Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Building a suppressor

Quote Originally Posted by Mtdew View Post
    For a 22rf ok i guess.. It will look like you made it behind the wood shed though. and IMHO will be a waste of a tax stamp.

Al is lighter and much stronger. How are you going to hold any tolerance with PVC.. you cant.

you can build smaller, lighter, and more efficient if you dont use crap you found at Lowes.

For a rifle caliber no way. It will KB eventually.
    aluminum isn't necessarily stronger - they both have their strengths and weaknesses........what about a shell from a mag light? or a piece of aluminum exhaust? also, what handguns don't have the tilt up barrels? besides the 1911......
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

(Washington County)

There's more than a few mag light suppressors for .22 out there; some of them are posted on the silencertalk smithing forum that was mentioned already.

The more expensive rechargeable mag lights have internal threads on both ends, so by coming up with an extra end cap you have a sealed tube that really doesn't have ends thick enough to thread for the barrel.

Not sure if anyone made one for centerfire that way yet.

Silencertalk is great for reading about projects built by other people, the methods and tools used, and really everything else too. I may file a form1 this summer and make a .22 can. Seeing other people do it really adds to the "I need to" factor.

(Montgomery County)

lets put it this way, if you make a plastic/PVC suppressor, and you pop it, you just lost $200, as you cant rebuild it without making another, after another F1 approval.

PVC may be ok for a single, or couple of shots, but it will fail under the heat and pressure of muzzle blasts.

Maglites are aircraft aluminum, pistol suppressors are made from aluminum, titanium, steel, stainless, etc...and a lot of rifle caliber suppressors are high strength steel and inconnel, etc.

So you dont make a PVC or plastic suppressor for a real firearm, its just plain non cost effective, and might i say "just plain dumb"

as for other handguns that DONT use a tilting link barrel (and 1911s DO, its a linked, as opposed to "linkless" action like the hipower) you have a few, but again, you are pretty restricted as to what guns you can use based on aftermarket barrel availability...unless you are very good at making barrels

Very few locked action pistols DONT use the browning linkless design, a few are below

Roller locked like the HK P9S in 9mm and 45acp, and CZ52
    Berettas and Walther P1/P38s used the similar locking block action.
    There is also some Rotating breech guns like the Beretta Cougar, and mauser m2, but nobody makes after market barrels for those.

most of the rest are not locked breech designs, which in the larger centerfire calibers results in poor suppression
    Guns like Makarovs, PPKs, Sig P230s/232and such suppress badly, and the noise out of the breech is very loud, due to the unlocked breech.

unlocked smaller calibers work fine as the springs keeps the chamber locked long enough to reduce pressure before the blowback action opens.

so, since the majority of the pistols are linkless browning designs, best to go with what you have available.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    lets put it this way, if you make a plastic/PVC suppressor, and you pop it, you just lost $200, as you cant rebuild it without making another, after another F1 approval.

PVC may be ok for a single, or couple of shots, but it will fail under the heat and pressure of muzzle blasts.

Maglites are aircraft aluminum, pistol suppressors are made from aluminum, titanium, steel, stainless, etc...and a lot of rifle caliber suppressors are high strength steel and inconnel, etc.

So you dont make a PVC or plastic suppressor for a real firearm, its just plain non cost effective, and might i say "just plain dumb"

as for other handguns that DONT use a tilting link barrel (and 1911s DO, its a linked, as opposed to "linkless" action like the hipower) you have a few, but again, you are pretty restricted as to what guns you can use based on aftermarket barrel availability...unless you are very good at making barrels

Very few locked action pistols DONT use the browning linkless design, a few are below

Roller locked like the HK P9S in 9mm and 45acp, and CZ52
    Berettas and Walther P1/P38s used the similar locking block action.
    There is also some Rotating breech guns like the Beretta Cougar, and mauser m2, but nobody makes after market barrels for those.

most of the rest are not locked breech designs, which in the larger centerfire calibers results in poor suppression
    Guns like Makarovs, PPKs, Sig P230s/232and such suppress badly, and the noise out of the breech is very loud, due to the unlocked breech.

unlocked smaller calibers work fine as the springs keeps the chamber locked long enough to reduce pressure before the blowback action opens.

so, since the majority of the pistols are linkless browning designs, best to go with what you have available.
    excellent - thanks - would give rep, but apparently i gave you some recently - you must be full of good information, lol.
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

(Montgomery County)

like most of the rest of the folks here, i just want to help
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
    what about using pvc pipe for the can? it's light and made for high psi. i know of one such that works quite well.........
    PVC ~ 0.051 lb/in^3
    6061 T6 ~ 0.098 lb/in^3

You aren't saving that much weight for the loss of strength, heat dissipation, etc. To keep your can under 4 ounces you'd have to have a volume of less than 2.55in^3 That would be a challenge.

At 1.2 in wide and 1 in high that has a volume of 1.25in^3 So you could have two of them then your tube, maybe. Better off finding a fixed barrel gun or building off a booster, because it probably isn't gonna happen keeping the weight under 4oz
    Last edited by KeithPA; May 3rd, 2008 at 03:22 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Really, my only options are my S&W and my AK. I'm not up to getting my hunting rifles threaded ... at least not yet. : )

It looks like I have some extra research to do on after market barrels for my S&W and on boosters.

I would pass around some "reps" but I don't have any to give.

So if I go with a booster, then I have a lot more flexibility with the can design.

Thanks guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

so is it possible to buy a booster as a spare part?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by andytheswede View Post
    so is it possible to buy a booster as a spare part?
    Yes, but keep in mind that if you don't have a registered suppressor/suppressor tube it MIGHT be construed as constructive intent.

If you want to read about some of the challenges associated with building a supressor go over to SILENCERTALK.COM.

You have to create an account, but it is well worth it, IMHO.

Go to the silencersmithing forum after creating an account.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/

There are some VERY talented, and creative people on there.

Pete A.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast