Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Olympic Arms F/A Registered Receiver Question

Real quick guys, I am looking to purchase my first M16/AR-15 Full Auto Registered Receiver. What I would like to know if the pre machine gun ban era cast lower receivers are any good? I hear a lot of bad things from this company & a couple good things as well.

Currently I am seriously considering buying an Olympic Arms AR-15 5.56mm converted by Frankford Arsenal, Select Fire Machine Gun but of course DO NOT want to be taking for a ride only after spending $16,000 for a Title II firearm.

In other words, anybody out there would consider purchasing said rifle or not.

Please advise gentlemen....

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Olympic Arms F/A Registered Receiver Question

I have nothing to contribute to your decision making, but if you get it I'll buy you a box of ammo if you let me fire a box

Best of luck to you as I'm sure this is an exciting shopping adventure.

(York County)

olympic did not have the best rep back in the 80's, and forged is always better than cast, in terms of material strength. this usually shows up in initial assembly, with people breaking the ears off on the bolt stop paddle and such. it could also show up under rough service involving side impacts, but will not manifest in normal service once everything is together. TIG welding is always an option if something breaks on an aluminum lower.

(Armstrong County)

The Frankford Arsenal conversions are generally good to go as far as specs.
    Now to your cast vs forged...can you inspect the lower before committing?
    Does it function now?
    Do different uppers work on it?
    Do different brands of mags work, tight or sloppy figment?
    Are any holes egged out of spec?
    Its metal, if the trigger/hammer pin holes are egged out, send it to M60Joe and have him install stn stl bushings and never look back.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Monroe County)

I talked to a buddy of mine and he said that his Oly PAWS has a forged receiver, but he had heard of some Oly MGs using a cast receiver.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by yeager484 View Post
    I have nothing to contribute to your decision making, but if you get it I'll buy you a box of ammo if you let me fire a box

Best of luck to you as I'm sure this is an exciting shopping adventure.
    You and everyone else are always welcome to 'Let 'er Rip! I am always attending my gunclub's full auto MG shoots at Eastern Lancaster Rod and Gun every May and October. It's open to the public and of course, the more the merrier.

Thanks to everyone in making your comments heard. I do not intend on inspection due to rifle being out of state. I will kept all that was said under advisement. I do not want a Colt SP1 due to the larger take down pins because of difficulty in finding correct uppers. I've heard that M60 Joe can take care of this but seemslike a real big headache. However if uppers on Colts and replacement parts are not that uncommon to come by, I'll give SP1's a little more thought. As for resale value, I know they command a slightly higher price but not by much , hence my interest in Sendras or Olympics. Appreciate everything guys.

(Armstrong County)

Personal opinion.....if you are looking to spend what the current market is asking on a RR....buy a $300 ticket and go check it out in person.

Modding a SP1 to a standard take down pin lower is no issues. It will probably help any resale later.
    If i were looking for a RR and came across two lowers. One a stock SP1 and the other a SP1 that had the front pin "fixed" by M60Joe....no brainer. I have a bunch of normal uppers that will pin right to it with out issue.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    Personal opinion.....if you are looking to spend what the current market is asking on a RR....buy a $300 ticket and go check it out in person.

Modding a SP1 to a standard take down pin lower is no issues. It will probably help any resale later.
    If i were looking for a RR and came across two lowers. One a stock SP1 and the other a SP1 that had the front pin "fixed" by M60Joe....no brainer. I have a bunch of normal uppers that will pin right to it with out issue.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=361163769

I think I have found what I have been looking for right down to being 'In House'! My credentials are and have been,

1. 11' barrel. Basically a SBR in a small, compact, carbine format. Exactly what I have been looking for. To A T!
    2. Adjustable stock vs. fixed stock.
    3. A shooter vs. a safe queen.
    4. M4 Commando upper with removeable rail to allow for optics if needed or desired.
    5. Pin holes are tight and according to email with seller and has a flawless cycling record with shorty uppers.
    6. P.A.W.S. conversion. Heard only good things about the company.
    7. Colt internals.
    8. Best of all it's 'IN STATE', so it's a straight 1 tax stamp, no dealer fees and 6-7 month wait vs. a dealer F3-F3 = additional 6 weeks or so. Also don't have to worry about shipping and is local pick up relatively close (1 hour drive).

The only down side to it is I'll get banged for PA sale tax @ .06% bringing the total cost to $16,960. Other than sales tax, it's basically ONE STOP SHOPPING!

(Northampton County)

I'm looking at these prices and thinking you are getting ripped off. So I go on Subguns and...

Colt M16s are $20K to $35K now? That's insane!

(York County)

Yeah, try pricing a DIAS....

Videos will be forthcoming on the SABRE 5.56.

I really don't think there are any cast Oly registered frames anymore.
    I say this because Oly DID have a lifetime warrantee on all their frames.
    And even covered the conversions others did. If one broke, they would replace it free with a forged frame AND drill the hole...

ATF made them stop a few years back, but, by then all the casts have been replaced.
    Last edited by Gun Bowanna; August 24th, 2013 at 10:27 AM.
    Wouldn't you like to know what's in my safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast