Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Electric clay thrower

I just bought a Champion Clay thrower that uses a 12 volt car battery. I did not take it out of the box for assembly yet, but I was curious if I could just use jumper cables from my truck battery, or can I buy a small deep cycle battery. I am not going to use it much so I wanted to minimize the cost and care of the battery. The ub=nit was 400 bucks at Grices, to identify the size.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Electric clay thrower

If you use the jumpers just make sure you don't drain down too far so you can't start the truck.

I tink you'll need more than a small deep cycle.

A lot depends on how much it will be used at each session. 100 birds anything would work. 1000+, you better plan your power requirements.

(Luzerne County)

I've been using a deep cycle marine battery with my White Wing for 2 years now, simply because I don't want to get stranded with a dead truck battery. Another fellow that shoots at our Shootin' Hole claimed that he never had any problem using the battery in his Econoline van, when he saw me dragging out and hooking up my marine battery. That had to be the day that, when he went to start his van, he got the dreaded click-click-click.
    I snickered under my breath a bit as I gave him a jump start with my trap battery.
    You might want to get one of these chargers: http://www.harborfreight.com/15-amp-...ner-99857.html at Harbor Freight. For 20 bucks, it charges and then floats the battery until you need it again.

Too Much is better than Not Enough. Words to live by.

(Armstrong County)

It'll work off of a vehicle battery but you risk not being able to start it up afterward.

I also use a deep cycle battery.