Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Building a suppressor

I'm interested in getting a suppressor for my M&P 9c pistol. I would like to possibly try and build one myself and am looking for a "recommended reading" list. I know that there a number of books out there, but I have a hard time trusting peoples review from sites like amazon. I am much more comfortable trusting a recommendation from people on this site. I know that I can't start building one until I start the paperwork. I just want to do some research and see if it would be worth my while to try.

Thanks,
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Default Re: Building a suppressor

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    I'm interested in getting a suppressor for my M&P 9c pistol. I would like to possibly try and build one myself and am looking for a "recommended reading" list. I know that there a number of books out there, but I have a hard time trusting peoples review from sites like amazon. I am much more comfortable trusting a recommendation from people on this site. I know that I can't start building one until I start the paperwork. I just want to do some research and see if it would be worth my while to try.

Thanks,
    I'd like to build one as well, but lack the experience and tooling to do it. I'll keep an eye on this thread though, good luck!

Silencer history and performance V1 & V2 by Al paulson

There is also a Book called Firearm Suppressor Patents by NR parker I still havent bought it yet but it comes highly regarded.

Your best source of information will be the silencersmithing section of Silencertests.com

**building a can for a tilting barrel pistol (that will function) will be a VERY VERY hard thing for you to do**
    No, not billet martini glasses... Baffles.... EVIL Baffles

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtdew View Post
    **building a can for a tilting barrel pistol (that will function) will be a VERY VERY hard thing for you to do**
    Can you explain this a little further?

Thanks for the book suggestions, I will check them out.
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.

(Montgomery County)

Can you explain this a little further?

Thanks for the book suggestions, I will check them out.
    there is a fairly well engineered balance on the manufacture of browning linkless action autopistols.

the Glock, the S&W, and a great many other pistols use the same basic action.

basically, the action works by the recoil impulse sending the slide and barrel back, which ends up tilts the barrel downward, unlocking the action.

the weight of a suppressor on the end of a barrel can inhibit the actions ability to unlock, and complete the ejection/reload cycle.

you have 2 choices on solving this issue:
    1. create a "Neilsen Device" or "LID" aka a recoil booster that allows the action to cycle by helping to unlock the slide. This is necessary for a heavy can.
    2. make a can from VERY light materials, aka aluminum or titanium.

I know nothing of how to make the first, but the second must be very carefully made form sufficient materials to contain the muzzle gasses safely without exploding, yet remain light enough to let the action cycle right.

I have a 45 pistol can thats made without a LID, and it cycles perfectly.
    its made of lightweight aluminum.

I suggest being very careful when designing a can the second way.

get the books, Al Paulsons books are excellent.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

If you try to build one without a booster you wil have to stay under 5oz (for a 45acp) and even less for a 9mm (assume 3.5-4oz)

Thats the weight of a lightweight Al 22RF suppressor.

You will have to allmost certainly go with a welded design since spacers will add too much weight.

If you are dead set on building a 9mm pistol can, your best bet would be to buy a booster from a SWR Trident. Then build a silencer to match the weight, size and length of a trident. It *might* work however the pressure differences between the different baffle stacks may have an unintended (bad) outcome.

**look at it this way, even AAC and Gemtech cant build a silencer as quiet as the Trident, so it would be cheaper and easier to buy a 9mm pistol from a Manf. you like**

If you want to build a suppressor build one for a 22rf. They are hard to mess up, and if you do your research you can come close to commercial level sound reduction (which is not very easy w/ 9mm)
    Last edited by Mtdew; May 2nd, 2008 at 04:46 PM.

(Allegheny County)

So as my first can build, it would be easier for me to make one for my AK than for my M&P? I will definitely keep that in the back of my mind though, I still might try it for my M&P. I will have to see what is involved. I might have to talk to one of my clients, he owns a metal shop.

(Bucks County)

what about using pvc pipe for the can? it's light and made for high psi. i know of one such that works quite well.........
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
    what about using pvc pipe for the can? it's light and made for high psi. i know of one such that works quite well.........
    For a 22rf ok i guess.. It will look like you made it behind the wood shed though. and IMHO will be a waste of a tax stamp.

Al is lighter and much stronger. How are you going to hold any tolerance with PVC.. you cant.

you can build smaller, lighter, and more efficient if you dont use crap you found at Lowes.

For a rifle caliber no way. It will KB eventually.

(Montgomery County)

So as my first can build, it would be easier for me to make one for my AK than for my M&P? I will definitely keep that in the back of my mind though, I still might try it for my M&P. I will have to see what is involved. I might have to talk to one of my clients, he owns a metal shop.

as a note, before you decide to make a can for your M&P, be sure there are aftermarket threaded barrels for the gun, otherwise yer done before you start.

also, regarding the AK, you will NOT be happy with the suppression level you get from the gun...not the suppressor, but the gun itself

yes, the boom will be gone, but the action noise from a suppressed AK is pretty horrific, every shot will be like slamming a screen door.

just rack the gun as hard as you can, and add the sonic crack.

I've shot suppressed AKs in 5.45 and 7.62, they aren't really worth suppressing aside for the novelty of it, IMO.

an AR15 is significantly quieter than a AK.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast