Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Thumbs down Bad experience applying for LTCF in Levittown

Background info.

I moved to PA from NJ last fall. Grew up around guns, father was police officer, have taken multiple classes..PA was heaven. Went to Doylestown one morning and had my LTCF in less than 20 minutes!

I've been talking to my girlfriend for months about getting her LTCF. She's been practicing and she's good, but it was more of preparing herself mentally, learning the laws, etc.

She finally goes to Levittown and hands in the application. She is rudely given back the paperwork and said she needs to fill in the employer information. My gf apologizes and thought it was for if it was going to be used at work. She then is given attitude and is told that she can't use me as a reference since we live at the same residence. My gf asks that they call Doylestown and this is confirmed by Doylestown. The lady then says my gf doesn't have another reference (she did) and its over.

At this point, my gf gives up and leaves. The woman had already began processing, so this is going to go in as a "canceled" permit request.

1) Was the information about needing a reference from different address correct?
    2) Do you "legally" have to put in employer information
    3) How would you respond? Follow up with the Sherriff?

Thanks

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Bad experience applying for LTCF in Levittown

I would at least follow-up with the Sheriff's office and inform them that you were never allowed to complete or correct the application before the lady made a decision for you. He has to sign off on it anyways so it isn't like she could make a decision on it anyhow. As for your other two questions I will leave it to better informed people than myself however the only restriction I know of is that it can't be a family member.

(Bucks County)

Not a family member was my understanding as well. I double checked, that's all I see on the permit. I will try to see if I can find/quote the law to be sure.

Here's how it is on the application:

FAMILY MEMBERS is pretty vague and it is not clarified anywhere in the statutes, that I am aware of.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Here's how it is on the application:

FAMILY MEMBERS is pretty vague and it is not clarified anywhere in the statutes, that I am aware of.
    It's not. The entirety of the references request is non-statutory. It's arguably legitimate as an exercise of the PSP's authority to prescribe the form and include provisions to ensure compliance, but it's not explicitly called-for by statute.

Seems to me that an unrelated person who happens to live at the same address is not a family member, but there's nothing specific to the LTCF app which defines "family members".
    Last edited by twency; August 19th, 2013 at 09:42 PM.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Bucks County)

Please note. Referances do not have to be bucks county residents (or pa residents for that matter). My fist ltcf app i had a delco resident and a hamilton, nj resident as refs.

Employment they will not call your employer. If unemployed, ask.
    my goal: to get every good person in the philly region responsibly armed.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    It's not. The entirety of the references request is non-statutory. It's arguably legitimate as an exercise of the PSP's authority to prescribe the form and include provisions to ensure compliance, but it's not explicitly called-for by statute.

Seems to me that an unrelated person who happens to live at the same address is not a family member, but there's nothing specific to the LTCF app which defines "family members".

I don't have any legal standing other than my experience, but in Lehigh County I used my roommate as one of my references (obviously same address) with zero issues. My LTCF came a few weeks later.

(Bucks County)

Levittown also gave me issues using my roomate as a reference, i just put in another reference. The application must be completed in full, so employer info is necessary. Even if unemployed.
    Mostly browsing these days, and expanding the collection.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Duece McCracken View Post
    Levittown also gave me issues using my roomate as a reference, i just put in another reference. The application must be completed in full, so employer info is necessary. Even if unemployed.

I put "N/A" under employer, "N/A" counts as a completed field so, no, employer info isn't necessary. You are correct that it is just about always a bad idea to leave areas blank in .gov forms.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Bucks County)

Co-habitation raises some interesting issues. Committed unmarrieds producing a child/children are certainly a family on one level, not a family on another. For example, marrieds can pass handguns between themselves sans FFL, but I'll bet unmarrieds can not. Yet the law says parent to child and child to parent with no reference to married/unmarried.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast