Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Philadelphia Police can't seem to find some of their own guns, including M-16.

http://articles.philly.com/2013-08-1...-guns-firearms

"It was here a minute ago ..."

POLICE Commissioner Charles H. Ramsey yesterday replaced the head of the department's firearms-training unit.

Capt. Mark Fisher, who had overseen the unit - which is based at the Police Academy - was transferred to offender processing and replaced by Capt. Charles Green, who had previously worked in Internal Affairs, Ramsey said last night.

The command switch comes four months after the commissioner asked the U.S. Department of Justice to investigate after a regularly scheduled audit of 1,356 Colt M-16 rifles in a vault at the academy revealed that one of the weapons was missing.

At that time, Ramsey said all of the guns had been accounted for during an audit in December.

Records for the department's firearms are maintained manually, he said, so accounting for all of the weapons can be a long, painstaking task.

"Right now, we have 12 guns that we still need to locate, but we have more than 100 officers that we've not yet checked with," Ramsey said.
    "It's too soon to say we can't locate [the firearms]. We have some officers who are out on IOD [injured on duty] status, and others that are detailed to other units.
    "We also have retired officers that we need to check with, to see whether they might have purchased their weapons when they retired," he said.

Those will be some interesting phone calls: "Hey Charlie, when you retired in 2005 did you happen to take a machine gun home with you?" Just wondering ...
    Last edited by Silence Dogood; August 19th, 2013 at 07:29 AM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Philadelphia Police can't seem to find some of their own guns, including M-16.

Really? They can purchase M-16's? Since when does this happen. What a liar. I can see the trolls with a hand written firearms ledger right now with numbers crossed out, and written in crayon.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Philadelphia Police can't seem to find some of their own guns, including M-16.

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Dogood View Post
    http://articles.philly.com/2013-08-1...-guns-firearms

"It was here a minute ago ..."

"We also have retired officers that we need to check with, to see whether they might have purchased their weapons when they retired," he said.

Those will be some interesting phone calls: "Hey Charlie, when you retired in 2005 did you happen to take a machine gun home with you?" Just wondering ...
    How bout it.

There really are three classes in out Country. Political, Criminal, and Victim.

I'm considering some upward (or downward) mobility.

(Chester County)

This is an old story and there are way more than 1 missing. These were given to them by the army and they are awaiting to be converted to semi auto.

News article from April.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Ramsey
    "Right now, we have 12 guns that we still need to locate, but we have more than 100 officers that we've not yet checked with," Ramsey said.
    Also . . .

Our conversation here on PAFOA
    Last edited by dunno; August 19th, 2013 at 08:08 AM.
    Jimmy cracked corn and HE didn't care! Why should I?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by dunno View Post
    These were given to them by the army and they are awaiting to be converted to semi auto.
    Where's the fun in that?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Where's the fun in that?
    I hear ya, but then it IS Philly isn't it!

Funny part is that if one of US "lose" a 5 shot snub nose we lose our LCTF and face a court battle. However the Philly "machine" can lose full blown machine guns and NOTHING will happen.

So I guess between April and August they still have yet to FLUP with the 100 officers to see if they forgot that they still have the "high powered, assault, baby killing, bayonet holding, military, machine guns". LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Johnny Law
    OOPS, sorry guys, I forgot it was in my glove box.
    Last edited by dunno; August 19th, 2013 at 08:16 AM. Reason: additional ranting. Lol
    Jimmy cracked corn and HE didn't care! Why should I?

(Philadelphia County)

I don't know what's more disturbing, the fact that some cops stole the guns and the PPD is covering for them, or that the PPD has over 1300 M-16s in 1 place ready and waiting for the time to use on the citizens of Philly? You just know there is more in vaults around the city.

(Delaware County)

Where's the fun in that?
    The issue, as I see it, is why do "Peace Officers" need fully automatic weapons in the first place?? The answer is they don't and shouldn't have them..

Machine-guns in the hands of police (even SWAT) are incredibly dangerous .. Police when discharging their weapons need to use aimed and precise shots in order to prevent collateral damage and injuries to innocents - you can't do that when your spraying rounds downrange.

It does also concern me that the department has almost four Infantry Battalions worth of Rifles.. Who are they expecting to go into combat against?

(Monroe County)

How bout it.

There really are three classes in out Country. Political, Criminal, and Victim.

I'm considering some upward (or downward) mobility.
    no, only two, Political/criminal and victim.