who are non-residents. These non-resident permits cannot be honored under Florida's reciprocity provision.
    Thats from Floridas site. So maybe it is tit for tat with issue of non-resident recognition. Packing.org though is normally quite a accurate though.

On a plus note, PA does issue non-resident permits. Maybe consider just getting one them?
    Last edited by KeithPA; January 12th, 2007 at 11:55 PM. Reason: read my statement wrong, corrected it...

(Philadelphia County)

My understanding is that PA only issues non-resident permits to people who have a similar permit from their home state. Since he lives in NJ that is highly unlikely.

The law states:

PCS Title 18, Chapter 61, Subchapter A, 6109
    (1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:
    • (ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Luzerne County)

The statements do not contradict each other. In the first, "citizens" is in reference to PA, NOT Florida.

And in the second, if you have a valid Florida license, PA will honor it. Its says nothing about the person actually having to be a Florida resident, or recognizing resident but not non-resident licenses.

You can be from Calif, but have a valid non-resident Florida license, and it will be recognized by PA.

(Luzerne County)

It is time to call the PA AG's office on this one. When the hours of issuing permits were restricted down to a two hour window 2 days a week and only from the Courthouse in Wilkes-Barre back a few years ago I had one hell of a time getting a PA permit due to the amount of people always in line. There were a few times I waited in line only for the 2 hour window to wear out. This was back a few years ago (about 2) and it was this way because the Sheriffs office staff was cut and Judge Peter Paul Olshefski had threatened the Sheriff with being in contempt of court should he bring a defendant to court late again. (the Sheriffs reason for cutting the hours of issuance).
    This is when I checked into an alternative and I got my Florida permit and the AG's office said I was fine but keep in mind I was a PA resident.
    Last edited by CCinPA; January 9th, 2007 at 09:42 AM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

Question Re: NJ Resident with a Non-Res Florida Permit

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    My understanding is that PA only issues non-resident permits to people who have a similar permit from their home state. Since he lives in NJ that is highly unlikely.

The law states:
    PCS Title 18, Chapter 61, Subchapter A, 6109
    (1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:
    (ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions

[/LIST][/INDENT]
    Does anyone know how to access that annual listing of states contained in the Federal Register? It couldn't hurt to know exactly which states citizens are exempt from having a home state CCW. Certain "may issue" states are impossible for the average person to become licensed in. I have seen the home state condition worded in different ways such as: "if your state has a CCW law", "if your states issues CCWs" and "if your states laws provides for a CCW". This can all be missconstrued. Looking in the Federal Register would answer all the questions on the subject; how do we doi it?
    Last edited by noshow; January 9th, 2007 at 09:22 AM.

I did call the Centre County Sheriff's office today and spoke with Corrine. She mentioned that she spoke with Sheriff Nau (sp?) regarding my question to her yesterday regarding PA's recognition of a FL non resident permit. He told her that PA WILL honor a Florida permit carried by a non-resident of FL. Good news.

In addition, and as I have heard, he said PA will not issue a Non Resident PA LTCF to a NJ resident as NJ is a Shall Issue state...... . It is too bad the NRA has not gone after NJ on this one. A state should not be deemed a 'shall issue' when the state does not give a CCW permit to any citizen with a clean record and who can furnish proof of advanced firearms proficiancy.
    Last edited by Leade45; January 9th, 2007 at 06:44 PM.

(Erie County)

Well thats good news! Enjoy your freedom!!

Wow I am an Idiot, i was inserting the word citizen of florida in there. Considering how many Florida permit holders are not residents I'm sure they worded that perfectly.
    Last edited by KeithPA; January 9th, 2007 at 07:19 PM.

NJ's not issuing permits to qualified folks just fuels my desire to move to PA. Plus cheaper taxes and real estate prices is also enticing.

From what I have read on this Forum I guess there are certain counties in PA to stay away from as well. If I were to move to PA, I would be looking to move to the eastern part of PA near Newtown or somewhere on what you guys call the 'main line'.

Not sure of the 'friendly' counties in these locations.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Leade45 View Post
    Not sure of the 'friendly' counties in these locations.
    Buck's County = very friendly. In fact, if I were you, I would take a day trip and go to the Doylestown courthouse with FLA non-res in hand and apply right there. They may simply grant on the spot.

Philadelphia County = very hostile

Delaware County = in between

Montgomery County = ? Maybe some other poster knows...?

IMO, Buck's County is head and shoulders the most gun friendly in the immediate SE PA corner.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast